Nikon D800......

Now its just the same as every other picture of that cove!

I think me and Gary nearly shared the same footsteps: http://biSPAM/1mYeD4Z

It's a popular shot but justifiably so. Never tried the HDR function but it's done a reasonable job, just seems to have lifted the shadows a bit too much and killed contrast slightly though

Simon

I think me and Gary nearly shared the same footsteps: http://biSPAM/1mYeD4Z

It's a popular shot but justifiably so. Never tried the HDR function but it's done a reasonable job, just seems to have lifted the shadows a bit too much and killed contrast slightly though

Simon

beautiful, love the canoeists.

Guys, just wondering if anyone here has something smaller that they use alongside their D800 when they don't want to cart it around?
I love the IQ, handling, etc of the D800 and most of the time with a lightish lens (50mm) its fine but there is the odd time I wish for something smaller, I've been contemplating an X-Pro 1 based on the current excellent offers but wondered if any of you other D800 users also have a smaller system?

Guys, just wondering if anyone here has something smaller that they use alongside their D800 when they don't want to cart it around?
I love the IQ, handling, etc of the D800 and most of the time with a lightish lens (50mm) its fine but there is the odd time I wish for something smaller, I've been contemplating an X-Pro 1 based on the current excellent offers but wondered if any of you other D800 users also have a smaller system?

rx100 is our true pocket camera, XP1 is awesome but still bulky, especially with other lenses. I sold my X100 to get one and regret it, one 'system' is enough for me - the temptation to buy more Fuji lenses was too great.

you only need to remember 2 things when you have a hobby.
1/ lie
2/ hide stuff

to the mrs a camera is a camera, you should be fine :naughty:

So rumours of a d800s. Whats the views? I know the d4s update was hit with lots of negates views.

Better iso,fps, d4s AF update and small raw. Worth it or nikon just trying to push all the sales they can without bring anything new. Seems to be the view that the s raw at least could be done via a firmware update.

The D800 has a 'landscape tag' to it, not a bad thing in my book but the faster shutter speeds I think will attract more 'sports' photographers.

Been there, done it, the AF is terrible for field sports.

Agreed and posted something similar on another thread a couple of days ago. My keeper rate on the D3s/D4 is significantly higher than with the D800 - and my ability is a constant in that assessment.

Awesome for controlled work - whether that is landscapes, commercial, architectural, portraits, or stock photography - but not ideal for field or indeed court sports for many reasons.

Been there, done it, the AF is terrible for field sports.
I had a better keeper rate on my D700 and certainly do on my recently acquired D3S for birds in flight. Saying that, for wildlife stuff that is not fast moving the D800 is very good.

And it's even worse than bad in poor light when trying to track a moving subject

Oh, I'm not so sure about that Gary! ;)

I'm not the only one either... Quite a few of the guys I know who also photograph the jets are using D800's... It's part of the reason why I made the switch. The AF on the 5DMKIII is better but the D800 can certainly handle a front-line fighter travelling laterally at 400mph. :)

Indeed. My new baby is bloody good though.......:)

Oh, I'm not so sure about that Gary! ;)

I'm not the only one either... Quite a few of the guys I know who also photograph the jets are using D800's... It's part of the reason why I made the switch. The AF on the 5DMKIII is better but the D800 can certainly handle a front-line fighter travelling laterally at 400mph. :)
Seriously, my original Canon 10D could track a plane with a 30mt wingspan, hardly something moving erratically to and fro across the frame and not field sports now is it and certainly not in poor light

Seriously, my original Canon 10D could track a plane with a 30mt wingspan, hardly something moving erratically to and fro across the frame and not field sports now is it and certainly not in poor light

Seriously Gary... The Typhoon has an 11m wingspan! ;)

They do move erratically and they're travelling faster than anything with feathers on and it's also a bit further away than your average birdy. Not only that but you don't always see them until the last second.

By the way; for me, that was poor light! :p

They do move erratically and they're travelling faster than anything with feathers on and it's also a bit further away than your average birdy. Not only that but you don't always see them until the last second.

Yep, planes are the hardest thing anyone could photograph.

Yep, planes are the hardest thing anyone could photograph.

Ooo, sarcasm! :D

No, they're not the hardest but they're not the easiest either... My point was that the AF is more than capable of doing what it's supposed to. If it's not suitable for what you photograph, the choice is a simple one... Change! ;)

How on hell on earth does a jet move erratically, christs sake, its not a UFO you know, even helicopters don't move erratically, seriously ive tracked planes with manual focus, anyway, the initial discussion regarding the D800's poor AF was in relation to field sports

No it isn`t capable of doing what it is supposed to do, it does not track birds in flight as well as a D700. In that sense, it lets itself down.

It has huge areas of improvement over the D700, cropability and dynamic range for example.

The af needed for large planes and birds in flight is hugely different. Man has not created a machine than can fly like a bird, so your example does not really hold water.

I do use a a D800 for wildlife, but not for inflight shots, it does not cut it.The older D700 and D3S hand it a spanking in that regard.In my opinion and experience I hasten to add.

So thats how you choose to lose an argument, bravo.

I wasn't aware we were having an argument and if you class a difference of opinion as a losing position, more fool you!

Aircraft (including helicopters) DO move erratically... That's how they avoid being shot down! :D

I also wasn't aware that 'field sports' also included photographing birds in flight! ;)

OK, debate then, im trying to think the last time i saw any jet turn on a sixpence or change direction as fast as a footballer/rugby player so in those terms and time NO AIRCRAFT moves erratically

Nor did i bring birds in flight into the equation, come to think of it, nor did i bring aircraft into a debate about SPORTS

the birds in flight was my fault, I do apologize,prefusely.

So rumours of a d800s. Whats the views? I know the d4s update was hit with lots of negates views.

Better iso,fps, d4s AF update and small raw. Worth it or nikon just trying to push all the sales they can without bring anything new. Seems to be the view that the s raw at least could be done via a firmware update.

Yes! IMHO Nikon really missed a trick with the D800. They're not using the sensor's full potential and are missing the opportunity to make it two cameras in one (or even three) and the undisputed best all-rounder.

Giving it more Raw options, like Canon's S-Raw as you say, really opens the door - in addition to 36mp full-frame, also 20mp-ish full-frame, and 16mp APS-C. That frees the processor to handle a much faster frame rate, say 8-9fps or so; beef up the shutter, tho it can already do 6fps in DX mode with battery grip; make AF state of the art.

Nikon could do those things relatively easily, though they may be wary of hurting D4 sales (like the D700 hit the D3). But a camera like that could be a game-changer. I would seriously think about swapping to Nikon.

Last edited:
The D800 thread never fails to provide entertainment folks. Keep up the great work guys lol.

wish someone had told me about the autofocus issues for sports, I've shot football with mine (and used D200 -> D300s -> D3 before it) and had no such issues - maybe I'm using it wrong ;)

wish someone had told me about the autofocus issues for sports, I've shot football with mine (and used D200 -> D300s -> D3 before it) and had no such issues - maybe I'm using it wrong ;)
People have different expectations of their equipment, mine are very high and rightly so if im spending £20,000 on my gear, im more than glad you're happy with how your AF performs

TBH Im with Gary, I noticed even in every day use the D700 AF was faster, the D800 had a slight pause before it locked.

I very nearly purchased a D800, the image quality is outstanding but I think Nikon need to produce a model somewhere between the D800 and D4s to capture my interest. I was chatting with a well established and respected wedding photographer the other day who also thought that there was a real gap in the professional camera range. It will be Interesting to see the next full frame model that they produce.

I very nearly purchased a D800, the image quality is outstanding but I think Nikon need to produce a model somewhere between the D800 and D4s to capture my interest. I was chatting with a well established and respected wedding photographer the other day who also thought that there was a real gap in the professional camera range. It will be Interesting to see the next full frame model that they produce.

If rumours are to be believed they are working on a D800S which will be exactly that.

People have different expectations of their equipment, mine are very high and rightly so if im spending £20,000 on my gear, im more than glad you're happy with how your AF performs

quite possibly, for me and my shooting style it's been fine, certainly although the level of football I've shot is only League One level (get the occasional Prem team in cup draws) and shooting sports are for fun these days (gave up being a pitch side bod a few years ago) so I'm not under the pressure of the sports pros - but please don't assume that my expectations are not so high, music photography in low light conditions in small venues through to large festival stages with lighting supplied by the realms of chaos has pushed me into different style of shooting (and thus different expectations) - as for investment, yeah a studio, many bodies, glass and other gear certainly adds up :)

rx100 is our true pocket camera, XP1 is awesome but still bulky, especially with other lenses. I sold my X100 to get one and regret it, one 'system' is enough for me - the temptation to buy more Fuji lenses was too great.

I know the feeling! I'd probably be cheaper just buying a cheaper lens, the 28mm f1.8 I think! Any maybe a Samyang 14mm

Just got my D800 in and, wow, what an upgrade. Bear in mind im jumping up from the D7000. Been snapping at ISO 800 round the house and the IQ is amazing!
Looking through the manual and set the RAWs to compressed. Getting over 500 on a 32gb CF card. Better than I thought! Cant wait to give it a proper workout now.

The widest I have at present is a sigma 35mm. I haven't shot anything landscape-wise since early last summer! :/ trying to get back into the swing of things now with the weather picking up.

Shot some portfolio pics for a student model last week, and it almost felt strange to be setting up lights again, been so long. But I was happy with the result, and wasn't long before I was comfortable shooting, directing, setting up, processing again.

I think we've established on here many times, btw, that the D800 is a beast for all ... bar sports :D

Back