Nikon Z* mirrorless

I managed to find stock and pull the trigger last night on the 100-400 Z Mount, just in time for my Scotland trip.

You'll like it. Very impressed with mine. It only photographs Scotland. Its well suited to it

I’m still sat on the fence pondering the Z9, been sitting here months lol. Main concern is the size and weight.

Glad to hear it, out of interest what body are you using?

The Z7 - bought it and the 24-200 as my dog walking kit. I live in a fairly nice area so its a handy "always with me" sort of set up. But I liked the sound of the 100-400 and a pal has one and loved it so I took the plunge. I still have the 850, Df and about 20 primes but I've been using the Z7 and 100-400 pretty non stop.

The Z7 - bought it and the 24-200 as my dog walking kit. I live in a fairly nice area so its a handy "always with me" sort of set up. But I liked the sound of the 100-400 and a pal has one and loved it so I took the plunge. I still have the 850, Df and about 20 primes but I've been using the Z7 and 100-400 pretty non stop.
That’s good I have the Z7II while I wait for funds to go Z9

Honestly the size isn't too bad, but the weight being twice the Z7/6 bodies is really noticeable.
For my video work I’ll have it on a tripod. Birds in flight I’ll use the 500mm pf which seems a good setup looking around various forums.

For my video work I’ll have it on a tripod. Birds in flight I’ll use the 500mm pf which seems a good setup looking around various forums.
I have a MB-N11 on my Z7II so think that would not be such a difference in size or weigh with both batteries, but can see why some would find it a noticeable

I have a MB-N11 on my Z7II so think that would not be such a difference in size or weigh with both batteries, but can see why some would find it a noticeable

THe Z7ii with MB-N11 is slightly larger than a Z9, but the Z9 will still weigh about 300g more. Doesn't sound like much but its half the weight of the Z7ii body again. :)

100-400 arrived today and very pleased, feels really solid. Focus tracking of small birds in tree seemed much better than f-mount lens, I could move camera about an it held the bird in the small yellow tracking box, Scotland trip from this coming weekend will be where I give it a good test but felt nice on the Z7II with MB-N11

100-400 arrived today and very pleased, feels really solid. Focus tracking of small birds in tree seemed much better than f-mount lens, I could move camera about an it held the bird in the small yellow tracking box, Scotland trip from this coming weekend will be where I give it a good test but felt nice on the Z7II with MB-N11
Where did you order from?

A robin and a great tit(?) from a stroll the other day. Z6 with a Sigma 150-600

DSC_4884e by Chris Willetts, on Flickr

(I know the branch is distracting, but I was shooting through trees and just getting a clear view was a bit of a miracle!)

DSC_4901e by Chris Willetts, on Flickr

Just noticed the ISO on both of these, was 25,600. Still blows my mind.

Last edited:
Photographed an event yesterday. Full day shooting, nigh-on 3000 images and the battery heldout for the full day.
Pleasantly surprised.
Just as well considering there's still no sign of the battery I ordered with my Z9...

Last edited:
Photographed an event yesterday. Full day shooting, big-on 3000 images and the battery holdout for the full day.
Pleasantly supplied.
Just as well considering there's still no sign of the battery I ordered with my Z9...
Haha must be in the same shipment as my Z9 or battery grip for my Z6II ;)

How are you finding your Z9? What you finding different

I've put my DX Z 18-140 up for sale in the forum if anyone is interested.
I don't need it as I have both the 24-200 and the 24-120 Z now.

This weekend was the first time using my Z9 and my 400mm f/2.8 VR in anger and really pleased with the results from it. The combo really does pick up focus quickly and tracks very well, I even tried eye tracking on one corner with some success on solo bikes but it wasn’t so good when multiple bikes appeared at the corner. I tried using 3D, small and large area and it all worked pretty well, just not found the sweet spot yet but they say practice makes perfect. Battery life is good too which is a blessing as I’m still waiting for my spare. The Angelbird CFExpress cards worked flawlessly too.4F4AD15C-681B-492B-A83B-7D21C715AF22.jpeg

great image Dave.
Have you modified the background or was it like that?

Thanks.

Background as shot apart from the edge of a feeder cloned out at the bottom.

Z9 on its way from Panamoz. Had to go this route because my UK supplier said it could be October before I got mine and I ordered first day. I’ve a lot of trips coming up soon. Bempton is one I’m looking forward to.

Z9 on its way from Panamoz. Had to go this route because my UK supplier said it could be October before I got mine and I ordered first day. I’ve a lot of trips coming up soon. Bempton is one I’m looking forward to.
Panamoz are great, I got my 50mm 1.8 a few weeks ago and got an email today from Tina checking all was good.

I read somewhere that the Z9 has less dynamic range than the D850. I appreciate landscapes aren't really in the design of the Z9 but do you notice it?

Do you see any PDAF lines/banding during shadow recovery etc.
I'm seeing zero negatives. I haven't been shooting landscapes though.
My only irritation is Nikon's inability to supply a spare battery.

Yes that's another downside.
It is a solid lump as well!

That's what I like about it. Size. I use a 645z - small camera's have 0 appeal tbh. For landscapes, out in the cold you want large buttons with space between them, deep handgrips and heft. The two tripod mounts of the 645z is genius - I don't think the Z9 has that but given most of the users will use lenses with tripod collars it's less of an issue.

It's probably been posted here before - but I'm very impressed with the Z6ii battery - just decided to recharge. 1,640 shots, 39% battery left. That's more than 6 times the specification.

It's been a while since I went out with the camera, this past weekend gave me a chance.

I've recently got a Tamron 150-600G2 after renting one last summer to take to Norfolk. As I'm going to Tanzania later this year it made sense to get this now so I can practice with it. Managed a few shots from a beauty spot near me.

DSC_4146-XL.jpg

DSC_4134-XL.jpg

DSC_4094-XL.jpg

Back