Nikon D800......

Aye, I had the X100s alongside the D800, and found I was still reaching for the big cam more. The fuji cam's are nice, but over priced IMHO.

Fuji X100 is excellent complement to a DSLR. It has excellent IQ, optical viewfinder and is small and light. Latest firmware updates significantly improved its responsiveness and added features.

After getting X100 I am using it exclusively for everyday photography, family, travel, etc. I sold my 35 and 50mm lenses

I continue using my D800 for anything else (ultra-wide landscapes and long tele lenses).

Just updated my firmware. Having ISO on the record button is nice, especially with a heavy/long lens attached. You can keep hold of the lens while adjusting, instead of having to use both hands on cam. Useful when using off cam flash in hand too I guess. Otherwise just the fix to the green light staying on and the fix to off cam flashes not firing are all I'm interested in really.

Thanks for the suggestions on backpacks guys but I'm really pretty narrow on my requirements..

Smallish backpack - just needs to fit D800 + 16-35 attached + room for spare lens, area for personal gear (waterproof coat, snacks etc)

I already have a modified Lowe Alpine 50ltr backpack for when hiking, the new one is purely a compact travel backpack for holidays

Simon
I use the Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L for light travel, theres also the 20L as well

Top right D800 with l plate attached
Top Left Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
Right centre, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Right bottom TC 1.4X and TC 1.7X in leather bag
Bottom left Nikon 14-35mm f/4VR
FILTERS, CARDS, BATTERIES ETC , FRONT INNER COMPARTMENT
Tripod on left side tripod holder, 1.5lt hydration pack on other side

Hallelujah to assignable REC button!!! Something I've been enjoying since the start on the D4 and I really couldn't understand why it wasn't a feature on the D800. We're about to invest in a D610 to see what it's like - hopefully it sees the assignable REC and centre zoom options added in a firmware update soon!

Thanks for the suggestions on backpacks guys but I'm really pretty narrow on my requirements..

Smallish backpack - just needs to fit D800 + 16-35 attached + room for spare lens, area for personal gear (waterproof coat, snacks etc)

I already have a modified Lowe Alpine 50ltr backpack for when hiking, the new one is purely a compact travel backpack for holidays

Simon

Then the lowepro flipside sport 15l sounds ideal for you, it's what I take with me everywhere even though I also have the 20l too

The 15 is just small enough but roomy enough for your day gear plus camera

Hi D800 people

I have recently got a D800 and have just updated the firmware.
However, it now has a problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can help me with it?

it shoots a few frames and then kind of freezes-up/goes super slow, to the point where it won't let me take further photos and even when I turn it off, it still shows as being on on the top LCD screen for 30 seconds or so.
I've tried using different cards and reformatted those cards. I've reset the camera and removed the battery.
Still not working properly.

Is this a return to manufacturer job or am I doing something wrong?

:(

Thanks
A

@Cheese Scientist

If you mean it shoots a few frames in continuous burst mode, then slows right down, then that's perfectly normal. Stop machine gunning, and instead set to to singe shot. It also sounds like you have very slow CF/SD cards in it if it takes too long to clear the buffer. With very slow cards, you can run out of buffer even if you only take a shot every few seconds.

If you mean it just randomly locks up.. then no, that's not normal at all.

Last edited:
If you mean it shoots a few frames in continuous burst mode, then slows right down, then that's perfectly normal. Stop machine gunning, and instead set to to singe shot. It also sounds like you have very slow CF/SD cards in it if it takes too long to clear the buffer.

Hi, not in continuous burst and not a slow cards. It's something other than just the write speed I think.
Eg, I've just switched it on taken one shot which takes ages to come on the view screen then still takes 30 secs to come off the lcd screen after turning off.

@Cheese Scientist

Hi, not in continuous burst and not a slow cards. It's something other than just the write speed I think.
Eg, I've just switched it on taken one shot which takes ages to come on the view screen then still takes 30 secs to come off the lcd screen after turning off.

CHeck you've not got Long Exposure Noise Reduction turned on.

Definitely faulty.

Final check. Cards formatted in camera? Does it do it with both SD and CF? (test each separately).

Does it do it with no cards in?

@Cheese Scientist

You liked the post before I edited... so you may not have seen,,,

does it do it with NO cards in?

What make of card(s) are you using?

I see your location is London I'm also in London mon-fri near Heathrow/hounslow area, and have some spare cards CF and one sd, more than welcome to run a test cameras side by side etc

Wow, that's really kind but I'm not near there at all. I've arranged a refund on the card I've got and I see if that's the only problem.
If that doesn't fix it, I may well take you up on the offer and take a trip!!!

Did the problem only appear right after the firmware update ?

Register with Nikon and email them for advice. They are very helpful. I have always found them fairly quick to reply.

as part of the firmware update was this which is attached

If you have a Lexar 400x or 1000x Lexar CompactFlash®, please click here
pdf_s.gif
for instructions to ensure compatibility prior to running your firmware update.

Yup, I have the OS version. Very nice lens. I fear there's something wrong with mine though. It rattles quite a bit, like the parts near the rear move about more than I think they should ... yet, it still seems to work perfectly.

Hi quick question please.

What is the fastest 32gb sd type cards for use in the D800 in your experience.

I have just purchased several new compact flash cards but need the sd cards for backing those up. As I got top end CF cards in terms of speed I don't want the sd back up cards slowing me down.

These would appear to be the quickest I have found so far in terms of write speed http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-Class-UHS-1-Memory/dp/B006YAORNG

Anything better than these around?

Hi fellow D800 Owners,

I have a D800 purchased from Jessops in April 2012 when it was first released. I was solely using it for video production but have recently started to use it for photographs where I have noticed focusing issues.

Has anyone had the dreaded left focus issue? NR article mentions it way back in 2012.

I am experiencing focusing issues with both the Nikon 24-70 and Nikon 1.4 50.

Has anyone who purchased in 2012 or more recently had this issue and successfully got Nikon to correct/fix this issue?

Thanks,

Red

had it with my first d800 sent it to nikon and it came back worse :( seems to be mixed results most do get them back fixed.

contact them via there site and they will ask for sample images.

set up a focus chart and take images with the centre, left then right(outer) focus points, single shot af, mirror up or with a cable release on a tripod, repeat a few shots on each point and rack the focus manually between each shot.

re do using live view and compare

Thanks pmac for sharing your experience. I have read of other stories online that results have been mixed when sending to Nikon. Did you eventually get yours fixed. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Thanks for letting me know what they may request. I used their online chat earlier and they aren't admitting to the issue with the D800 and simply said fill out a form and send in the camera to them to test.

Will they likely do the same focus chart test? I mainly use the device for video so will have to set aside sometime between shoots to figure out how to go about this for stills.

Can't say I am pleased about this issue and can't be without the camera too long.

Red

They won't officially admit to any d800 issues, at the time of mine being bought they wanted proof before sending it that it had issues. above was what you had to do to be allowed to send it for a check free of charge. they will use a machine to test and re calibrate it. I'm sure there were others on here that had it done and returned working.

No i took it up with the shop as i was leaving the country for nearly a month and was told the second repair wouldn't be ready in time. After a lot of back and forth with the shop they replaced it.

I think it was a 2-3 week turn around when i sent mine in February/march last year.might be quicker now and they should tell you.

Finally decided that I needed an everyday zoom so plumped for the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 to replace my Sigma 35mm f1.4 - loving the lens, very sharp and its great having the range on it too.
I do miss the Siggy but I couldn't afford both - I can actually see the Nikon 16-35 f4 I just bought as well getting sold on I think 24mm is going to be wide enough for most things.

Back