Nikon D810

I'm about to take delivery of a D810 but am confused as to what is the best type of memory card to plump for. Coming from a D700 I have a stack of CF cards which are small 4gb Sandisk cards, all purchased probably 3-4 years ago. I'm assuming that they can be used in the D810 but are marginal in terms of size and perhaps speed.

My preference is for smaller cards so I can spread shots across several cards rather than have all my shots in one basket.

What would you recommend?

TIA

I'm about to take delivery of a D810 but am confused as to what is the best type of memory card to plump for. Coming from a D700 I have a stack of CF cards which are small 4gb Sandisk cards, all purchased probably 3-4 years ago. I'm assuming that they can be used in the D810 but are marginal in terms of size and perhaps speed.

My preference is for smaller cards so I can spread shots across several cards rather than have all my shots in one basket.

What would you recommend?

TIA

Get some 8GB's CF & SD cards, your get Sandisk ones at a cheap price with a fast speed these days, anything 45mb's and over I would personally recommend

Bit of a random comment but when I was shooting portrait (no extra grip attached), I seemed to open the memory card flap several times which I have never done with any other camera body when shooting! Anyone else found this? At one point I didn't realize it was open and came very close to snapping off the cover...............not good.

It must be the way you are holding it. You have to physically slide it back to disengage the locking catch. Mine feels a positive action.

OK, I'll get this out of the way first, I have a D800 which I love and have no intentions of trading in for a D810 as it does me just fine, having said that, I know a number of people have. Aside from the obvious changes (group AF from the D4, quieter shutter, slightly faster etc), what really are peoples thoughts that moved from the 800 to the 810. Was it (as I suspect), a small incremental upgrade, or a much more complex upgrade.

Would be just very interested to hear peoples thoughts.

On the cards: depends what you shoot mostly. If you ever plan on shooting a wedding you really want 32GB cards. I have mostly 32GB SD & CF cards, with 2 16GB ones I rarely ever use. They're just back up, in case ... But I find with just a couple of 32GB, you rarely run out of space in general, even for a wedding.

OK, I'll get this out of the way first, I have a D800 which I love and have no intentions of trading in for a D810 as it does me just fine, having said that, I know a number of people have. Aside from the obvious changes (group AF from the D4, quieter shutter, slightly faster etc), what really are peoples thoughts that moved from the 800 to the 810. Was it (as I suspect), a small incremental upgrade, or a much more complex upgrade.

Would be just very interested to hear peoples thoughts.
For me, primarily incremental for the AF and FPS. I couldn't care about the "group AF" (Nikon's have had it since the D300; maybe earlier). I didn't think I would care about the quieter shutter, but it is REALLY nice.

For me, primarily incremental for the AF and FPS. I couldn't care about the "group AF" (Nikon's have had it since the D300; maybe earlier). I didn't think I would care about the quieter shutter, but it is REALLY nice.

The Group AF is a new innovation first seen on the D4s. It works on 5 focus points. It's not quite the same as the D300 it looks and handles completely differently and very fast even in low light.

It's £1843 with a bank transfer at panamoz. You're saving £850 buying from Hong Kong.

And they come with the thermal sensor fix, latest firmware upgrade complete with the black dot within the tripod bush. UK manual and UK adaptor for charger

And they come with the thermal sensor fix, latest firmware upgrade complete with the black dot within the tripod bush. UK manual and UK adaptor for charger

A quote:

My first dealings with Panamoz was a very positive experience. It is the first time I have purchased camera equipment from this company, The communication and delivery far exceeded many camera shops and my expectations. A big thank you to Tina and the team. My D810 with the latest firmware (thermal imaging issue resolved) was well packaged and arrived promptly on the expected day of delivery.

I could pick up a 24-70 off here for £850 quid that I'd use a lot more than the manual.

From what I understand, nikon won't support or do warranty work on a grey import, which is what the D810 from Panamoz would be

From what I understand, nikon won't support or do warranty work on a grey import, which is what the D810 from Panamoz would be
Yes they will, they just dont know theyre doing it, or rather one of their authorised repair centres are doing it, A J Johnstone do all Panamoz repair work but usually Panamoz just send a replacement anyway

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon and I've just given it a trial run.
First impressions are good - well they should be really.
Much the same as D800 but more suited to wildlife - which is nice.
The focus snaps in without the need for written notice.
I very much like the quieter shutter - I have to agree with sk66 - it shouldn't make a difference but it does.
The extra fps is useful as is the 7 fps in dx mode (and I'm not starting a why bother with dx debate - it's useful to me if the subject is distant and then moves closer)
Ergonomically it feels fine - but then I have a weird hand so that may not be relevant.
If it behaves itself I think we'll get along just fine.

cheers, cw

The more you read the reviews and users opinions the more you realise that it is a wonderful body for £2,000 grey

I had been planning on picking up a Df shortly but the D810 has given me pause for thought. My initial decision had been centred mainly around the negatives (as I saw them) of the D800 for what I wanted:

Large file sizes / storage concerns
Weight
Shutter noise

The D810 update has taken care of the shutter noise which was probably my biggest concern and this caused me to take a further look the outputs. I was absolutely blown away by the D810 output, particularly the level of detail it maintains (even when significantly cropped) and the high ISO performance. The only camera I found which I felt beat out the D810 with regards to the ISO performance was the Canon 1D-X and that's not an option for me.

Files show almost no sign of noise up to 3200, show only the smallest amount at 6400 and remain respectable to 12,800. I dare say you could print fairly large sized prints (A3/A2) or display at web size using ISO 25,600 and noise wouldn't be an issue.

My only concern would be to what extent the D810 is affected by moire?

Last edited:
Of course they are now throwing in the D750 just to confuse the situation

Of course they are now throwing in the D750 just to confuse the situation

For the D750 to tempt me it would have to be a true D700 replacement, professional body, 20-24MP sensor, D810 ISO performance, D810 AF and I really don't see it being that. Nikon would all but kill the D610 and D810 with such a camera.

For the D750 to tempt me it would have to be a true D700 replacement, professional body, 20-24MP sensor, D810 ISO performance, D810 AF and I really don't see it being that. Nikon would all but kill the D610 and D810 with such a camera.

Read the rumoured spec …………

The only camera I found which I felt beat out the D810 with regards to the ISO performance was the Canon 1D-X and that's not an option for me.
This I would disagree with. The D3s/Df/D4/D4s all equal/better the D8xx at high ISO even after downsampling/normalizing the D800 files. Even the D3/D700 can equal it in some aspects/areas. Most ISO tests on the web are not worth much in regards to using higher ISO's due to lower light levels.

D750.org?...
I was surprised to find that a fairly succinct and accurate assessment.... not that anyone know anything as a fact re. the D750.

I think probably just a temporary link and it will change to something that we recognise shortly. The text will stay the same or be expanded on.

This I would disagree with. The D3s/Df/D4/D4s all equal/better the D8xx at high ISO even after downsampling/normalizing the D800 files. Even the D3/D700 can equal it in some aspects/areas. Most ISO tests on the web are not worth much in regards to using higher ISO's due to lower light levels.

I'll concede that the comparison samples I used were all studio shot under good lighting conditions so this will obviously have an effect on the ISO performance.

Under these conditions though I found:

At 6400 ISO the D810 was significantly cleaner than the D700.
At 6400 ISO the D810 showed similar levels of noise to the Df. Downsized the D810 looks cleaner.
At 6400 ISO the D810 showed similar levels of noise to the D4. Downsized the D810 looks cleaner.

At 12,600 ISO the D810 was significantly cleaner than the D700, particularly in the shadows.
At 12,600 ISO the D810 showed Very similar levels of noise to the Df. Downsized the D810 looks cleaner.
At 12,690 ISO the D810 maintained a little more detail but noise in the block colour sections was similar. Downsized then I'd say the D810 pips it.

At 25,600 the D700 is left well behind. Significant amounts of colour noise and bright spots.
At 25,600 the Df is VERY similar at full resolution, downsizing makes a big difference.
At 25,600 it's a close call. Personally I feel the D4 looks at tiny bit cleaner at full resolution but once things are downsized the D810 takes it.

The amount of detail the D810 holds onto even when viewing at the full 36mp resolution is amazing. The fact that these high ISO files are in the same ballpark as the D4 sensor even before downsizing gives the D810 an advantage.

All just my opinion based on comparisons from:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

I've owned the D3/s and D800 (among others). I currently own the D4 (Df equiv) and D810.... when light gets crappy, or I need a higher frame rate, then the D810 gets put away. It also get's put away when I'm having to push SS limits...

If I were to have to purchase only one camera today, it would probably be the D750 when it's released (assuming the rumors hold; and not due to price). Sadly, there is no "perfect camera" for everyone/everything...

D750.org?...
I was surprised to find that a fairly succinct and accurate assessment.... not that anyone know anything as a fact re. the D750.

Add to that the fact they call it the "D710" halfway through

The Group AF is a new innovation first seen on the D4s. It works on 5 focus points. It's not quite the same as the D300 it looks and handles completely differently and very fast even in low light.
I missed this...
It's not really "new," or an "innovation" IMO. It's just a stationary version of the way all Nikon's behave when in a dynamic AF mode (I think it's "all" but I can't really recall how my first Nikon DSLR's (D200/D300) behaved. But I know it's how all of the recent Nikon's behave). It's essentially just a d5pt mode.

You can test this yourself. Put the camera in a dynamic AF mode (w/ the focus enabled on the shutter w/ newer bodies) and set so that it won't fire until focus is achieved. Then attempt to focus on a blank section of wall where the camera cannot achieve focus. Now move the selected focus point towards something with detail it can focus on, like a window frame. The camera will focus/fire when one of the four surrounding points reaches the window frame.

If you do the same thing with a single point selected (i.e. non-dynamic AF mode) the camera will not focus/fire until the selected AF point reaches the window frame.

Back