Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hello and happy new year to all,

I seek some advice from anyone regarding the following please, aim having difficulty handling for long periods my Nikon D510 + 16-85mm lens, I have started to look at the OLY E-M10 --EM5 and even a used E-M1 (used at £669) I have been offered a part ex price of £350 for my Nikon body +lens.

Now that I have retired I wish to photograph landscapes in particular so would need to factor in the price of a decent lens also.

Which of the above cameras should I look at and is the OM-E1 worth the additional cost?.

Thank you for any advice

Trevor

Hi Trevor

Well, it's weather sealed so that may be an advantage to you. You can buy new from hdew at a similar price to that you mention above for used.

I have just moved to an e-m10 from a d7000 and find it excellent. It's very light and fits nicely in my hand. The IQ is superb. Hdew have them at £389 body only I think

Oh, the e-m5 II is due to be announced next month so you'll get a great deal on one.

I have been using a E-M1 for 6 months and I love it. I have just got an E-M5 and it is much smaller but is very different to hold.
If it is possible try them out in a shop to see which you prefer.

I prefer the button layout of the E-M1 and its size for most work but I am happy with E-M5 for a walkaround camera.

Hi Trevor

Well, it's weather sealed so that may be an advantage to you. You can buy new from hdew at a similar price to that you mention above for used.

I have just moved to an e-m10 from a d7000 and find it excellent. It's very light and fits nicely in my hand. The IQ is superb. Hdew have them at £389 body only I think

Oh, the e-m5 II is due to be announced next month so you'll get a great deal on one.

Thanks damian,

So the only difference is weather sealing, can I get 100 ISO on both?. e-m10 does sound a good deal especially as I need to buy a landscape lens! who is Hdew someone you have dealt with perhaps?
Thanks again,
Trevor

Thanks damian,

So the only difference is weather sealing, can I get 100 ISO on both?. e-m10 does sound a good deal especially as I need to buy a landscape lens! who is Hdew someone you have dealt with perhaps?
Thanks again,
Trevor

The base ISO is 200 on all these cameras and 100 is low extended so you lose some dynamic range.

they're UK based grey importers ( looks like they've put their prices up this week, probably due to the £/$ exchange rate )

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-cameras-119-c.asp

I've dealt with them, and they're very good - it takes a bout a week to get the camera i think.

on the e-m10, the base ISO is 200 ( there is a "low" ISO too ) but I wouldn't let that put you off. I've shot an evening football match at iso4000 and the image was pretty clean...I'll try and find it. ...

I have been using a E-M1 for 6 months and I love it. I have just got an E-M5 and it is much smaller but is very different to hold.
If it is possible try them out in a shop to see which you prefer.

I prefer the button layout of the E-M1 and its size for most work but I am happy with E-M5 for a walkaround camera.

Yes, opportunity next Tuesday at Chester town hall to handle the three models we referred to above.

Thank you,
Trevor

I looked at the e-m1 but decided against it on the basis of size. Ok, it's not much bigger than the 5 or 10 but when my reasoning was to downsize, smaller was better.

Enjoy having a play and let us know how you get on

Thanks damian,

Thanks again,
Trevor

I would go for EM-5 price wise not much different :)

Thanks damian,

Thanks again,
Trevor
There is a good deal on the 12mm f2 in the classifieds at the moment.

I got the info from the Olympus website didn't notice anything regarding invite, why would you need an invite?

OK, must be an age thing, went back to the Oly website and found details regarding invite, too late to enter the draw now!> Afraid it's not my thing anyhow.

OK, must be an age thing, went back to the Oly website and found details regarding invite, too late to enter the draw now!> Afraid it's not my thing anyhow.
Its a special organised event. They do have other open days and also planned events. Did you see on the website you can book a test drive of camera and lens. Of course it depends if they have a participating store near you.

Should hopefully get some good shots next Tuesday.☺

Its a special organised event. They do have other open days and also planned events. Did you see on the website you can book a test drive of camera and lens. Of course it depends if they have a participating store near you.

Should hopefully get some good shots next Tuesday.☺

Great, hope you enjoy your day, look forward to some pics too!

they're UK based grey importers ( looks like they've put their prices up this week, probably due to the £/$ exchange rate )

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-cameras-119-c.asp

I've dealt with them, and they're very good - it takes a bout a week to get the camera i think.

on the e-m10, the base ISO is 200 ( there is a "low" ISO too ) but I wouldn't let that put you off. I've shot an evening football match at iso4000 and the image was pretty clean...I'll try and find it. ...

Bonus !! I ordered my EM-1 last week so got it at £689 :banana:

Great deal, is this your first oly om, may I ask why you chose the EM-1

No I have an EM-5 with battery grip and 14-42, 40-150 and a 75-300, reasons for Olympus are the combination of size and IQ really, I bought the EM-5 on a whim and really really liked it, so I thought I'd give the EM-1 a go, I handled one in a local shop and really liked the feel of it, it feels very nice in the hand and the general ergonomics just feel right.

Plus if I don't get on with it I'll move it on and keep the EM-5 as the IQ is very similar to if not the same as the EM-1.

No I have an EM-5 with battery grip and 14-42, 40-150 and a 75-300, reasons for Olympus are the combination of size and IQ really, I bought the EM-5 on a whim and really really liked it, so I thought I'd give the EM-1 a go, I handled one in a local shop and really liked the feel of it, it feels very nice in the hand and the general ergonomics just feel right.

Plus if I don't get on with it I'll move it on and keep the EM-5 as the IQ is very similar to if not the same as the EM-1.

Thanks for sharing your info, much appreciated as I've so much to learn even at my ripe old age, perhaps you could suggest a good landscape lens for me.

Going to pop to town tomorrow just to handle a couple, before I buy.

Thanks again,

Thanks for sharing your info, much appreciated as I've so much to learn even at my ripe old age, perhaps you could suggest a good landscape lens for me.

Going to pop to town tomorrow just to handle a couple, before I buy.

Thanks again,
But the 12mm from the classifieds! Hehe

I need someone to buy it before i give in and buy it...lol.

I'm not selling it, but if @daveproctor manages to sell it then he is in the market for my 25. :D

Ulterior motive etc... ;)

Very smart thinking, is that asking price good, still want the camera 1st, if it's still around after I have handled a few models I may comeback. That's if it hasn't gone.

Yay, EM1 :)

I've no time to play at the mo - work etc, but its not as large as I'd imagined and the only thing I've done (other than to test the rear dial) is to update the firmware and download capture!

@minnnt you only got the Oly gear recently. What GAS has set in now? Great price on the EM10. I would have taken it but am not convinced by the AF system to capture moving action like kids.

Thats a shame :(

Back