Nikon D750 & D780

I thought I was going to witness the one in our garden fledging yesterday, he kept half coming out of the box and then going back in again. Not seen much action around the box today so guessing I've missed it :(

Yea, they are out and gone very quick, lovely to see though.

I could ask this in the computers/ technology section but they will baffle me with science. What software does anyone use for backing up files weekly or whatever. I am looking something that i can run every week and will just back up new files to a couple of hard drives. I do it manually now and again but i end up copying everything on my hard drive and so end up with numerous copies of everything.

I could ask this in the computers/ technology section but they will baffle me with science. What software does anyone use for backing up files weekly or whatever. I am looking something that i can run every week and will just back up new files to a couple of hard drives. I do it manually now and again but i end up copying everything on my hard drive and so end up with numerous copies of everything.
If you have Mac they have an in built backup piece of software called Time Machine. Can't help with PC.

I still manually backup my RAW files onto a couple of external drives as they take so much space up and have to regularly delete them from my main drive (even though it's 1TB) and so aren't backed up on Time Machine anymore.

I have 2 time machine backups for my MacBook and 1 time machine backup on my iMac, so 5 copies in total just to be safe :p

For a PC, you could use Robocopy, you can create a batch command file & use Task Scheduler to schedule it to run on a regular basis.

Open a command prompt and type robocopy /? to get the syntax

The full syntax is explained here

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Last edited:
I found the best way to clean the viewfinder is to break the rear screen. When you send it to H. Lehmann for repair who in turn send it to Nikon as they're f*****g useless and can't fix it themselves, then the viewfinder is cleaned as part of the service they do.

All for the princely sum of £350.

Bargain!
Haha, I'll maybe not go to those extremes:) and just put up with it.

When I used to save stuff on my PC is used Cobian which worked well. I now backup my server instead which is a whole different kettle of mackerel.

I will tell you the simplest way you can achieve this in the same way I do. Just download Microsoft Synctoy on your PC and create Folder pairs for backup and with just one click you can run backup anytime you wish.
It works in the background and you can use a method of backup for each folder pair. You can also run a backup on different drives ( one source multiple to destinations) just by adding a folder pair. Works like a charm.

Here's my setup -All sources in an external drive (primary source) is backed up as 'Echo' in another external drive. If I want, I can simply add another drive and copy the folder pair and run it overnight to have the same backup on another drive.

upload_2016-6-5_23-52-27.png

upload_2016-6-5_23-54-45.png

I will tell you the simplest way you can achieve this in the same way I do. Just download Microsoft Synctoy on your PC and create Folder pairs for backup and with just one click you can run backup anytime you wish.
It works in the background and you can use a method of backup for each folder pair. You can also run a backup on different drives ( one source multiple to destinations) just by adding a folder pair. Works like a charm.

Here's my setup -All sources in an external drive (primary source) is backed up as 'Echo' in another external drive. If I want, I can simply add another drive and copy the folder pair and run it overnight to have the same backup on another drive.

View attachment 66212

View attachment 66213

Thanks Anirban, that looks like the easiest solution, will look into it tonight.

Last edited:

View attachment 66212

View attachment 66213

I would seriously recommend using Contribute rather than echo. Anything that 'automatically' deletes files from the back up is potentially dangerous, as it effectively no longer becomes a backup! - One accidental click could cause a world of pain.

SyncToy is good though and easy to use.

I have 2 or 3 in mine and it is only 3 months old. Bugs the S**t out of me!
Just hope you never get a tiny insect or spider crawling about in the viewfinder. There's no peace until it croaks! :LOL:

I would seriously recommend using Contribute rather than echo. Anything that 'automatically' deletes files from the back up is potentially dangerous, as it effectively no longer becomes a backup! - One accidental click could cause a world of pain.

SyncToy is good though and easy to use.

I fully agree with you and it is something I will consider after reviewing my process of culling and backing up files. I usually cull and clean up files (old and new) in my main source drive and then run the backup every week once, hence I use echo so that it deletes the unnecessary files from the backup drive as well. But, I understand that using echo a single mistake in deleting a folder in the source can wipe out the folder in the backup drive.

Synctoy is a breeze to use.

I fully agree with you and it is something I will consider after reviewing my process of culling and backing up files. I usually cull and clean up files (old and new) in my main source drive and then run the backup every week once, hence I use echo so that it deletes the unnecessary files from the backup drive as well. But, I understand that using echo a single mistake in deleting a folder in the source can wipe out the folder in the backup drive.

I do the same as you.

I use smart collections to organise most of my photos, set to keyword and "flag = unflagged" and flag as rejected the ones I want to cull. Then every once in a while (when I remember) I tell lightroom to delete rejected images, to keep drive space sensible (ish).

And I want my backup to reflect those deletions so I don't fill up that drive with rejected stuff as well.

Good!!!!

Additional storage is so cheap these days, it really isn't worth taking any risks.

The really import thing with lightroom is to make sure that your catalogue backups are to a different drive than your main one.

Last edited:
Here's one image of my daughter while we were on the terrace of our building. 70-200 2.8. Loving this lens :)

Ashmita
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

They've tried to delivery my 85mm today but no-one was in and it's been taken to a local collection point :facepalm: (they would only deliver to card address and wouldn't deliver to my work). Hopefully I'll get time to go this week.

They've tried to delivery my 85mm today but no-one was in and it's been taken to a local collection point :facepalm: (they would only deliver to card address and wouldn't deliver to my work). Hopefully I'll get time to go this week.

What one did you go for?

If you have Mac they have an in built backup piece of software called Time Machine. Can't help with PC.

I still manually backup my RAW files onto a couple of external drives as they take so much space up and have to regularly delete them from my main drive (even though it's 1TB) and so aren't backed up on Time Machine anymore.

I have 2 time machine backups for my MacBook and 1 time machine backup on my iMac, so 5 copies in total just to be safe :p
Have a look at carbon copy cloner (CCC). I use it along with time machine. CCC is great as it automates the backup process. I've set it to start the computer at 2am once a week to complete the backups then switch the computer off. It even emails me to say if the backup was successful or not. You have many options with the type of backup, I use the type where it checks what I've added or deleted and ensures it's he same is done on the backup drive. You can also set up off site backup drive where they automatically backup when you bring them back and connect them to the computer. It's as automated as I can get it.

Well I managed to pick up my Sigma 85mm f1.4 tonight as the drop off point doesn't close til 10pm. First the good news, condition is so much better than I thought. It almost looks new, and it comes with all the caps, hoods and case. Now the bad news, it front focusses like a bugger, and AF doesn't work in liveview. With regards to the front focussing, AF fine tune makes little to no difference, something I've had with Sigmas and my D750 in the past. However, if I change the AF fine tune default setting (rather than saved value) +3 sorts it out. Default AF fine tune seems to make far more difference than "saved AF fine tune" as normally with this amount of front focussing would've expected +16 to +18.

So the questions are, why do we have two different types of AF fine tune, and will me changing the default effect all my other lenses. The fact it says default would suggest it'd affect all lenses, BUT reading the manual it says that it uses the default if no saved value for that lens is set, suggesting that it uses the "saved AF tune" setting first, if it doesn't have one then it'll use the default. As all my other lenses have some AF fine tune stored then I would assume that the default setting won't therefore affect these. Can anyone shed some light on it?

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-06%20at%2020.12.02_zpsr0dkw35w.png

Next questions are, is it normal for it not to work with liveview? Would others accept this lens with the AF tune behaviour. My camera does cause front focus on most of my lenses, with the 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm being the worst at +18 and +16 respectively, but then I do have a couple that are +1 and +2.

Normally I wouldn't accept a lens like this, but if I can 'fudge it' to work (ie use default fine tune rather than saved fine tune) then it's an absolute steal, £380 for an almost mint Sigma 85mm f1.4 with 6M warranty.

" Selfie"---That looks about the distance limit of my rf remote
I was thinking I'll have to follow him one day and run off with his camera whilst he's posing for a selfie ;) :p

I use single point continuous AF just because I am a control freak ;) This was at a rugby match recently using an 85mm lens (!)

Week 17: Rough 1
by Paul M, on Flickr
I use single point AF-C for anything moving for the same reason ;)

Well I managed to pick up my Sigma 85mm f1.4 tonight as the drop off point doesn't close til 10pm. First the good news, condition is so much better than I thought. It almost looks new, and it comes with all the caps, hoods and case. Now the bad news, it front focusses like a bugger, and AF doesn't work in liveview. With regards to the front focussing, AF fine tune makes little to no difference, something I've had with Sigmas and my D750 in the past. However, if I change the AF fine tune default setting (rather than saved value) +3 sorts it out. Default AF fine tune seems to make far more difference than "saved AF fine tune" as normally with this amount of front focussing would've expected +16 to +18.

So the questions are, why do we have two different types of AF fine tune, and will me changing the default effect all my other lenses. The fact it says default would suggest it'd affect all lenses, BUT reading the manual it says that it uses the default if no saved value for that lens is set, suggesting that it uses the "saved AF tune" setting first, if it doesn't have one then it'll use the default. As all my other lenses have some AF fine tune stored then I would assume that the default setting won't therefore affect these. Can anyone shed some light on it?

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-06%20at%2020.12.02_zpsr0dkw35w.png

Next questions are, is it normal for it not to work with liveview? Would others accept this lens with the AF tune behaviour. My camera does cause front focus on most of my lenses, with the 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm being the worst at +18 and +16 respectively, but then I do have a couple that are +1 and +2.

Normally I wouldn't accept a lens like this, but if I can 'fudge it' to work (ie use default fine tune rather than saved fine tune) then it's an absolute steal, £380 for an almost mint Sigma 85mm f1.4 with 6M warranty.

Yes it is normal for it not to work in live view.

Back