Nikon D800......

I'm quite tempted to pick up a used D800E for landscapes. I don't do landscapes, but wouldn't mind having a go !

Holy thread revival! The d800 is still a beast of a camera - it hasn't suddenly got bad because of the d810/d750/d5 releases!!

Sophia Mono by Shaheed Rahman, on Flickr

Another great shot. She is quite the model!

Good point about the 800 still being a great camera though.
It seems whenever a new camera is released owners of the previous model seem to start finding all sorts of weaknesses with it which means they have to upgrade !
I have been guilty of this too.
But, I have been upgrading my lenses, and can't afford a new body for another month or 2. Luckily, my D700 is still a fantastic bit of kit. It'll do until I get my next body! (D810)

Is there much difference with the newer D810 over the D800?

A lot of small, incremental improvements... new sensor, faster processor, wider ISO range, RAW S format, group AF, highlight weighted metering, faster frame rates, front shutter curtain, built in stereo microphone, bigger monitor, longer battery life.... probably a few other minor tweaks that I've missed.... nothing very dramatic on its own but probably quite a lot when you add it all up. Nothing wrong with the D800 though, still a great camera!

D800/810 shooters, for landscape photography which wide'ish Nikkor lens might you suggest with your experience please?

I don't know the Nikkor range of lenses that well. Something like a 16mm/18mm/20mm etc... Is it best to go primes or a short zoom I wonder? I'd love to see anyone's images shot with their wide angle Nikkor glass, appreciated.

Thanks;
Pete

I use the 16-35 now. I'm happy with it.

D800/810 shooters, for landscape photography which wide'ish Nikkor lens might you suggest with your experience please?

I don't know the Nikkor range of lenses that well. Something like a 16mm/18mm/20mm etc... Is it best to go primes or a short zoom I wonder? I'd love to see anyone's images shot with their wide angle Nikkor glass, appreciated.

Thanks;
Pete

I have a 16-35 f4 vr. Very happy with it. Only unhappy that I don't get out enough to use it! Takes (standard) filters too, rather than the bulbous ones.

I also have a samyang 14mm f2.8, mainly for when we go camping to do night stuff!

Not really an issue with landscapes and i never noticed anything with my D7100

Would still rather go D810 for the better AF and improved ISO.

Not even sure why we're even having this conversation. I'm very happy with my 750. :D

Buy a ticket for the lottery rollover tonight!!

Not really an issue with landscapes and i never noticed anything with my D7100

Would still rather go D810 for the better AF and improved ISO.

Not even sure why we're even having this conversation. I'm very happy with my 750. :D

The AF and ISO are slightly better, I didn't due to the cost differential between a low count d800 and d810 and my usage pattern.

I had a D610, same res as the D750. I just wouldn't want a 24mp when you can have that super high res sensor.

Sell the 7100 and 750 and get d810. Its just such a good camera

I no longer have the D7100.

I'm not changing yet. Having shelled out on a 14mm, 150-600 and a new tripod head in the last month, the difference I'd need to add to step up to a D810 is around £650 and i just can't justify the expense right now.

And being someone who doesn't print their shots, i probably wouldn't see a massive improvement.

I'm in the same boat/quandary Macvisual - I'd be happy with an 800/e but the prices at best are only £400 away from a new grey 810. But I'd rather not spend the extra £400. But I'd rather have a new one for 'just' another £400. It's tricky!!

Yes Gregg;

My exact same thoughts entirely, there's second hand 800E's on the likes of eBay/photographic dealers for around £1200/£1300 (and much more), for a few hundred ££ more you'd have a new/boxed 810 with full warranty.

:)

You could buy the sigma 85 in the classifieds and the d800e.....

Pay monkeys…..get Peanuts(10-366) by Shaheed Rahman, on Flickr

That said I know the dilemma and I'd probably talk myself into the d810!!

Either way you'll get an amazing camera!

I had the D800 and now have had the D810 for the lady 10 months..
I would very happily go back to the 800
Great camera

Back