New Sigma 150-600

I have heard that there has been dust issues with the Tamron 150-600, living on Crete this concerns me as dust is a real nuisance. I just wonder if the Sigmas are any better?

I have heard that there has been dust issues with the Tamron 150-600, living on Crete this concerns me as dust is a real nuisance. I just wonder if the Sigmas are any better?

I would imagine the S version would be as it apparently has weather sealing of some description.

Must admit if the lens is better than the 50-500mm OS then I will be forgetting about changing the 7D for the MKII and go for the Sigma S instead.

Richard did you try the lens with your 7D? If so what are your thoughts about this combination?

Yes, I did the field tests on a 7D (AF, OS etc) and optical analysis on full-frame, for a review in Advanced Photographer magazine. It will be published any day now, might even be on sale already. Sorry I can't say any more than that, other than the C version is not expected until March.

Last edited:
looks like we need to hang on till some one buys Advanced Photographer magazine lol when i start to see photos from the c and the s i will make my mind up if its worth moving my 50-500 on and going for one of the 150-600 siggys

Mine arrived from Hong Kong this morning,

First play out, C-17 into Brize.

Nikon D4, Sigma 150-600mm, taken at 600mm, No crop. f6.3, 1/1000th sec auto iso450, taken in RAW just converted into JPEG in lightroom, nothing else done

20141114-DSC_4677 by nigel.conniford, on Flickr

Its rather good

Nige

Mine arrived from Hong Kong this morning,

First play out, C-17 into Brize.

Nikon D4, Sigma 150-600mm, taken at 600mm, No crop. f6.3, 1/1000th sec auto iso450, taken in RAW just converted into JPEG in lightroom, nothing else done

20141114-DSC_4677 by nigel.conniford, on Flickr

Its rather good

Nige
Only on phone atm but looks impressive. Have you bought the 's' or the standard version?

that is seriously good, better than the 500 at 500 too. very good indeed by the looks.

And as far as sigma claim the s is weather sealed :)

Very very impressive. Nigel what are your initial thoughts of the build quality etc?

Looking pretty impressive!
I have the Sigma 150-500 which I find quite easy to hand hold, as I like to wander around a lot.
I have read the 150-600 is bigger and heavier, is it possible to hand hold or would you need a mono/tripod?

When I had a play with one the build quality was excellent including the lens hood! It is hand holdable for a short time, a mono or tripod would be beneficial. Iq looked really good in really low light in side which I posted some totally unscientific test results. Nigels pics look excellent and certainly making me want to save for one even more.

These are really good Nigel.

Rob.

Good illustrative shots Nigel …….. you are using a D4 at high ISO's? ….. obviously from a distance with the bird shots

Have you any images at ISO400 in good light conditions to pull the "noise" back?

are the bird shots on a tripod?

Not as yet Bill, will try and get out and about this week if we get some good light and try some fixed ISO shots. All the shots are handheld

Thanks - are we discussing the "Sports" or "Contemporary" Model here - sorry if I've missed it - just looked back - we are discussing the "Sports"

weight almost 2kgs …. one kg less than the Nikon 300mm f2.8VR with the TC20Elll

I bet the IQ is better at 600mm using the Nikon + TC, (would be nice to see a comparison) ………. OK it is probably three times the price …..and you only have the choice of 300mm at f2.8 or 600mm at f5.6 …...

Last edited:
Thanks - are we discussing the "Sports" or "Contemporary" Model here - sorry if I've missed it - just looked back - we are discussing the "Sports"

weight almost 2kgs …. one kg less than the Nikon 300mm f2.8VR with the TC20Elll

I bet the IQ is better at 600mm using the Nikon + TC, (would be nice to see a comparison) ………. OK it is probably three times the price …..and you only have the choice of 300mm at f2.8 or 600mm at f5.6 …...
or 420 or 510 with relevant TCs Bill, is that not the answer to your quandry?

or 420 or 510 with relevant TCs Bill, is that not the answer to your quandry?

I think that it will come down to taking the 300mm f2.8VR.. or as usual the 300mm f4 with the TC's - D7100/D700/V1 - good for Birds and Dragonflies

plus all the other stuff to take "holiday" snaps

I want to take the 300mm f2.8VR …… but it's 3 kg

Last edited:
I contacted Sigma UK and they told me that production has not stopped and they are expecting 'substantial' amounts of the 150-600 in early Jan and Feb.

Back