New project: In the shadow of...

I've had a bit of a creative burst today. The camera kept calling to me, which is exactly how I'm shooting this project - I only pick the camera up when there is something to say.

28712041736_f06744c647_b.jpg

28666591261_c149e2a158_b.jpg

28126361504_448ae803f5_b.jpg

28666592611_5de26f5d89_b.jpg

I'm a little late to your project Dean but I've had a good look through, some very thought provoking images within.
It doesn't make for uncomfortable viewing, that's not the correct term but coupled with your intro, the viewer can certainly get a feel for how you must be feeling.
Excellent work.

Hey Dean. What a great, well executed project. Really enjoyed reading your words about it and seeing the resultant images. They are really very good indeed!

I'm a little late to your project Dean but I've had a good look through, some very thought provoking images within.
It doesn't make for uncomfortable viewing, that's not the correct term but coupled with your intro, the viewer can certainly get a feel for how you must be feeling.
Excellent work.

Hey Dean. What a great, well executed project. Really enjoyed reading your words about it and seeing the resultant images. They are really very good indeed!

Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time to look through them. It's been a real challenge to find the confidence to shoot images that the Flickr world would just pass on by because they're not eye candy, but instead to focus on finding meaning in the mundane.

More very powerful photos, Dean. I find the one with the bars over the windows especially poignant, but I am intrigued by how you took the last one!

Thanks Jenny. The last one was shot with my lighting boom arm.

The latest additions to my project...

30223541476_b5bb2a887c_b.jpg

29607050464_b76c51e645_b.jpg

29607816123_936db17dc5_b.jpg

Hi there, I meant to comment when you first started this project, I've just caught up. The images capture so much, I think that in a way they have a desolate feel, but I hope you find it helpful to express your feeling through them. I really like the abstract nature of them and I'll definitely be following the thread.

Hi there, I meant to comment when you first started this project, I've just caught up. The images capture so much, I think that in a way they have a desolate feel, but I hope you find it helpful to express your feeling through them. I really like the abstract nature of them and I'll definitely be following the thread.

Thanks Susie. Yes, there is definitely a darkness and bleakness to the project. It's been very helpful in showing me what's going on inside. Bit scary!

Holy thread revival, Batman!

I've reuploaded the Flickr link to this project in the opening post because now I'm back in the game I've decided to start this project up again. I guess this will be part two as the Lightroom preset I created for the original set has long gone on an old PC. I think a new but similar filter will help to create a natural gap between the two eras of this project.

Watch this space...

I've settled on a processing look for the second part of this project, and I've uploaded some more images for anyone following along.

I've settled on a processing look for the second part of this project, and I've uploaded some more images for anyone following along.
Just had a look at your project album.
Really like the processing mood and having read your OP the pictures certainly give a ‘mood’ or at least I feel a certain mood in some of them whether that mood is what you felt/feel is what I see however.

I look forward to seeing more.

Just had a look at your project album.
Really like the processing mood and having read your OP the pictures certainly give a ‘mood’ or at least I feel a certain mood in some of them whether that mood is what you felt/feel is what I see however.

I look forward to seeing more.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Well done for the project Dean and best wishes with both that and wider life issues.

I'm thinking of running another project alongside this - well, it'll actually be the flip side of this one. It's easy to assume that the only part of a chronic illness is the darkness and misery, but it's not - there is also joy and light. I will call this one 'And then there was light...'

I'm thinking of running another project alongside this - well, it'll actually be the flip side of this one. It's easy to assume that the only part of a chronic illness is the darkness and misery, but it's not - there is also joy and light. I will call this one 'And then there was light...'
Sounds like a nice idea :)

Sounds like a good idea.
A nice balance to the otherwise ‘dark’ mood of this project.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it if you do go ahead.

Sounds like a good idea.
A nice balance to the otherwise ‘dark’ mood of this project.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it if you do go ahead.
Thanks Rob. It’s going to be much more challenging, I think.

Added some more project shots including this one. I'm trying to challenge traditional angles and the ways we experience being a person. One of the reasons I'm drawn to movement in still subjects is because I struggle with labyrinthitis symptoms and 'interesting' visual stuff.

Edit: damn, our kitchen is grotty! We've been waiting for a new one since before the pandemic, but we needed a new roof which took precedence!

Project: in the shadow of... by Dee Mitch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back