OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

Every time I log on to this site , just when I think it couldn't be any better !! Well I'm just totally blown away with these works of art . What a talented bunch you are . Excellent . Thanks for sharing .

p2094795254-5.jpg

p2068062427-5.jpg

Hello again peeps, right I have a nice IR D70 but I have no idea how to process the images, can anyone point me to an idiots guide? I have really really basic PS know how, I downloaded gimp and that makes even less sense to me, I think I have installed Khromagery but where is it and what do I do with it :/ any help from you wonderful peeps would be so brilliant.

Sorry forgot to mention, when I view the thumb of the image it has a blue-ish sky but when I open the image it's red??

Last edited:
OK Paul, first, shoot in RAW. Use the custom white balance I set for you, images should have orange sky and white grass.

Open the image in Photoshop. Set the basic image to look good using the RAW processor.

Use the Khromagery plugin, which swaps the red/blue colour channels. This should bring the blue sky back, but leave foliage white.

Then tinker till you are happy.

Always shoot with the sun behind you, and you will only get first class images on a sunny day with a few clouds about.

Above all, just experiment with colour hues and white balance settings till you get what you want.

Hi, I have been blown away by this thread; the images are stunning. It's piqued my interest and I'm debating buying the Hoya r72 IR filter. I know it won't give me results anywhere near as decent as the ones here, but was just wondering what people's experience of using it is?

Hi, I have been blown away by this thread; the images are stunning. It's piqued my interest and I'm debating buying the Hoya r72 IR filter. I know it won't give me results anywhere near as decent as the ones here, but was just wondering what people's experience of using it is?

As long as you get a long enough exposure and use a tripod you should be fine. To be honest, I prefer the longer exposure IR shots but love the convenience of a converted camera. It's a bit of a dilemma which to go for but at present I'm using a converted compact.
You'll do fine with a Hoya R72:)

Hi Mike

I've used the R72 and also the Ilford SFX filter in the past and they need an exposure of several seconds, but the results can be fine. The main issue with filters is that you have to cover the viewfinder during exposure or light gets in and causes a hotspot in the middle of the photo.

Peter

I agree on that hotspot issue, a right pain if you use an external filter.

Best bet is to grab an old D70 and get it converted, easy enough (I've just done my 6th !) ;) Or a Canon A810.

Bear in mind that with 720nm you will only get (mostly) monochrome, 650nm gives all those colours, a slightly faster exposure time and you can still still a higher bandwidth filter on the lens if you want.

Thanks, I take it that I was playing around with it on no1 gray day didn't help lol, well I really need to learn more PS, well this is what I got on a very gray day

Hi Mike

I've used the R72 and also the Ilford SFX filter in the past and they need an exposure of several seconds, but the results can be fine. The main issue with filters is that you have to cover the viewfinder during exposure or light gets in and causes a hotspot in the middle of the photo.

Peter

It is worth pointing out that hotspots are mainly caused by the lens itself as can be seen by referring to this lens hotspot database

I like that Russ, the tone suits the subject well.

S5 arrived back today with 665nm filter, been playing in the garden:

Tokina 11-16mm does show a mild hotspot at small apertures in some situations but not all, so I think I'll be keeping it. Protech also cleaned the mark from inside the lens FOC whilst it was there which I'm thrilled with!

Just bought a converted 40D and had a play outside the local church. Not quite where I'd like to be, but getting there.

Edit, forgot the techy bit. SOOC then run through Khromagery. Who knows where I go next!

Ainsdale Church by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Last edited:
I just use an R72 filter on a regular D70s then swap the channels in elements +. It does take a bit of practice with the camera but then it suddenly 'clicks'. Best to bracket a few shots I found, that way I can choose the one to give best colour/light mix.

Barnwell IR again by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

BTW Borrowdale above is indeed rather spendid

Last edited:
Thanks very much

It was from an original I took a while ago when the whole process using a filter and channel swapping fell into place. Just got a bit more practice at editing now.

S5 arrived back today with 665nm filter, been playing in the garden:

Tokina 11-16mm does show a mild hotspot at small apertures in some situations but not all, so I think I'll be keeping it. Protech also cleaned the mark from inside the lens FOC whilst it was there which I'm thrilled with!

Alan, have you tried swapping the colour channels on this,....I have ;)

Nice shots Alan. Have they had a lot of sharpening though?

I agree with Galaxy66 about the mono conversion but that seems to be a phase I'm going with with IR images. I seem to rotate from liking mainly blue, to mainly red and back to B&W again.

David it's Cwmorthin, just shy of Blaenau Ffestinog,

Ian, no they haven't, just LRs standard which is only needed to counter the softening of Flickr and Facebook.

Back