Nikon D810

A pair of Df's

Lovely files but I've run into a couple of issues this season.

1. I shoot around the edge of a frame and use outer AF points a lot. The narrow spread of the Df has, as I feared, meant me working around it, rather than with it. The outer points themselves aren't as accurate as the 51 point sensors either.

2. Max shutter speed of 1/4000s. I shoot at f2 for 95% of a wedding, and this summer I've had to stop down more to counter that shutter speed limit. I want to be back at 1/8000s

The D750 was a poss, but the lack of AF-On and the same 1/4000s limit were both deal breakers for me.

Agreed on the AF spread being too narrow, I had to switch to a backup D700 when my Df failed during its first wedding and it was like the blinkers were taken off.

Can't understand your second point though, surely you had the same the same limitation on the D3S @ ISO200...?

Thought aperture had finished, Are they still updating the software for latest DSLR's then and not releasing a new version of aperture in the future?

One or two Internet rumours. I think it may be rebadged next year but if they pulled the plug it would be bad for buisness. I prefer Aperture to Lightroom but mostly use Bridge ACR and. CS6 these days.

Aperture have now released an update to allow manipulation of D810 Raw files within the software.
Aperture is dead. Apple have even said so. In the new year "Photos" will be replacing it. From what little people know it's better than iPhoto not as fully featured as Aperture.

The reason the raw updates are still coming is because Apple just update 1 system library all their products use. This includes iPhoto and i would assume photos once out.

To my knowledge Apple have not made such an announcement yet. Have you got a link ?

I have no doubt from rumour sites that there are big changes afoot but I can't see Apple just abandoning their existing customers using Aperture.

Last edited:

Thanks for that, however, I have read that previously. In fact there is a whole thread on this subject on this forum.Lots of forums are quoting Apple are saying this but to my knowledge there has been no official announcement from Apple, or at least I have never found an official Apple link to support this.

Agreed on the AF spread being too narrow, I had to switch to a backup D700 when my Df failed during its first wedding and it was like the blinkers were taken off.

Can't understand your second point though, surely you had the same the same limitation on the D3S @ ISO200...?

I could use lo.3 if I needed to....

Thanks for that, however, I have read that previously. In fact there is a whole thread on this subject on this forum.Lots of forums are quoting Apple are saying this but to my knowledge there has been no official announcement from Apple, or at least I have never found an official Apple link to support this.
I've just spent 10 or some minutes trawling apples site and press release for the official word on it. Couldn't find it. That said there's enough noes sites reporting it that it's got to be true. The only thing I can guess it was in some press pack from the WWDC news on the new Photos app.

I don't think it's anything to be worried about. Almost certainly changes afoot but not the doom and gloom the scaremongers are predicting. Why bother issuing the D810 update then? Whatever the outcome, no great shakes for me I'm ACR / CS6 for most of my work.

As someone who spends far too much money on equipment, I'm very manly resisting the temptation to upgrade my D800 to a D810. But for those of you that have scratched that itch, new features aside, can you hand on heart say that the images shot on the 810 are better than anything you would have got on an 800 or 800E ?

Or is it more the case that the 810 allows you a better opportunity of capturing the image (improved AF, FPS etc.), but just looking at the final output, is there actually much to choose between them ?

I am genuinely interested.

As someone who spends far too much money on equipment, I'm very manly resisting the temptation to upgrade my D800 to a D810. But for those of you that have scratched that itch, new features aside, can you hand on heart say that the images shot on the 810 are better than anything you would have got on an 800 or 800E ?

Or is it more the case that the 810 allows you a better opportunity of capturing the image (improved AF, FPS etc.), but just looking at the final output, is there actually much to choose between them ?

IMO, the good images are the same. And 95+% of the time there's no real difference between the D800 w/ AA and the D810 w/o AA. Some have commented on moire being much more prominent w/ the D810 but I suspect some of that comes from careless resizing/downsampling/display...

That's probably about the size of it.....

I've shot a wedding on 810's now - and they're very impressive. The Df edges it for ISO 6400+ as you'd expect, but the detail in the 810 files is insane. Masses of DR as well. The AF is simply stellar and the spread so much easier to work with. Dual slots and the handling is a bonus.

Last edited:

I nearly purchased a D800 last year, I was that close but I bottled it after reading reports that there were some AF issues in low light and it wasn't ideal for capturing fast action. I have no bench mark to compare if to but buying an D810 was a no-brainer for me. The initial models suffered from Thermal Noise. If you do get one insist that it has the 'black dot' in the tripod bush and running on FW C1.01 this is a factory upgrade and can't be done from the Nikon Website as there is also a sensor adjustment.

What I can say is that the AF is fast, relatively early days yet and I'm still pushing it's boundaries. It's quiet, it handles well and it's very responsive. It can shoot 47 lossless compressed 12bit RAWs or 23 u/c 14bit RAWs. Focus Tracking is more than capable. It's a good all round work-horse general purpose camera. Nikon market it as "I am - a modern masterpiece" I wouldn't disagree with that. It's a pleasure to use and the image quality is fantastic.

Worth noting that the D810 price dropped from £2699 to £2399 last week.

The day after I bought two.

Of course.

Worth noting that the D810 price dropped from £2699 to £2399 last week.

The day after I bought two.

Of course.

Par the course mate :-(

It's a choker when that happens, no doubt it will drop again just after Christmas but if you need it. You need it.

Last edited:
I attempted to hire the D810 to see how I felt about it but so far no luck - the 2 companies that I found had them for hire have withdrawn them for the time being and they have been sent back to Nikon to fix the white spot issue!
Not too sure im ready to spend the money on one without actually trying one?

I attempted to hire the D810 to see how I felt about it but so far no luck - the 2 companies that I found had them for hire have withdrawn them for the time being and they have been sent back to Nikon to fix the white spot issue!
Not too sure im ready to spend the money on one without actually trying one?

Very prudent, but if your familiar with the Nikon family of DSLRs then it's just like putting on a pair of comfy slippers.

Very prudent, but if your familiar with the Nikon family of DSLRs then it's just like putting on a pair of comfy slippers.

I have the D700 and did have the D3s but that was stolen - Im just trying to decide if I "need" the D4 or D4s or if I will be just as happy/or happier with the D810?

I have the D700 and did have the D3s but that was stolen - Im just trying to decide if I "need" the D4 or D4s or if I will be just as happy/or happier with the D810?

Big investment and a big decision. I think you should definitely stick to the plan and hire one. People will say 'this and that' but I think you need to comfortably make up your own mind based on what you are going to be shooting.

Mainly portraits of teens/children, a lot of nature/macro work and some birds (but only in the garden) :)

I'm struggling to see why spending £4K or whatever they are on a 16MP 35mm camera will help your portrait work and It's a COMPLETE waste of money for macro.

For that kind of money you could move up to medium format.

Back