OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

How did you find converting the mirrorless?

One of the issues I have is I can't see anyone else has published a step guide for modding the fuji and I'd hate to c*ck it up...

The G1 is a piece of cake. I picked it up for less than £80 if my memory serves me well including the 14-45 kit lens.
I googled G1 teardown and followed the videos. Most cameras have dismantling videos online. With mirrorless there is no focus adjustment needed.
The Nikon D70 is supposed to be easy to do too and also apparently doesn't need focus adjustment either.
I've found Canon DSLR's difficult to get right so would recommend they are left to the pros or very experienced. Nikons prove fairly easy (so far) but I think mirrorless and full spectrum is the best option personally.
I've got hold of a Sony NEX 5 and will be converting that soon for the fun of it:)

Yeah just tried browser and it's there - funny things happening lately!
Good to see you got another D80 on the road;)

Yeah just tried browser and it's there - funny things happening lately!
Good to see you got another D80 on the road;)
Reposted the link and seems to be fine now. I'll make sure to check it in the morning. Thanks for the heads up JulesP

Ooh I quite like that one:)
Guessing your camera is something like 590 or 640 nm infrared? Certainly lots of false colour in there so its not as high as 720nm

Yep, I think on balance I prefer 720, from what I was used to from the days of using a Hoya R72 filter in front of lens. But certainly different frequencies give you the possibility of lots more fun in PP:)

So, I wimped out on converting the X-E1. I just couldn't find sufficient info to help me through it.

Plenty on Pens though, so I got a surprisingly cheap E-PL1 from ebay and modded that yesterday. A lot more fiddly than the D70 (I eventually found all the washers...) but relatively straightforward as a process.

Nene Lock
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

So, I wimped out on converting the X-E1. I just couldn't find sufficient info to help me through it.

Plenty on Pens though, so I got a surprisingly cheap E-PL1 from ebay and modded that yesterday. A lot more fiddly than the D70 (I eventually found all the washers...) but relatively straightforward as a process.

Nene Lock by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

^^ That is lovely and crisp :) i like it alot

Mirrorless is definitely better in use :)
Liveview is a Godsend for IR
Nice image quality from the little Oly too - did you do a full spectrum conversion or IR only?

Last edited:
Yep I found the D70 very straightforward. I'll keep thinking on the Fuji...

Jamie, meant to ask you about this at the time you posted. I quite fancy picking up a D70 to butcher as a bit of a silly boy project (as my wife would call it). Did you have a guide to follow and could you steer me in the direction of a filter source? And, am I correct in assuming it matters not if its a D70 or D70S?

Lovely images above by the way. Those colours are fantastic. When I started dabbling with IR I'd made the assumption that everything I did would be mono but as it's turned out, I'm enjoying the colour stuff far more.

Jamie, meant to ask you about this at the time you posted. I quite fancy picking up a D70 to butcher as a bit of a silly boy project (as my wife would call it). Did you have a guide to follow and could you steer me in the direction of a filter source? And, am I correct in assuming it matters not if its a D70 or D70S?

Lovely images above by the way. Those colours are fantastic. When I started dabbling with IR I'd made the assumption that everything I did would be mono but as it's turned out, I'm enjoying the colour stuff far more.
Try here -

http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials/nikon-d70-d70s

Yep, that's the one I used for the D70.

David sent me the filter for my D70s (I believe D70 will do just as well) but the Oly one I got on ebay. If you search you'll come up with a seller who has a range of sizes for the popular wavelengths, about £12-£15 each.

Yep, that's the one I used for the D70.

David sent me the filter for my D70s (I believe D70 will do just as well) but the Oly one I got on ebay. If you search you'll come up with a seller who has a range of sizes for the popular wavelengths, about £12-£15 each.

Very grateful thank you. I feel a project coming on....

And you mentioned that AF needed no adjustment?

I tend to get my filters from Stock Optics - very good company.
Most people say the D70 needs no AF adjustment. On my old D40 I had to move the sensor slightly backwards to get AF just right - I used very thin plastic washers to pad out the sensor assembly (VERY thin)

There - we said it - Stock Optics.
For some reason it's always been shrouded in secrecy where people source their filters from - but there you have it - it's out in the wild - Stock Optics :)

Yes perhaps ;), though I'd have to work out a better system for those washers..!
Hi Jamie - on the Oly e-pl1, can you set a custom white balance in IR?
I have a Panasonic G1 full spectrum which I can set an infrared white balance on grass etc but I recently bought a Sony NEX 5 to convert but found out you cannot set an IR white balance (plus I kind of like the NEX as it is for a back up lightweight camera). I'm getting kind of bored of the G1 and want something else to play with and maybe the Oly fits the bill (as long as custom WB can be set whilst in IR)

Hi Jules, yes you can pre-set WB. Either by pointing (at grass say) and locking that in, or you can dial in your own Kelvin figure.

Jamie - you're putting us all to shame right now ;)
I really need to get out and luckily I have the next 6 weekends off :)

That little Oly produces some good images.

Last edited:
Back