Nikon D800......

D8** shooters, which Nikon 'portrait' lens would you suggest I look at? Any image samples would be great, thanx.

Depends on your space, natural light vs flash, subject number (groups/single).

You won't go too far wrong with a 24-70

The 70-200 is great of you've the room

85 is a lovely focal length

35 can be good for environmental portraits.

It depends really!!

Probably not very helpful! Sorry.

A bit more info will narrow it down!

Depends on your space, natural light vs flash, subject number (groups/single).

You won't go too far wrong with a 24-70

The 70-200 is great of you've the room

85 is a lovely focal length

35 can be good for environmental portraits.

It depends really!!

Probably not very helpful! Sorry.

A bit more info will narrow it down!
Thanks for that.

The portraits would mainly be outdoors using available light to capture head shots and dogs etc, I've got a Yongnuo 560III flash but not used it yet. I'm going to order the Nikkor 85mm f1.8G soon. Been looking closely at the Nikkor 135mm f2 DC which doesn't seem to be mentioned much as a portrait lens, strange that...

Thanks;
pete

Another really good selection, Steve, but #4 is fantastic! Love the detail, tones, movement in the water + the scene itself. Luuuuuverly. :cool:

Reactions: ST4
Reactions: ST4
Last edited:
Been looking closely at the Nikkor 135mm f2 DC which doesn't seem to be mentioned much as a portrait lens, strange that...

I've been playing about with one but not had the time to devout to it... took this back in the summer, she's a live wire and portraits? Well, I gave up! This is at f2.8

Indy by Barry Cant, on Flickr

I've been playing about with one but not had the time to devout to it... took this back in the summer, she's a live wire and portraits? Well, I gave up! This is at f2.8

Indy by Barry Cant, on Flickr

LOL I find child photography to be among some of the most challenging to shoot especially the hyper active ones ;)
As for the !35mm f 2.0 DC I almost let mine go last night but had a change of heart at the last minute :( sad for my mate but :) for me!
I always regretted letting my 105mm f2.0 DC go but with having the 85mm f1:1.4 I didnt expect to miss it but having just let the stunning AFS-VR 200mm f2.0 go I had to say no on the 135mm.

Thanks for that.

The portraits would mainly be outdoors using available light to capture head shots and dogs etc, I've got a Yongnuo 560III flash but not used it yet. I'm going to order the Nikkor 85mm f1.8G soon. Been looking closely at the Nikkor 135mm f2 DC which doesn't seem to be mentioned much as a portrait lens, strange that...

Thanks;
pete

The 135 DC really is a fantastic lens for portraits.
For me it is the ideal focal length for portraits, due to it's compression.
The bokeh is beautiful, but it isn't just the bokeh which makes it special.
This lens was designed ( back in the 1990's) to focus the red wavelength on a slightly different plane to give a rendering to skin tones which is unique.
It's old, takes a bit of practice to get the best out of it, but when dialled in correctly (mine needs + 16 micro adjust) it is unrivaled.
It is also extremely sharp. Anyone who says otherwise isn't doing it properly!
It also suffers from green/purple fringing in certain shots. Easily fixable in post though.
I don't have a D8*** yet, but on my D700 it shines.
Shame you don't live closer, you could have a go with mine !

(Having said all that, I still want a 200 f2 !!)

Link to the file above (which is in itself cropped) can found here

Last edited:
Holy moly Gregg;

An amazing set of quality night shoots, stunning work! Love them both but the bottom image is exquisite, you could easily see those all day long. Would look awesome professionally printed and hung on wall space.

That Nikkor 20mm G is a corker of a lens it seems, I must have a closer look at it. On the bottom image where was your focus point?

Regards;
pete

Last edited:
Back