Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

I think you've a more fundamental question to ask yourself. Stay DX or go FX.

The D600, is a fantastic camera, but the dust issue is a real concern (as I've found out).

Given the excellent customer support, John Lewis provide, I think you would be safe "risking" the D600 purchase.
I will give the question a lot of thought and will definitely use JL whichever way I go.

Does anyone know how large i can print my image's from the D600 before the quality starts to fade ? I've been asked by a local company how big i can make some prints for them and to be honest i wasn't entirely sure . A1 ? A2 ? Thanks :)

Depends on the sharpness of the image, but massive is the answer.... I've printed at A2 and had outstanding results.

There are A2 prints of shots from my old D50 which people have been very happy with, which stand up remarkably well unless you have your face up against them, so I assume the D600 will hold up very well at much larger sizes.

I have only taken 200 odd shots and have some oil or dust but pretty much expected it. Only shows up badly above f18 and only a couple of spots so not going to send it back just yet.

Had a nightmare shooting day today. Luckily it was just of the wife riding. Didn't realise I was shooting spot metering...

Black horse + white sky = mess!!

Still not convinced on my 28-75 tamron, but will give it another workout tomorrow with correct metering!

I have only taken 200 odd shots and have some oil or dust but pretty much expected it. Only shows up badly above f18 and only a couple of spots so not going to send it back just yet.

Had a nightmare shooting day today. Luckily it was just of the wife riding. Didn't realise I was shooting spot metering...

Black horse + white sky = mess!!

Still not convinced on my 28-75 tamron, but will give it another workout tomorrow with correct metering!

Probably sensible to return, when it suits, to have a new shutter plate fitted. I'm hoping that the new shutter plate, I've had fitted, will minimise the problem.

I'm sending mine back after Christmas as January is a quiet month for me. A few of blobs in the top left corner are fairly significant and aren't shifting through rocket blowing, I would guess oil rather than dust.

The entire bottom two thirds are completely clean, it's 95% concentrated in the top left with a few bits in the top right, very visible at f14.

The trouble is, the D600 is such a joy to use, making the oil issue so frustrating!!

I will give mine a blast with the blower and see what happens as my major spots are on left centre, not top left.

Anyone had their D600 fixed and it's come back working without oil issues?

Am hoping mine does. Had it just short of three months, 2000 shots and about 50 dust spots of varying sizes. Sent back to Jessops and waiting to here the verdict. Otherwise it's a great camera. Bought mine thinking the dust/oil issues had been sorted in later production models.

Its a fantastic camera to use which makes it all the more frustrating, not really willing to be without it for 3-4 weeks now to get it cleaned/repaired, particuarly when there seem to be so many reports of them coming back still dirty and without the repair actually making the issue go away.

Will be a return for me, only question is what do I get, a D610, D800 or a Canon 6D?

I have taken around 200 random shots with it so far and at F/16 I can see around 6-10 spots that were not there when I started. I will give the rocket blower a try and see if those can be taken out. Mine does not appear like oil and IIRC, the oil issue is no longer there in new bodies after Jan this year. Dusts might settle if there is moisture. Since I am not shooting at high apertures, it is not affecting me directly and does not show up. I also noticed that the dust is not on top left corner, rather random with no pattern that people have discussed so far.

The IQ is so good and stunning that I am not even thinking of returning it after getting it at a great price, I would rather clean myself or take Nikon's service as the first step. It cannot have an infinite supply of dust inside and that is what I have found out reading on the internet. Most people who have had more than 5k-10k are not seeing the dust issue anymore.

A friend of mine who bought the D600 did a random 5000 clicks to bring out almost all possible dust it had inside and since the last cleaning by Nikon, he has only seen normal (lens changes outside and usual with any DSLR) dust build up after another 2000 shots.

The shutter life of these camera are too high and it is worth taking that route - 5000 - 7000 extra clicks at random may actually get rid of the excess dust inside. If it throws a lot of dust, get it cleaned by Nikon and see what they do about it. One can try it again and check the situation.

A shot I took of my daughter with the D600.

1403715_10152027029556703_797943576_o.jpg

Your right the IQ of the D600 is stunning, I'm just not willing to part with something for 3-4 weeks to have it fixed (especially over the Festive Period) - will be taking back to John Lewis tomorrow.
But it doesn't take 3 - 4 weeks. I sent mine in on 12th Oct (posted on Saturday) Nikon confirmed arrival on the Tuesday 15th (as did Royal Mail), had the camera back by the 22nd (dispatched by Nikon on the 21st) which was basically a week. No need to send it in over the festive period either, it's not as though it's going to break or anything and unless you are shooting everything above f16 why worry until the New Year?

I'd rather of not had a problem with the camera, but can't fault the way Nikon dealt with it.

Your right the IQ of the D600 is stunning, I'm just not willing to part with something for 3-4 weeks to have it fixed (especially over the Festive Period) - will be taking back to John Lewis tomorrow.

Does JL have a 90 day return policy? I know you returned or sold another D600 body earlier, but if I were you, I'd do the following

1. Use the blower and if it doesn't go - go to 2
2. Fire rapid burst in DX mode in jpeg and clock 5k - 6k actuation and see the situation. If it is dirty like hell, send it to Nikon and get it cleaned / serviced
3. Once it is back, test another 1-2k shots and see if it is coming back without changing lenses

If it does come back, you can still return it to JL provided you have time. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that dusts go away after few thousand clicks.
But, that's just me.

On the other hand, you can return it now and get a 6D / D610 and not worry about it. All are fantastic cameras.

Loving my D600 so far and even though I have not used the camera much yet, I am happy with most of the test shots so far. I have been testing my 50mm F1.8G and 85 F1.8G with some random shots at static targets and on few occasions I was able to capture my daughter playing around the house. Here's a set of my daughter. These shots were not planned and composed as such as I was just randomly testing the camera and lenses.Out of four three are at 1.8 and one at F4.0. All these shots are taken with natural light with light coming from a window.

I am extremely happy with the D600. If you have one, you must be happy as well. I'd like to see more posts and images from the owners here. Let's discuss and help each other with what you like, dislike, tips, suggestions, workarounds on limitations etc.

D600 Test 5
by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

D600 Test 6

D600 Test 7

D600 Test 8

I'm very happy with mine and a little confused about the slating it gets for low light focus in the 6D and D800 threads. I am finding it simply brilliant in low light!

Anyways... couple of shots

10999505184_998d393975_z.jpg

10241167734_b48bda9435_z.jpg

10241382023_4e94787b28_z.jpg

Nothing special... but I stepped in for an emergency shot for the local rag (although they failed to mention me!)

10873253314_c1c8f7cc97_z.jpg

JJ great horse shots - what lens pls - what dya do the columbo for , was it for af fine tune.

To be honest I've hardly "bonded" with this camera because of these bloody dust issues. D90 was great, D600 I've just never felt 100% happy. So I'm hoping this puts my faith back in it. Treated myself to the Nikon 24-70 as I was made permanent at my job. If that combo doesn't please me I give up :)

To be honest I've hardly "bonded" with this camera because of these bloody dust issues. D90 was great, D600 I've just never felt 100% happy. So I'm hoping this puts my faith back in it. Treated myself to the Nikon 24-70 as I was made permanent at my job. If that combo doesn't please me I give up :)

I'm much the same. Came from a D90 to a D600 and the whole dust issue has really annoyed me. Which is a real shame, as apart from that, it is a wonderful camera and I can certainly see the major improvements over my trusty D90.

Last edited:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1390944607.491792.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1390944607.491792.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
About 3000 and it's been away once already. Now I look at the uploaded one it doesn't look as bad as the image I have on my PC.

I might have missed it previously, but did Nikon replace the shutter or was it just a sensor clean only?

I might have missed it previously, but did Nikon replace the shutter or was it just a sensor clean only?
The report Mentioned repair, replace shutter unit, check and adjust. Clean mirror box, mirror mechanism and sensor, performing precautionary measures to reduction entry/dispersion of dust particles.

Quite frankly, that seems unacceptable to me. If that's (the image) the result AFTER all that you've mentioned above has been carried out, I'd be fuming!

I'm presuming that the D610 has a new shutter design that can't be implemented within the D600...?

Quite frankly, that seems unacceptable to me. If that's (the image) the result AFTER all that you've mentioned above has been carried out, I'd be fuming!

I'm presuming that the D610 has a new shutter design that can't be implemented within the D600...?

It was better after it had been returned but sadly didn't stay that way for long. I can't say if the 610 shutter can be fitted to a 600 but would assume if they could they would have done so.

Back