Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

(y)Hi Dac,
Thank you most sincerely for going to the trouble of doing these comparison shots. I'm becoming more convinced the the V2 setup will be the one for me. What post processing if any, did you do to these shots, and is there any chance that I could have a copy of the RAW file for the 200mm shot using the V2?
rogerj

(y) Hi Dac,
Thank you most sincerelyfor taking the trouble to do these comparison shots for me.
I am becoming more convinced that a V2 would be beneficial to me.
Can I ask what post processing,if any, you did to these images, and is it possible please for me to have a raw copy of your 20mm V2 image?
Many thanks again,
rogerj

Picked one of these up the other day, for the great price of..... £100!
As new with 12 month warranty, just missing the battery charger and I got a sandisk ultra 16gb card as well. So any tips? And would you go for the 30-110mm or the 18.5mm as the next lens?

@rogerj
No post processing on the NEF files. Just straight export from LR4.
Sure I can get you the RAW file(s). Drop me a PM which ones (took it at 200mm on both lenses).
In terms of IQ I don't think there is much difference between the V1 and V2.
The built in grip, much better button and dual layout makes it worth it for me, but it's a big premium to pay for over the V1.

@delvey
Wow!! That is a bargain!
Re: next lens, it depends what you're likely to shoot. Anything of distance then you will need the 30-110mm. It performs pretty well as it has VR and gives a pleasant but of bokeh.
If you want some nice portraits and are comfortable using prime lenses then get the 18.5mm as it has a large aperture of f/1.8
I am selling both lenses. See my for sale ad in the classifieds ;)

@delvey
Wow!! That is a bargain!
Re: next lens, it depends what you're likely to shoot. Anything of distance then you will need the 30-110mm. It performs pretty well as it has VR and gives a pleasant but of bokeh.
If you want some nice portraits and are comfortable using prime lenses then get the 18.5mm as it has a large aperture of f/1.8
I am selling both lenses. See my for sale ad in the classifieds ;)

Thanks, unfortunately I have a black one, so really would want black lenses

I've just received a used V2 outfit including the 6.7 to 13mm lens.

Very brief testing shows the combo to be superb. The lens appears to be very sharp, with great contrast and colour. I really like the handling/build/IQ/focus of the V2. Looks like it's the travel/casual shooting camera I've been looking for,

I'm testing out the new 10-100mm f4-5.6 lens at my local camera shop tomorrow. I'll report back later.

Here's a link http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/lenses/1_nikkor_vr_10-100mm_f4-56/

A two lens outfit, tiny body, SB -N7 flash and GPS unit strike me as a perfect travel outfit.

Add a 10 & 18.5mm prime (NOT the 32mm as that's priced crazy!!) and you've got most photo needs covered - may be a macro to complete? The 10-30mm does focus pretty close though so may not need a dedicated macro.

Looks to as though the Nikon 1 gear has come of age with the release of the new V2 and the new lenses. I'm hoping the 10-100mm is as good as the 6.7-13mm seems to be.

I'll post how I get on soon.

I've just received a used V2 outfit including the 6.7 to 13mm lens.

Very brief testing shows the combo to be superb. The lens appears to be very sharp, with great contrast and colour. I really like the handling/build/IQ/focus of the V2. Looks like it's the travel/casual shooting camera I've been looking for,

I'm testing out the new 10-100mm f4-5.6 lens at my local camera shop tomorrow. I'll report back later.

Here's a link http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/lenses/1_nikkor_vr_10-100mm_f4-56/

A two lens outfit, tiny body, SB -N7 flash and GPS unit strike me as a perfect travel outfit.

Add a 10 & 18.5mm prime (NOT the 32mm as that's priced crazy!!) and you've got most photo needs covered - may be a macro to complete? The 10-30mm does focus pretty close though so may not need a dedicated macro.

Looks to as though the Nikon 1 gear has come of age with the release of the new V2 and the new lenses. I'm hoping the 10-100mm is as good as the 6.7-13mm seems to be.

I'll post how I get on soon.

I really like the Nikon 1 stuff its now my main carry everywhere camera,started with the J1 now got the V1,was hoping to have my V2 by now
:)

Have manged to click a few test pics with my V2, 6.7-13 and new version 10-100mm.

I still think it's a superb outfit for probably 99% of my photography.

Jpegs look very good on my large home theatre TV, might need a notch of extra sharpness, but that's easily done.

RAWs are typical Nikon quality, very comparable in appearance to what I'd expect from a 12mp APS sensor at base ISO. My only negative would be that the brightness is a bit higher than I'd ideally choose in bright high contrast conditions, but it's so easy to tone down. Resolution is fine, noise at base ISO is present at 100%, very slightly more than what I see with 12mp APS. I've not tested yet at higher ISOs, but performance at 6400 ISO of no interest to me as I don't shoot above 400!

Very crisp and sharp looking A4 prints. My A3 printer is the loft and my back's too sore to get it down! As good as anything I've used apart from a Canon 5D with primes.

Quick test of the 6.7-13 UWA shows it to be a outstanding honey of a lens! Only taken a few f5.6 pics, but they are all edge to edge sharp, with great colour and contrast.

The new 10-100mm f4-5.6 given its range is also outstanding - better than the Nikon 18-200mm VR II. Tested at f5.6 it's sharp at all focal lengths, very, very good at 100mm! Compared to the UWA at overlap, the UWA might? be minutely sharper in the centre viewing at 100% on my 24 inch HD monitor, but it's not an obvious difference. Where I can see a difference is at the very, very extreme edges where the 10-100mm shows a tiny bit of softness (just as most lenses do), the UWA doesn't. Print quality at A4 indistinguishable from the UWA. Did see a tiny bit of purple fringing at 100mm at 100%, but that's easy to remove.

All in all I think I've made a good decision with this purchase, may tempt me to sell all my larger gear! I've had a love/hate relationship with M43 stuff, not liking the colours and action focus I've had with it, but my back has loved the size. In the V2 with these two lenses I've got a highly portable outfit that gives me the sort of results on a TV screen and on A4 prints that I'd hope to get with a large DSLR outfit.

Can't want more than that, I'm chuffed!

Last edited:
looking at one of these for my backup camera, mainly for my 50-150mm 2.8 only thing thats putting me off is the £180 nikon ft-1 is there another option?

I was at the Liverpool 70 year Battle of the Atlantic celebrations on Bank Holiday Monday.

It was a very cold, wet, windy and gloomy day. I got chilled to the marrow, but took a few test pictures with my V2, 6.7-13mm and new 10-100mm lenses.

DSC_1741_zps57cea69e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This was taken at 100mm f5.6 400ISO

DSC_1762_zpsdc9c11a3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Taken with 10-100mm at 10mm f4 160ISO

DSC_1763_zps761dc441.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Taken at 6.7mm f4.5 160ISOfrom a similar view point to the 10mm shot.

DSC_1768_zps5ad491bf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Taken 13mm f5.6 160ISO

DSC_1776_zps2a09c905.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Quick test at 6.7mm f4.5 160ISO

DSC_1753_zpscd67e652.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A very fast moving lifeboat sped by as we were on the Mersey ferry - just a quick grab shot at 100mm f5.6 280ISO - taken at 1/250 - didn't have the time or light to take at 1/1000, my preferred action shutter speed.

Have to say that given the appalling conditions and my fear of heavy rain shorting out the camera (is the V2 weatherproof?), it performed as well as might be expected. Most of the pics were taken at or near to full aperture, quite a testament to both lenses.

A4 prints from RAWs and NX2 look very crisp and sharp.

Confirms my decision that the V2, 6.7-13mm and new 10-100mm will do the job for 99% of my needs.

Last edited:
Two shots of a Dunnock

First one with the FT1 and 80-400mm mkII
Second one with the 500mm VR

Michael, I have been considering this exact set up,FT1 and 300/500 prime. The pics you posted look more than acceptable, but how does the camera focus,speed wise? Would it be ok for more active shots or does the AF not cut it?

Be very interested in your opinions,thanks.

Here's a few I took the other weekend, I went light and only had the Nikon V1 with a 10-30mm lens

It was very nice not to carry the SLR around and just have a small compact package that can produce descent results.

Michael, I have been considering this exact set up,FT1 and 300/500 prime. The pics you posted look more than acceptable, but how does the camera focus,speed wise? Would it be ok for more active shots or does the AF not cut it?

Be very interested in your opinions,thanks.

I would use it for moving birds but mostly slower moving ones. Would not work with fast flying birds or fast moving animals due to not supporting AF-C with the FT1 adapter. For everything else it is perfectly fine.

Cannot wait to use it this weekend with the Sigma 150mm macro OS. An effective 405mm stabilised macro, that's something I want to see!

I would use it for moving birds but mostly slower moving ones. Would not work with fast flying birds or fast moving animals due to not supporting AF-C with the FT1 adapter. For everything else it is perfectly fine.

Cannot wait to use it this weekend with the Sigma 150mm macro OS. An effective 405mm stabilised macro, that's something I want to see!

Thanks for the info Michael.

Dandelion_zpsb69aeda7.jpg

Just testing out a V1 & 10-30mm bought from simonblue on these forums as backup to my V2.

I do like how close the 10-30mm focusses at 30mm!

Here's a handheld pic I took at 30mm f5.6 1/100 sec.

The original is very sharp.

Think I'll have to give simonblue positive feedback now! :)

I'm sold on these little cameras!!

Last edited:
Dandelion_zpsb69aeda7.jpg

Just testing out a V1 & 10-30mm bought from simonblue on these forums as backup to my V2.

I do like how close the 10-30mm focusses at 30mm!

Here's a handheld pic I took at 30mm f5.6 1/100 sec.

The original is very sharp.

Think I'll have to give simonblue positive feedback now! :)

I'm sold on these little cameras!!

Same here been out with my V2 last couple of days just trying it out :)

Good to see plenty of excellent shots taken with the V1 (y)

A few Kites from Gigrin V1 with 30-110

_4539.jpg

_4532.jpg

And a four spotted chaser taken with the 30-110

_4082_S.jpg

About time still only center point AF but a better than nothing. :)

With a bit of luck they will sort it out so we get multiple AF points in a later update.

Back