Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Sorry, sure has stated, that I tried on 2 different lens.

This is appalling. If you can afford to be without it, I would get right back on to them and complain. Its supposed to have come straight from the workshop so it should have been crystal clear. Ask them to replace it with a D610 and see what their response is!

Keep us posted and I feel for you. I am just about to send my 6 month old D600 with oil spots.

Have emailled Nikon. Copy of email below.

At the very least, I would hope, they would loan me a camera whilst this is away again. Would be great, if they did replace it with a D610, but there's as much chance of that as me winning the lotto :(

Hopefully they'll come back to me quickly.

I recently sent in my D600, due to dust / oil spots, to have the sensor cleaned. As part of the repair, Nikon fitted a new shutter plate and advised that there was thorough cleaning of the mirror box, mirror mechanism and sensor area.
Immediately on receipt of camera, I attached a lens and took pictures against a blue sky, at F22 to check sensor.
Alarmingly the sensor, as can be seen from attached jpeg images (using Lightroom's visualize spots tool), is far from clean and does not appear to improve using the sensor cleaning mechanism of the camera! (I also tried different lens to ensure it was not a lens issue.) Even viewing the photos are 1:1 clearly shows at least 7 spots of dust / oil which does not appear to dislodge.
Please advise, urgently, how Nikon intend to rectify this situation. Hopefully with a solution that does not involve me being without a camera for several more weeks!
Regards,
John

I cleaned the sensor myself every time there were visible blobs, but the last time (after approx. 4000 exposures) it was exactly the same thing that happened to you. I cleaned the sensor, went out to take a few pictures, and saw a fat blob sitting right there in the blue sky.

I cleaned the sensor myself every time there were visible blobs, but the last time (after approx. 4000 exposures) it was exactly the same thing that happened to you. I cleaned the sensor, went out to take a few pictures, and saw a fat blob sitting right there in the blue sky.

Time to get it back to Nikon. Hopefully, your experience, will be better than mine.

I really thought, the dust / oil issue with the D600, was being blown out of proportion, on the internet. The release, of the D610, just confirms my worst fears. I think Nikon should do the honorable thing, replace faulty D600's, but I'll be amazed if they do :(

Have recieved reply, from Nikon, asking for sample unedited image. Apparently the one's I sent, are not useable, as they have been edited :thinking:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :bang:

Quick update...............

Contacted, via email, with return slip. So camera has to go back again, but they've advised, it will be treated as a high priority.

What really annoyed me, in the email was a paragraph, about how it's impossible to keep dust of sensor, etc. Bit rich, seeing that the problem, this time around, was that the service department didn't clean it adequately the first time!

Complaint sent to Nikon, but don't expect it to do any good.

So much for my repair being treated as a high priority. Have had it since Tuesday and it's still sitting awaiting repair :mad:

Returned the unopened D600 kit and bought a new D600 as body only Will post images and thoughts soon.

This group seems to quiet. I guess other than dust issues, people are satisfied with it in general which is a good thing.

Think the camera is great. My views on Nikon, however, have deteriorated dramatically. Just received another waffle email about dust issues and not even an apology for taking 7 days to deal with an issue as a priority. A full week to clean a sensor............. again.

If I wasn't invested in the Nikon system, I'd gladly walk away.

When I got my old one cleaned I didn't bother sending it to Nikon I send it to their Authorised Repair Centre in Glasgow (A.J Johnston) who cleaned it for free under warranty and returned it in less than 48 hours, however if the issue was persistent I'd be sending it to Nikon hoping for the shutter fix that many people seem to have had.

With this D600 if I have any issues it will be going back to John Lewis and I suspect I'll be paying the difference to replace it with a D610....

When I got my old one cleaned I didn't bother sending it to Nikon I send it to their Authorised Repair Centre in Glasgow (A.J Johnston) who cleaned it for free under warranty and returned it in less than 48 hours, however if the issue was persistent I'd be sending it to Nikon hoping for the shutter fix that many people seem to have had.

With this D600 if I have any issues it will be going back to John Lewis and I suspect I'll be paying the difference to replace it with a D610....

Have already had the shutter plate replaced. This was done, on the first fix, but the sensor came back with dirt on it, so they agreed to fix as a high priority. Seems a high priority, in Nikon's eyes, is to receive the item, let it sit for 4 or 5 days and then do it!

Not getting enough time to shoot with the D600. Took some test shots around house.

Coming from a D5100, my first impressions are extremely positive like
1. Much better build and feels solid while holding
2. Lots of buttons and controls and less fiddling with menu - loving this part
3. High ISO is fantastic. My D5100 struggled with anything indoors at ISO 800 and up
4. Shallow DOF is amazing - I heard FF is good, but now I am experiencing it. I am eager to do some nice portraits.

I will post my detailed thoughts later once I have used the camera for a while.

I tested the sensor with a shot at F18/F22 of a clear sky and no dusts so far. Haven't tested my lenses for AF fine tuning yet, but will test soon.

These two are with the 50mm F1.8G handheld at 1/60 and are just random shots, but thought of posting as my first few shots with the D600. 1st one is wide open at F1.8 and the second one at F2.0.

D600 TEST 1
by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

D600 TEST
2 by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

Last edited:
I guess it was to be expected, but my brand new D600 just came with me to New York for 5 days, the few shots around f14 early on in the trip show significant spots in the top left corner despite hardly any lens changes at that stage.

Had lots of bodies before and not had these issues, so I assume it's not a coincidence, particularly as it's only the upper left that exhibits the spots, quite a common place for it I believe.

No had ANY problems with dust on my D600

On a different note - has anyone used the SB-700 flash with their D600 is it a good combination ?

I have the Nissin Di866 MK 2 and its a good flash but recycling is to slow for me

No had ANY problems with dust on my D600

On a different note - has anyone used the SB-700 flash with their D600 is it a good combination ?

I have the Nissin Di866 MK 2 and its a good flash but recycling is to slow for me

What is your shuttercount John? I thought I had escaped, the dreaded D600 dust issue, but it suddenly appeared after about 9000 shutter count :(

Is it just dust or oil and dust ? My understanding is all DSLR sensor get dust over time. Where is air there is dust :(. 9000 shutter seem reasonable to have some dust. It is the oil issue that is more worrying .

Is it just dust or oil and dust ? My understanding is all DSLR sensor get dust over time. Where is air there is dust :(. 9000 shutter seem reasonable to have some dust. It is the oil issue that is more worrying .

Oil and dust. Sent to Nikon, shutter plate replaced, but returned camera still had 7 sizeable spots, so back to Nikon again. Have lost all faith in Nikon.

What is your shuttercount John? I thought I had escaped, the dreaded D600 dust issue, but it suddenly appeared after about 9000 shutter count :(

Just checked on My Shutter Count and its - 5558

So fingers crossed it does not suddenly appear. I read loads of comments that people had the dust issue to start with then it got better with higher shutter counts not appearing later o_O

Last edited:
Had a good look through and uploaded my photos from my New York trip last week. Really enjoyed using the D600, I had the Nikon 28mm 1.8 and 180mm 2.8 with me, which is a great, light(ish) travel combo, the 180 really is a peach, tiny compared to a 70-200.

I forgot my Gorillapod so did anything over a second using any flat surfaces I could find, great fun!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157637300685695/

NYC 2013: Top of the Rock
by Harry_S, on Flickr

Finally have the D600 again. Still a couple of spots, but I'll just live with it and see how it goes, over the next few thousands shutter actuations.

Had a good look through and uploaded my photos from my New York trip last week. Really enjoyed using the D600, I had the Nikon 28mm 1.8 and 180mm 2.8 with me, which is a great, light(ish) travel combo, the 180 really is a peach, tiny compared to a 70-200.

I forgot my Gorillapod so did anything over a second using any flat surfaces I could find, great fun!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157637300685695/

NYC 2013: Top of the Rock
by Harry_S, on Flickr

Hey your photo is blurred ;)

Just kidding love that shot actually really unusual - that's what separates a 'normal' tourist from a photographer tourist

Ukaskew - some nice photos there. Good to see some people actually taking photos. I am not getting enough time, but planning to go out this weekend.

I found an interesting youtube video comparing the four Nikon FF for noise and ISO test - D600, D700, D800 and D4

Great to see the D600 doing so well in the shootout and demonstrating why it is the value-feature champion of the cameras tested.

Quite tempted by the 28mm, ideally I want to pick up another Sigma 35mm f1.4 but the Nikon is quite a bit cheaper.

I have seen some fantastic shots with the 28mm F1.8G and considering to buy one when funds comply. This is one more reason why I didn't buy the 24-85 VR. I will loose the versatility of a zoom, but the shots from 28mm for landscape are too good.

I know it is like a stupid thing to do, but I am going to test my Nikon 18-70 DX lens on the D600. I know it'd be 10MP only and the lens is no match for the sensor, but if the results are any good, I'd use it till I buy a 2.8 walkaround zoom.

FX is an expensive hobby - ;)

I'm still torn between picking up a D600 or D7100 so I went along to my local John Lewis on Saturday to get to feel them both. I was surprised at the size of both bodies compared to my 'toy like' D3100 but found them both easy to use. I then mentioned the dust/oil problem to the Nikon expert to see what his reaction would be. He intially denied all knowledge of any problem, then he said that they had only had three bodies returned since the cameras' release and that this was with an initial batch back in December. I mentioned the forum reports at which point both he and the JL staff member said 'don't believe all that you read on the net' and that it had 'been blown out of all proportion' !
So I asked about the stock levels as it had appeared to me that Nikon had stopped supplying to stores such as JL, this was denied too, until they were slightly emabarrassed to find they couldn't locate any in the store or locally, although they had plenty of D800s. I was assured that a D600 could be found if I wanted one and that their price is now at a very decent and tempting £1049, so I am still left undecided, should I go for the risk of a good D600 or the safety net of a D7100 ? I'm still at the stage of growing my lens collection, so haven't a large collection of DX lenses that will be less effective on the FX body.

I think you've a more fundamental question to ask yourself. Stay DX or go FX.

The D600, is a fantastic camera, but the dust issue is a real concern (as I've found out).

Given the excellent customer support, John Lewis provide, I think you would be safe "risking" the D600 purchase.

Hi all

I've had my D600 for about 8 months now and have had a bit of dust but nothing I couldn't just get rid of using a rocket blower. However I have some spots now that seem more stubborn. I got my camera from LCE. Does anyone know if they will clean it for me or do I need to send it to Nikon? I've heard rumours if I send it Nikon that they replace the shutter. Is that true or just an urban myth?

Hi all

I've had my D600 for about 8 months now and have had a bit of dust but nothing I couldn't just get rid of using a rocket blower. However I have some spots now that seem more stubborn. I got my camera from LCE. Does anyone know if they will clean it for me or do I need to send it to Nikon? I've heard rumours if I send it Nikon that they replace the shutter. Is that true or just an urban myth?
Best to send to Nikon using their warranty claim service. I did that recently and it took around 10 days or so, they replaced the shutter plate unit (whatever that is) and seemed to use lots of "Double Stick Tape" ...

Hi all

Send to Nikon. They will replace shutter plate. Just don't expect to get the camera back spotless :eek:

Back