Nikon D800......

So I've had my D800 for a couple of months now since upgrading from a D7000 - I have to say I have no regrets at all. File sizes can be an issue but if anything it has made me more discerning when out shooting and with what i keep when back at the computer. Lens wise - I have a Nikon 16-35mm that I use for most of my landscape shots ( i wanted to retain the use of my grad filters) , a Nikon 24-70mm for general use (this is my favourite lens and the one that really brings the best out of the D800 for me) and an 85mm 1.8g that I use for portraits although unless I really need the speed in low light I tend to stay above 2.8 as sharpness goes way downhill below that.

When funds aloow i'll be looking to introduce a longer lens to my bag, probably a 70-200mm F2.8. I suspect there are countless threads on which one to choose but wondered if anyone had any thoughts on best match for a D800? I'd like the Nikon V2 but its very pricey and most of my work is landscape or portraits. I'd use the longer lens on the odd occassion but probably not enough to merit the price of a V2. I've seen used V1's and also read up on the Sigma and Tamron - any thoughts on best value given my somewhat limited future use?

Last edited:
The 70-200 VRII was introduced to be more compatible with full frame cameras ... there is some debate about whether it is better than the VI, personally the VRII is my best lens. If price is an issue (when isn't it :) ) then the older 80-200 has an excellent reputation and could be a cheaper option.

The 70-200 VRII was introduced to be more compatible with full frame cameras ... there is some debate about whether it is better than the VI, personally the VRII is my best lens. If price is an issue (when isn't it :) ) then the older 80-200 has an excellent reputation and could be a cheaper option.

very much agree with this, I've had the 80-200/2.8 AF-S and it was a fantastic lens, currently have the VR I and the VR II and of course if I had to choose only one it would be the VR II but in real world use I can't tell the difference between images taken with all three lenses

I had the VRII for a while. Ended up selling it as it wasn't getting enough use. It's a grand lens, but I think people get over excited about it.

Im with cagey.
I bought one on the recommendation that its the best lens you can buy. Ive used it many 10x in 2 years. I don't think its any sharper than any of my other lens, it massive and it weighs a tone.
Thought about selling it a few times but always worry it will be missed if i do,even without it getting used.
As soon as nikon or sigma bring out a good 135mm i think it will go.

I sold that and my 24-70 and bought a 35 1.4, 85 1.8 and 150mm macro. And added a 300mm and TC later. Much happier with those. I can split them up depending on what I'm heading to shoot. With the 2 zooms I was lacking macro capabilities and 200mm wasn't long enough for the bit of wildlife I wanted to shoot. And I find all of those primes as sharp as the 70-200 if not sharper, the 35 and 85 in particular.

So I've had my D800 for a couple of months now since upgrading from a D7000 - I have to say I have no regrets at all. File sizes can be an issue but if anything it has made me more discerning when out shooting and with what i keep when back at the computer. Lens wise - I have a Nikon 16-35mm that I use for most of my landscape shots ( i wanted to retain the use of my grad filters) , a Nikon 24-70mm for general use (this is my favourite lens and the one that really brings the best out of the D800 for me) and an 85mm 1.8g that I use for portraits although unless I really need the speed in low light I tend to stay above 2.8 as sharpness goes way downhill below that.

When funds aloow i'll be looking to introduce a longer lens to my bag, probably a 70-200mm F2.8. I suspect there are countless threads on which one to choose but wondered if anyone had any thoughts on best match for a D800? I'd like the Nikon V2 but its very pricey and most of my work is landscape or portraits. I'd use the longer lens on the odd occassion but probably not enough to merit the price of a V2. I've seen used V1's and also read up on the Sigma and Tamron - any thoughts on best value given my somewhat limited future use?

I never got to try my VR2 on my D800 it was superb on my D700 though.

I have the Tamron V.C 70-200 now and it's just as good as the VR2 was right up to about 180mm, it's a bit softer between 180mm-200mm wide open.

The V.C on the Tamron in my opinion is better than the Nikon VR.

What is the least used lens people have?

quite a few in plastic boxes but of lenses to hand/in bag the one that never seems to get used is my 105/2.8 af-s macro (nearly always reach for the 60mm for macro work)

As above my 70-200.
My most used is my 85 1.4 probably because its my oldest, fallowed by my 24-70.
I can easily see my 35 1.4 catching and taking over quickly, its my currently most used lens and has hardly been of my camera in the past 4/5 months

quite a few in plastic boxes but of lenses to hand/in bag the one that never seems to get used is my 105/2.8 af-s macro (nearly always reach for the 60mm for macro work)

Is it flowers or insects you are shooting or something else? I found the 60mm scaring bugs away.

Is it flowers or insects you are shooting or something else? I found the 60mm scaring bugs away.

to be fair I've got oddities for macro (see profile pic) so it's usually quick product type shots where I'll reach for an AF macro, also the 60 is the lens we use as standard for portraiture in the studio so it's kinda natural to reach for it, I guess the other way of looking at it is that for the odd bits of quick product type stuff I'm not feeling the need of the extra focal length or VR

My 150mm macro, as i tend to use it specifically for close up and macro work, which I don't get out and do enough of! Planning to change that. When i had a 60mm macro I used it a lot more as it was great for portraits. The 150 is squeezed between my 85 and 300, it doesn't do portraits as well as either, and it's not long enough for wildlife - which I also need/want to do more of in future. The 300 would be my next least used. The 35 and 85 just hog most of my shooting.

Last edited:
What is the least used lens people have?

Probably my Nikon 24mm f2.8 D - usually picked my Sigma 35mm over it and now the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 however I do see it getting use when I just want to stick the camera and a small lens in my bag.

i use my 14-24 the least but i absolutely love it when i do use it.
tbh its probably wasted sitting in my bag 99% of the time but when i want/need to shoot wide there's almost nothing better :)

When funds aloow i'll be looking to introduce a longer lens to my bag, probably a 70-200mm F2.8. I suspect there are countless threads on which one to choose but wondered if anyone had any thoughts on best match for a D800?

Personally I think its best if you save the cash and get a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8VR II as it is the best choice and brilliant in every way, mite aswell get top of the tree of the 70/80 -200mm range :)

Enjoying the Ziess 21mm F2.8 on mine. Just some Flickr Low res posts
_DSC0486 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr
_DSC0509 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr
The LV focusing method is working well for me, and I like the preview histogram functionality in LV. Something the Nikon D610 doesn't have is the preview histogram.

Yep. D800.... quality optics... LV manual focusing.. tripod and cable release. Can't get any better for landscape without going medium format IMO.

Yep. D800.... quality optics... LV manual focusing.. tripod and cable release. Can't get any better for landscape without going medium format IMO.

All of the above but I use two second self timer, after focussing in LV. The cable release only comes out for long exp. Works for me as its one less thing to do whilst setting up.

So long as you're not stabbing away at it with a big fat finger... same deal :)

Got a Nikon 400mm f/2.8 VR and gave it a whirl at the weekend in between rain showers, it's an absolute monster to carry about and handhold but a sharp beast. Tried the 2.0 TC III on it to see some birds and my respect to wildlife shooters who use 600-800mm as sometimes I could barely even find the bird never mind compose a shot.

It thought it would ask a couple of questions about the D800 as currently looking to pick one from the classifieds.

What memory cards would you recommend, I'm looking at CF as I have a 32gb 80mb/s SD card that will stay in the sd slot, I was think of buying 2 off SanDisk 16gb 60mb/s CF cards (due to the large file size).

Also is there a third party right angle viewfinder that would fit both a d800 and a crop d700/7100 with an adapter?

Which remote release cable is good to use?

Nikon's screw-in DR-5 fits the D800 and D700. I'm not certain myself but it's supposed to work on the D7100 when used with a DK-22 adapter- see
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11048/~/which-right-angle-finder-can-i-use-on-my-camera?

A 3rd party Seagull finder might work the other way round - i.e. fit the D7100 'as is' and be adapted to work on the D800 and D700. Speed Graphic say it will - http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/viewf...angle_finder_adaptor_nikon_round/17366_p.html

Do you want a wired or wireless remote?

Last edited:
Nikon's screw-in DR-5 fits the D800 and D700. I'm not certain myself but it's supposed to work on the D7100 when used with a DK-22 adapter- see
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11048/~/which-right-angle-finder-can-i-use-on-my-camera?

A 3rd party Seagull finder might work the other way round - i.e. fit the D7100 'as is' and be adapted to work on the D800 and D700. Speed Graphic say it will - http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/viewf...angle_finder_adaptor_nikon_round/17366_p.html

Do you want a wired or wireless remote?

Thats a pain its a DR-5 as I already have a DR-6. I will look into both of those, thanks.

Wired remote would probably be the I go for due to be able to hold the shutter open for bulb.

It thought it would ask a couple of questions about the D800 as currently looking to pick one from the classifieds.

What memory cards would you recommend, I'm looking at CF as I have a 32gb 80mb/s SD card that will stay in the sd slot, I was think of buying 2 off SanDisk 16gb 60mb/s CF cards (due to the large file size).

I use Sandisk Extreme 45MB/sec CF and SD. Works fine even for 1080p 30fps video. If you already have a 80MB/s SD card, then you probably want to match it with the CF, but it's not important that you do. No one buys a D800 to shoot anything that would fill the buffer any way.

Which remote release cable is good to use?

I'm using a Yongnuo MC-36R wireless trigger, and it's also an intervalometer. Dirt cheap and been utterly fab.

Folks - looking for a telephoto to accompany my Tamron 24-70 f2.8..... really finding that something longer would be really useful to have.
Tried the Nikon 70-300 and found it to be decent (surprised me!) but wondering if I were to spend more what the best options would be? - ideally I wouldn't mind having something I can try doing a bit of motorsport with but open to suggestions!

Fast aperture required?

The new 80-400 or if the 70-300 range suits but want for speed what about Siggy's 120-300/2.8?

Oh I'd love the Sigma 120-300 but price is a bit much! - I've half been looking at the Nikon 70-200 f4 VR which seems to get cracking write ups - 300mm would be good but without going for the 300 f4 prime it seems hard to get a zoom thats great at 300mm.

Also considering the Sigma 50-500/150-500 but suspect I'd prefer more speed - I guess VR would probably be a nice to have on a lens or I'd consider another Sigma 100-300 f4 had one before for a Sony and it was a cracker!

Oh I'd love the Sigma 120-300 but price is a bit much! - I've half been looking at the Nikon 70-200 f4 VR which seems to get cracking write ups - 300mm would be good but without going for the 300 f4 prime it seems hard to get a zoom thats great at 300mm.

Also considering the Sigma 50-500/150-500 but suspect I'd prefer more speed - I guess VR would probably be a nice to have on a lens or I'd consider another Sigma 100-300 f4 had one before for a Sony and it was a cracker!

There's a 70-200 f/4 in the classifieds which is a brilliant lens.

Rob, The Lexmark 32Gb CF x1000 is about as small as I'd want to go - 500ish shots.

The slower the card the longer (& we are talking GIGABYTES) it takes to copy off. For me, get the fastest you can afford

Back