Nikon D750 & D780

24-70 will be perfect mate. It's a fab general purpose lens.

Now you just need to decide on which one to go for!

Well its either the Nikon or the Tamron. I can hire the Nikon, but would be very much outside my budget buying wise for now.

I could probably afford the Tamron come bonus time at work, and think the VC would be handy. But... if I hire the Nikon and love it... will I always want it over the Tamron lol!

Plus getting a decent not front/back focussing Tamron might be the biggest ggrrrrrrr! lol

Whats the going price for a mint 24-70 from Nikon. I know a wedding photographer is might be selling a near new mint example... but no idea what the going rate is!

Last edited:
Well its either the Nikon or the Tamron. I can hire the Nikon, but would be very much outside my budget buying wise for now.

I could probably afford the Tamron come bonus time at work, and think the VC would be handy. But... if I hire the Nikon and love it... will I always want it over the Tamron lol!

Plus getting a decent not front/back focussing Tamron might be the biggest ggrrrrrrr! lol

Whats the going price for a mint 24-70 from Nikon. I know a wedding photographer is might be selling a near new mint example... but no idea what the going rate is!

One has just sold in the classifieds here for £690.

One has just sold in the classifieds here for £690.

WHY WHY WHY did I just watch all the videos on youtube on the Nikon 24-70! lol

Just seen the one in classifieds... he wants £750 and he has said it is absolutely mint and would pass as new.... oh man.... the wife would kill me lol!

I have never held or used the Nikon one before - always thought it was much bigger than the Tamron, but it seems only like 15mm longer and is actually slimmer. Weight seems only a bit more considering what its made of!

£750? Which one is that then?

Where are you? You're welcome to come and try mine if your local to Notts. (or if you fancy traveling!)

Think I'm about 210 miles away lol

Nikon 24-70 for £750 as new (would need to check that condition but he is an honest chap!) He has just picked up the VR version so this one not needed.

Sadly he is away at a wedding fair this weekend so cant go check it out for myself before purchase.

Looks like a great lens but weighs just over 1kg for the VR and just under 1kg for the non VR

Last edited:
Non VR is 900g compared to 820g for the Tamron. 80g does not seem much extra considering the build of the Nikon.

I seem to have been using the 610 around the house with the 50G on it, so about time I used the 750 really. 5 months now and starting to develop a little personality, only really been able to sit up like this these last couple of weeks..

26262736751_5966ff8bf0_o.jpg
[/url]

And had enough...

26262737151_1c497696f6_o.jpg

The Nikon could easily club someone to death and show no signs of it... ;)

Lovely pics peeps, Kris, she's a little darlin' mate! Steve, how are you surviving without the 18-35?

Thanks dude, she's great. Been suffering with baby acne and trying various milks, to which she had a reaction to one yesterday. I've toned down her poorly cheeks a bit without going porcelain. She's the best photography project ever, thought it wasn't going to happen for me, but so glad it did.

After a bit of deliberation between taking the G7x or D750 to a wedding yesterday I'm sooooo glad I took the D750. It was extremely dark and even ISO's of 3200 using bounced flash were showing signs of quite a bit of noise, wouldn't have got any useable images with the G7x. Without flash every shot wouldn't been maxed out (for my D750's settings) at 12800 ISO and too slow a shutter introducing significant blur.

The 24-120mm behaved pretty well, only a handful of missed/soft focus shots and considering the light I thought that was pretty good.

Lovely pics peeps, Kris, she's a little darlin' mate! Steve, how are you surviving without the 18-35?
Great, I think! The larger sensor makes up for the WA and f/1.8. :)

I'm still getting used to how "wide" 24mm is!

Haha, lens and a weapon! Two for the price of one!!!

Still amazes me what you can get out of these cameras these days. Only iso1600, but at f/1.4 - just a shot this morning of the girls. Not too much done to this either. I remember thinking, there's not allot of light in here plus shooting into it too.

26328961035_7cb68f49b8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Right can someone explain how i would set up my 750 for star trails ? I've had a look but it was a bit confusing - tried it and managed to take photos but like 60secs apart. God knows how tbh

Have you got noise reduction enabled? If so, it takes another shot same length of time after the exposure then deletes the noise, in theory. Guessing that's why you have spaces between the trails?

Should be simple enough without that on, other than the Nikon 100 shot max counter which you can reset throughout.

Last edited:
Have you got noise reduction enabled? If so, it takes another shot same length of time after the exposure then deletes the noise, in theory. Guessing that's why you have spaces between the trails?

Should be simple enough without that on, other than the Nikon 100 shot max counter which you can reset throughout.

AHHHHH

I think so yeah. Damnit. Thank you :D

Right can someone explain how i would set up my 750 for star trails ? I've had a look but it was a bit confusing - tried it and managed to take photos but like 60secs apart. God knows how tbh

I always found the Nikon intervalometer a bit confusing and try not to use it.

For star trails I just set it for jpg only, 30s exposure, max aperture, focus on foreground element, and adjust ISO for correct exposure (test shots). I can then lock on my wired shutter release so it's doing back-to-back exposures, and have a cup of tea.

If you don't have a wired shutter release then you can use an elastic band and a rubber to hold down the shutter button.

Stack in starstax software.

I got a new external intervalometer last time I tried it, but instead of bulb mode I was accidentally in 30s shutter speed so the camera and intervalometer were conflicting and I had loads of gaps.
I've also had issues with mirror lock-up being on too so it was flipping the mirror and 30s later taking the shot.

Last edited:
Thanks dude, she's great. Been suffering with baby acne and trying various milks, to which she had a reaction to one yesterday. I've toned down her poorly cheeks a bit without going porcelain. She's the best photography project ever, thought it wasn't going to happen for me, but so glad it did.

She is lovely and as you say , they do make a great subject. We did a 365 with our first who is coming 3 now and we are at day 328 with our second one, it is great to look back over their first year and see how they progressed.

She is lovely and as you say , they do make a great subject. We did a 365 with our first who is coming 3 now and we are at day 328 with our second one, it is great to look back over their first year and see how they progressed.

Thanks Phil. I had thought about doing a 365 with her to document the first year but I have nights away with work so not really possible. Still, I snap plenty of her but tend to just share those with the family, such as stuff like this.

Thanks Phil. I had thought about doing a 365 with her to document the first year but I have nights away with work so not really possible. Still, I snap plenty of her but tend to just share those with the family, such as stuff like this.

We have the same problem, i'm regularly away in the mornings before they are up and home after they are in bed. My wife ends up taking a lot of them on her phone and a wee compact i bought her.

Anyone hired lenses before?

I'm doing a friend's wedding in a few months unpaid. Although it's free I still want to do a great job and use the pics myself going forward.

I can't afford any decent glass right now and only have the 50mm and a friend's 24-85mm available.

Of course having researched on here and online it's recommended that you either have a bunch of primes where 2 bodies are near enough essential or have a 24-70 f2.8.

So I'm thinking that getting a 24-70 f2.8 might be the answer (unless of course my horse wins today which could happen looking at the weather!).

I did a wedding before using the 28-75 Tamron and was pretty happy with the results but thinking the Nikon 24-70 or 24-70 VC might be a better option. It also took me ages to get a decent copy of the 28-75!

Whereabouts are you?
I have a few lenses I could loan to you if close?
If you need to of course.

Whereabouts are you?
I have a few lenses I could loan to you if close?
If you need to of course.

Thank you that's very kind. I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the Tamron. Although some of these 85mm shots are getting giving me prime love!!

Back