Nook Simple Reader - £29 shipped

I bought a glow one.

Always toyed with the idea of getting a kindle but was not comfortable with Amazons ability to just delete all your books if they think you did something against their t&cs. I hear you can remove their DRM but did not want to support a company that thinks it is OK to do that.

Anyway I now have a nook and it is great, and then I see this thread and I find out you can root the it too - even better!

I just want to highlight the difference in service, after nearly a fortnight of bull*** from Nook while trying to cancel my order it turned up on Thursday, I made sure it was ok etc. and phoned PCWorld yesterday to cancel to order I had placed there (still out of stock), no problem they said hold on, half a minute later "ok sir that's done" I went to check my bank account literally two minutes later and the refund was there, no hassle no arguments, just done.

Hugh, which browser did you install ?

I used NookManager from this XDA thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2040351 I couldn't get touchnooter or glownooter to work for some reason.

The whole process is very easy and non destructive (I ended up doing it 6 or 7 times last night), whichever method you choose it's pretty much the same procedure. Download the rooting image of your choice, and use win32diskmanager to write it to the micro SD. Switch off the Nook, insert the card and switch the Nook back on, In my case NookManager boots and you follow the instructions on screen. I chose to back up the first time and that took ages but the rooting process was automated. When it's done you remove the SD card as it reboots as normal. One good thing about NookManager is it has an option to factory reset the Nook in case you mess it up.

When you press the N button after that you get a choice of using the original Home screen or the new ReLaunch file manager. If you then add GApps you can have access to google play, gmail etc.

Once I had GApps installed I downloaded a free app off the market to initiate make sure the Nook was registered there, then I went to play.google.com as I said above and installed a decent web browser, ADW and FBReader + Cool Reader (your Nook should show up simply as "Phone" in your list of devices there).

I installed Opera Mobile since I use that one on all my other Android devices Alistair.

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject but I have 2 questions:

1) This rooting process, is it like unlocking a phone because if so won't that effect the warranty?
2) Does this rooting also work on the Kobo eReader?

Thank you

Rooting the Nook is a non destructive completely reversible process, that said I'm sure it does invalidate the warranty in the eyes of B&N. As for the Kobo I have no idea, you'd be best to look for "kobo rooting" on google and see what turns up :)

Im sorely tempted !is this easy to do?

If you use NookManager then it's very simple and straightforward, it's all 'menu'/option driven. You just need Nook Manager and a microSD card.

As Hugh says it's non-destructive and reversible, just make sure you do the Backup step that is recommended by the developer as the first step.

Back