Nikon D800......

Home improvements required.

That sucks. I saw your listing. Was tempted by teh Zeiss lens, but having just bought a D800E... thought that would be pushing it a bit :)

D800E and sharpening:

You may have heard me talking about the lack of need for sharpening with the D800 and the fact that if you apply too much it looks false and processed. Well... ironically, the D800E... you'd think you'd need less sharpening still.. and technically, you do... but it responds very well to simple sharpening (no detail or radius... just sharpening) in a way the D800 doesn't... probably due to the fact that there is no anti-aliasing around fine details. In fact... adding simple sharpening, then up-resing the image using Bilinear then applying a subtle high-pass makes it awesome. I've got some images here, but they're of my kitchen the day after I had a party... and my kitchen is such a mess I'm embarrassed to post them now... LOL.

I'll take some more and post in here when done.

I just use whatever the default is set to in LR5 for sharpening. I rarely move it. Sometimes I make very minor adjustments.

I've been going through one of those non-creative, no-motivation phases :/ Unfortunately the only photos I've taken last few months have been family snaps, bar 2 very small jobs. trying to get back into the photography, slowly but surely :) I am starting to miss it, so that's a good sign for me at least. People are starting to ask for my services so time to dust everything off!

Didn't think anyone would notice tbh :D cheers.

Last edited:
Didn't think anyone would notice tbh :D cheers.
Only missed you because i got fed up of scrapping with Pookeyhead, no competition. LOL

Seriously though, i quit shooting the sports last September then had 3 month off work with Kidney problems but got back on the horse a couple of weeks ago, im just working freelance now and its much better than having to rely on toss pots who pretend to run agencies

Get your mojo back mate

There was some illness involved here too aye, never really been right since I busted my back a few years ago. Might explain why I can be a grumpy git though ;) It can be hard get up and at 'em when you're feeling a bit crippled and twice yer age.

But, Spring is here, time to man up, shake it off, and get back out there. Hopefully

No, but I have been following a rolling review. From what I have seen I'd skip it and get a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 as the new Nikon looks a bit mediocre.

You're joking right ???? - it's had some rave reviews. Nikon know their onions, the images I have seen are fantastic !!!

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

You're joking right ???? - it's had some rave reviews. Nikon know their onions, the images I have seen are fantastic !!!

The Sigma looks better at every aperture to my eye. If it was a 35mm for a D800/E I'd recommend the Sigma for IQ, build quality and best bang for your buck.

The Sigma looks better at every aperture to my eye. If it was a 35mm for a D800/E I'd recommend the Sigma for IQ, build quality and best bang for your buck.
Yup, agree totally, the Nikon is actually a bit disappointing, the Sigma is outstanding in every respect

The Samyang 35mm 1.4 is pretty much as good as the Sigma too... so if you don't need AF there's some cash to be saved there.

Don't assume that having Nikkor on it means its better. It's often the case, yes... but this is not one such case. The Nikkor 35mm 1.8G FX is decidedly average and the Sigma is demonstrably better.

You need to try lenses out, and not assume brand loyalty will pay off. Some Sigma lenses are awful, like the 20mm f1.8... which quite frankly, just needs putting out of it's misery. Same with Nikkors... I remember the old Nikkor 35mm f2 D lens.... what a piece of ****!!

Thanks folks, thats what I feared.
I've got the Sigma 35mm f1.4 and it is a stunning lens, I'm just finding it a bit heavy sometimes and instead of taking it with me I'm sticking on the Nikon 50 f1.8G.
I might take a look at the Nikon 28mm f1.8G instead, it gets decent write ups.

The Nikkor 28 1.8G is a superb lens! Vignettes a bit wide open, but it's fully correctable in RAW so long as you don't under-expose as well. It's pretty damned sharp wide open too. I don't own one, but I use one regularly. It's a fabulous lens.

I agree about the 28mm 1.8. it is probably the sharpest lens that I own. I have read about focus shift etc but don't seem to have had this problem with mine. I think it is a brilliant lens the only real downsides (which ultimately are not really major issues) being

1.To me, it feels cheap even though it is not a cheap lens (it is very light and feels a bit plasticky)
2. I don't like the feel of manual focus (though you may not want to use manual focus anyway)

My first shot with the 24-120 F4 I acquired recently, looks very promising to me

Hard to tell at the res you posted it. At this res, any lens will look fine.

Simons an award winning critically acclaimed and published photographer, im pretty sure he knows whats a good lens and whats not and am sure as a working pro he's not about to put up 6000 pixel wide images when he's got a business to run selling prints. :thinking:

Hard to tell at the res you posted it. At this res, any lens will look fine.

Knowing this forum I probably should have worded the post better :rolleyes: - It was really meant as a personal observation based on my experience of using the lens, not as a post to encourage an analytical study

Simon

Knowing this forum I probably should have worded the post better :rolleyes: - It was really meant as a personal observation based on my experience of using the lens, not as a post to encourage an analytical study

Simon
LOL, ya can't have a sh1te on here without someone wanting to sift through it and tell you it's not brown enough or it's too runny.

Simon

Had a look at your site Simon, some cracking pictures. Do you ever use the Nikon 24mm f/3.5 PC-E for landscape shots?

Had a look at your site Simon, some cracking pictures. Do you ever use the Nikon 24mm f/3.5 PC-E for landscape shots?

Thanks.. I'm quite new to Nikon, only owned the D800 for a few months so played safe and went with lenses I knew about to start with, mainly the 16-35F4 together with a couple of primes. I'm certainly interested in the tilt/shift lenses though and may well take one out on loan to give it a try

LOL, ya can't have a sh1te on here without someone wanting to sift through it and tell you it's not brown enough or it's too runny.

And there's always someone trying to start a fight. You not getting any lately or something? You seem a bit edgy :)

Simons an award winning critically acclaimed and published photographer, im pretty sure he knows whats a good lens and whats not and am sure as a working pro he's not about to put up 6000 pixel wide images when he's got a business to run selling prints. :thinking:

Does he need you stick up for him?

Then why post a pic at all? He could have just said so. The pic is redundant in this context.. at that res.. It's lovely... but redundant. Ever thought I was interested in seeing what the lens can do?

The only trouble here is the trouble you're stirring up. I simply said "Hard to tell at the res posted". If you feel that's reason enough to kick off... yeah.. definitely not getting any :)

Last edited:
Yawn, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ever thought I was interested in seeing what the lens can do?
Then buy a bleeding print, not everyone wants tp post zillion mega pixel images for you go scrutinise like a fly looking for the tastiest turd and even when they do youre never happy
And there's always someone trying to start a fight. You not getting any lately or something? You seem a bit edgy :)
Dont be a sanctimonious prick David, nobody, least of all me was looking for a fight, and less of the smarmy comments, this was civil until you took it the wrong way
The only trouble here is the trouble you're stirring up. I simply said "Hard to tell at the res posted". If you feel that's reason enough to kick off... yeah.. definitely not getting any :)
There you go again, where on earth was i stirring anything up, where was i kicking off, you just look for trouble David where it doesnt exist

If i can finish by reaffirming, I WASNT LOOKING FOR A FIGHT OR ANY TROUBLE, HONESTLY.

Last edited:
:whistle: ... when i'm bored of drifting between threads on the forum it's always nice to drop onto a "David and Gary" scrap!!! Lol :exit:

Last edited:
Wow, seriously guys, just get each other on ignore...................:naughty:

:whistle: ... when i'm bored of drifting between threads on the forum it's always nice to drop onto a "David and Gary" scrap!!! Lol :exit:
LOL, My twin brother is called David and we fought like cats and dogs as kids, but seriously i wasn't baiting David in any way shape or form, or at least that wasn't my intention, not this time.

Last edited:
Simon, that's a beautiful picture. Please keep posting them here. I've been to your website too, some really wonderful pics over there. I wonder how you do it :)

That said, maybe we should not take such statements as Simon's when he posted his image too literal. When I read the text preceding the image, I had the impression that Simon had taken a nice picture, wanted to share it, and found some friendly pretext to introduce it. But even if Simon would have wanted to say something about the lens, the image serves the purpose. All Simon said that the lens looks promising - and it's a nice image he posted, taken with that lens, so the image serves the purpose :)

Simon, that's a beautiful picture. Please keep posting them here. I've been to your website too, some really wonderful pics over there. I wonder how you do it :)

That said, maybe we should not take such statements as Simon's when he posted his image too literal. When I read the text preceding the image, I had the impression that Simon had taken a nice picture, wanted to share it, and found some friendly pretext to introduce it. But even if Simon would have wanted to say something about the lens, the image serves the purpose. All Simon said that the lens looks promising - and it's a nice image he posted, taken with that lens, so the image serves the purpose :)

Pleased you like the picture and thanks for the compliment, very generous. I'm looking forward to using the 24-120 more to see if it lives up to the positive initial impressions I get.

A nice picture, especially with those trails of footprints. It looks a little over-processed to me though, especially in the sky?
I used the in camera HDR option using the 2 stop setting, the cliff face on the left was very dark as it's in shadow and it brought that up well, im not a landscape photographer and nor am i any good at PP so hoping to learn a bit more about using grads/filters etc, etc.

This is the exact same scene, photo taken about 1/10th second afterwards without any in camera shenanigans

Nice location I have fancied trying the 16-35mm myself but have been reluctant after not getting on at all with the 14-24mm.

I think I would like the image better minus the people. Like this after a quick dirty edit, I hope you don't mind.

Nice location I have fancied trying the 16-35mm myself but have been reluctant after not getting on at all with the 14-24mm.

I think I would like the image better minus the people. Like this after a quick dirty edit, I hope you don't mind.

Now its just the same as every other picture of that cove!

Back