Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

D600 all packed up, ready to go back to Nikon, in the morning. Hopefully it will not take long to clean, etc.

Took bout 3 weeks for mine, but on a plus point it did come back with a shutter change.

Quick question chaps; what kind of images did you send Nikon before sending the camera in?! Were they your 'normal' everyday images or a white wall at f/22?!?!

I spoke to Nikon Customer services in Kingston recently and they asked me to upload some images of the problem I'm having with the sensor and then they will send me the details of where/how to send the camera in.

Thanks! :)

Quick question chaps; what kind of images did you send Nikon before sending the camera in?! Were they your 'normal' everyday images or a white wall at f/22?!?!

I spoke to Nikon Customer services in Kingston recently and they asked me to upload some images of the problem I'm having with the sensor and then they will send me the details of where/how to send the camera in.

Didn't send any images in. Just used the form, on the website, advising that I'd used camera sensor cleaning and rocket blower (as described in manual), but still some dust / oil?

This was the e-mail they sent to me after our telephone call;

"Dear Nikon Customer

Thank you for your call today.

To enable us to offer the correct advice for your question we would need to see a sample image displaying the problem that you describe. Please attach an unedited image that displays the problem you are describing and please make sure that you do not have any filters attached to your lens.

Please ensure that the image you supply is an original image that has not been edited in any way or re-saved. This will be used in the analysis of the image.

To attach an image to this incident please follow the steps below.

1) Login to your Nikon account here https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form

2) Click on "My Questions" on the navigation bar on the left of the page and select this incident

3) Click on the 'I want to' tab on the bottom right of the screen and select 'update this incident'.

4) The image can be added by clicking 'Browse' and choosing the location of the file on your computer. Multiple attachments can be added by clicking on 'add another attachment'.

5) When you have added your file(s) click 'Submit question' to send the incident back to us and we can look into the issue further for you.

If you have any other queries, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Nikon Europe Support"

John, do you please have a link to the form you used? Thanks!

Last edited:

I didn't send any images in either, just filled in the online form and said it needed a sensor clean, and selected under warranty.

Thanks buddy, muchos gracias (y)

Edit; the irony of even that Nikon website page being broken!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks buddy, muchos gracias (y)

Edit; the irony of even that Nikon website page being broken!!!!

Sorry, should have mentioned there is a certificate issue. Had to use ie to let it bypass.

I am going to pick up my D600 kit today. I have one question for all of you who have bought a UK sourced D600 and registered it at Nikon UK.

Did you receive a 3 year Accidental Damage Insurance from D&G after your registration at Nikon? I remember this came in post with my earlier Nikon DSLRs.

I just want to know if you have received any offer on the D&G-Nikon extended warranty offer - how much is it normally.

I have the option to buy a Jessops plan or the D&G-Nikon one and just want to know the difference in price. The Jessops plan is around £149.

I am only interested in the extended warranty for Accidental damage. IIRC, the Nikon D&G extended care also has theft covered.

Appreciate your reply on this.

I don't remember any D&G warranty with my previous Calumet bought D600

Chris,
It normally comes from Nikon after you have registered the product on the website. The extended warranty is actually provided by D&G. I spoke to Nikon sales on chat last week and the guy said it would come by post after registration, but he said he won't be able to tell me anything on the price.

I brought my D600 from WEX and after registering, on the Nikon website, I contacted them about the additional third party insurance.

This is the reply:

Dear John,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately at present the 3 year cover is not available. This is due to a change in insurance provider that offers this paid insurance cover.

The new company that have taken over our warranty processing are called Domestic and General and they hope to have the extra paid cover available in the coming weeks. If you ave applied for the 2 year extended manufacturers warranty then they will be in contact with you once the system is up and running with information about how to avail of the 3 year cover. You can contact Domestic and General at any stage by calling 0800 5978472.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any other queries please contact us again.

Kind Regards,

J.B. Maher
Nikon Europe Support

I never did receive any further contact and totally forgot about it.

Just something to bear in mind with the D&G insurance. If you are a pro then this may not be a suitable accidental cover for you.

When I accidentally dropped my Sony last year I claimed on my D&G insurance and they did fix it.....eventually. Took them 2.5 months. Fine since i'd swapped to Nikon by that time but had I have needed it back quickly to shoot professionally then I'd be stuffed.

I didn't send any images in either, just filled in the online form and said it needed a sensor clean, and selected under warranty.

Greg, when you sent the D600 in, were you given a request id and customer number?

I received email, with RMA number, but this is no good to track the repair on the Nikon website.

Spoke to Wilkinson cameras today and they have been told Nikon are releasing the D610 to dealers tomorrow (if anyone is after one!).

Just received email, from Nikon, to advise that they had received the camera and repair estimate is 29th October! :(

Have bitten the bullet and ordered a d600 from HDEW to work alongside my d7100 - I shall mainly use the Nikon 24-70 and 105 macro . Not sure about the Tamron 70-300 VC (anyone tried that on FF?).

Anyway , I shall report my experience of both the 600 against the 7100 and what HDEW are like to deal with (price is good for 600 right now)

mikey

OK ordered on 10 and received today 16 (before mid-day) cost £1145 plus delivery 9.99 . HDEW keep you well informed of progress so i'm well pleased 3 year extended cover .
Havn't really had a chance to test camera just setting it up exactly as my 7100 so easy to find things etc - the cams are virtually the same except for the obvious. will further report how I get on with FF - first off I have attached 24-70 .

People who need a D800 will buy a D800 anyway and knows why, so this post is not to question that choice.

In the UK, the Nikon D610 is set to release this week or the next at a price of £1799. The D800 can be had for £1960 (cheapest genuine UK stock). The price difference till today was £160.

This made many potential DX->FF coverts and dissatisfied D600 owners to consider the D800 over D610.

Today, Nikon has released a Cashback promotion with a £160 cashback on the D800 and this will run until mid Jan '14.

This virtually makes the D610 and D800 price exactly same .

I am wondering how many who were waiting for the D610 (as their first FF or who have sold the D600) would actually buy the D800 instead or how many would still prefer the D610 even if it is the same price as D800.

I am new to Nikon FF having bought a D600 last week and I am trying to understand the rationale behind buying choices and needs in a scenario where the price of a pro and consumer model is same.

Assuming Nikon has got rid of oil/dust problem on the D610, I have a couple of questions in mind

1. At this price, would *** buy a D610 as a backup or buy another D800 as backup. The image quality of D600 has proved it as a fantastic camera in terms of IQ and it hits the sweet spot of 24mp files.

2. Would DX-FF converts or enthusiasts and ex D600 owners buy the D800 if weight and processing large files is not a problem. They sure are getting more camera for their money.

I know the D610 price will go down soon, but many would buy it on release and just thinking how Nikon users would decide in this scenario which I don't recall has happened before in terms of price.

Personally, as off today, side by side I'd opt for the D800. That said, I'm sure the the D610 price will drop, rather quickly, which will make this issue defunct.

Wilkinson Cameras still have some D600's left at £1099 if anyone still after one!

Wilkinson Cameras still have some D600's left at £1099 if anyone still after one!

I saw that too, but picked up a D600 kit from Jessops London at £1349. Quidco should give me back £20.

I saw your excellent post on the Nikon 24-85 and Tamron 28-75 comparison. I have a question for you which I am posting now in that thread. Appreciate your comments there.

I've just sold my D600 a couple of weeks ago, partly because of the dust issue.

Part of what attracted me to it in the first place was the fact its basically the same size as the D7000 I had before and isn't ridiculous to carry around, so for me I'd probably want the D610 over the D800 purely on size and I'm not sure I really need the 36mp.

That said on current price I wouldn't buy a D610, I'm sure the price will drop but I paid just over £1300 for my D600 in July I wouldn't pay a £300 premium just for a shutter than hopefully shouldn't have the dust issue.

I was ready to switch back to a compact system but I bought a used EM5 and I'm not too happy with it, looking at picking up a Canon 6D, it seems to me the best priced and specced full frame for what I want, smallish and without the dust issue of the D600 (which is slightly cheaper).

I agree. It has to be a fault. Too many posters are consistently describing the same problems with either dust and/or oil in similar positions on the screen. Lots of pictures on various sites showing the effects. I've been researching prior to purchase and I've lost confidence in the D600 because I have the impression that the risk of a faulty specimen are high.

As much as I grudge paying Nikon extra for a "fixed" D600 in the form of a D610 to replace the D600 I just sold, I've managed to try a Canon 6D this weekend and I'm not sold on it, controls are quite different to the D600 I had!

That said I'm very impressed with the 24-105L "kit lens" and I could currently get a 6d with Lightroom 5, a Battery Grip for around £300 less than a D610 and then look for a used 24-105 which is tempting.

Nasim has reviewed the D610 and from his tests it looks like the dust issue may have been taken care of on the D610.

http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d610

Would have been amazed, if it hadn't been fixed, after all that's all the D610 was really released for.

Would be great if someone, obviously with loads of money, could strip down a D600 and D610, to see the differences in the shutter mechanism.

As much as I grudge paying Nikon extra for a "fixed" D600 in the form of a D610 to replace the D600 I just sold, I've managed to try a Canon 6D this weekend and I'm not sold on it, controls are quite different to the D600 I had!

That said I'm very impressed with the 24-105L "kit lens" and I could currently get a 6d with Lightroom 5, a Battery Grip for around £300 less than a D610 and then look for a used 24-105 which is tempting.

There's certainly a massive difference in the two control methods between Canon and Nikon, but to be honest the only thing that I really miss since moving systems control wise is Nikon's quick 2 button format. Everything else I've got used to pretty quickly.

I've just sold my D600 a couple of weeks ago, partly because of the dust issue.

Part of what attracted me to it in the first place was the fact its basically the same size as the D7000 I had before and isn't ridiculous to carry around, so for me I'd probably want the D610 over the D800 purely on size and I'm not sure I really need the 36mp.

That said on current price I wouldn't buy a D610, I'm sure the price will drop but I paid just over £1300 for my D600 in July I wouldn't pay a £300 premium just for a shutter than hopefully shouldn't have the dust issue.

I was ready to switch back to a compact system but I bought a used EM5 and I'm not too happy with it, looking at picking up a Canon 6D, it seems to me the best priced and specced full frame for what I want, smallish and without the dust issue of the D600 (which is slightly cheaper).

What's wrong with the EM5?

What's wrong with the EM5?

I just found I didn't get on with it, partly finding it quite small (again) and not getting on with the EVF.

I'm tempted to have a look at the EM1, the larger grip and much improved EVF sounds very good but ultimately if I'm spending £1300 on a body I'd probably rather spend it on a 6D (or a bit extra for a D610)

Just received email, from Nikon, to advise that they had received the camera and repair estimate is 29th October! :(

Just received email, to advise, that camera has been dispatched :clap:

Will be interesting to see exactly what work has been carried out.

Just received invoice, which contained the following information, in case anyone is interested -

You can track the return of your goods and pay online at www.nikon.co.uk/trackrepair just enter your request ID
and customer number as printed above.
Tax amount 0.00
Freight cost 0.00
Items total 0.00
DOUBLE STICK TAPE I 0.00 1 0.00
DOUBLE STICK TAPE H 0.00 1 0.00
DOUBLE STICK TAPE G 0.00 1 0.00
DOUBLE STICK TAPE F 0.00 1 0.00
DOUBLE STICK TAPE C 0.00 2 0.00
DOUBLE STICK TAPE B 0.00 2 0.00
SHUTTER PLATE UNIT 0.00 1 0.00
Parts Fitted
SR Repair Scheme 0.00 1.5 0.00
Labour Charges
Thorough cleaning of mirror box, mirror mechanism and sensor area. Performing precautionary measures to reduce
entry/dispersion of dust particles. Please note that DSLR cameras cannot be sealed completely, dust particles could
potentially enter the system during operation (e.g. lens change, focusing/zooming etc.). Please see pages 301-305
within your user manual for further information and general cleaning instructions.
Fit new spare parts

Is +10 an unusual amount to fine tune a tamron 70-300 vc lens ? on my 7100 its +2 !!!

So I'm looking at getting a pair of these for stills and video work - am I going to get narked off by the dust/oil issues or is it a bit of a storm in a teacup?

It's either this or a D610/D800 + D7100...

Received D600, back from Nikon, this morning. Put lens straight on and took F22 against blue sky. Imported to Lightroom and this is the result, when using the visualize tool when on fully and at half.

Visualize Spots Full -

Sensor_1_of_2_.jpg

Visualize Spots Half -

Sensor_2_of_2_.jpg

Using the normal method, I can see about 7 spots on the sensor, so very disappointed.

Am I being too critical, or should I contact Nikon again, to complain and be cameraless for another few weeks again? :(

Received D600, back from Nikon, this morning. Put lens straight on and took F22 against blue sky. Imported to Lightroom and this is the result, when using the visualize tool when on fully and at half. Visualize Spots Full - Visualize Spots Half - Using the normal method, I can see about 7 spots on the sensor, so very disappointed. Am I being too critical, or should I contact Nikon again, to complain and be cameraless for another few weeks again? :(

Sure it's not the lens? Best to rule that out first!

Back