Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I hadn't realised how lovely their plumage is close up. Very nice. Do you find you always shoot at f/4 with the 300mm? (Assuming that's what you've used here)
Yes rarely change it f5.6 with the t.c . But it’s so sharp wide open it doesn’t help to stop down

Black crowned night heron.
Black crowned night heron by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Very nice. I didn't realise the female looked like that. I realise now I photographed the male. We had a male on the Isle of Wight last year. It was very sleepy and tucked in the bushes so only got record shots.

It's probably my sense of humour, but this image tickled me - the Iberian Azure Winged Magpie just seemed to be blissfully unaware of the GSW climbing ever nearer.

Shot on The Algarve with the OM1 and 100-400mm

He's behind you!.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

That's quite a catch to get two in one! I love those Azure winged magpies. I'm hoping to see some in a few weeks time when I head to Spain.

super set there bebop love the last one

This is a juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron - the change when they reach adulthood is substantial.
This is one I took in flight a few weeks ago on The Algarve - OM1 with the 100-400mm.

Juv BCNH2.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

And this is the adult.

Adult BCNH-Edit.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr
Great shots Malcolm. They have such little legs don't they compared to other herons? So juveniles are 'brown' and mine could be either sex then. I'll amend my post.

I've just had a quick read on Wiki as I thought they were called Night Herons because they tend to come out when it's not bright daylight... and the IOW one certainly looked sleepy during the day. It seems this is the case, but we've all managed shots in good light though and very much awake!
Apparently a pair bred in Somerset in 2017.

super set there bebop love the last one
Many thanks Jeff :)

Well done Bebop, some gems there. Makes you want to return!
Oh stop it :ROFLMAO: .... Mr. Bebop has already said I can :oops: :$:oops: :$:oops: :$

I wanted to raise the exposure on the Open-billed stork but then my Stilt disappeared into the background.

I really like the lighting on the Pied Kingfisher image.
Thanks Malcolm. I had to wait for him to turn his head so that I could get the light on the beak and in the eye.

Rhododendron Leafhopper in Norfolk. om1+90mm macro
15 shot stack put together in Helicon.

Rhododendron Leafhopper by Pete, on Flickr
Amazing capture. I just googled it - less than a cm in length and introduced to Britain in the 1930s.
Can I ask what aperture you go for when stacking something so tiny?

Oh stop it :ROFLMAO: .... Mr. Bebop has already said I can
That little devil will start gnawing away at you now until you book!
There are so many options for wildlife photography but they can be very expensive.
I have already sold a kidney and e-bayed 2 of my grandchildren to pay for trips! Fortunately I have another 5 grandchildren so the future looks bright for me!!

Oh stop it :ROFLMAO: .... Mr. Bebop has already said I can :oops: :$:oops: :$:oops: :$

I wanted to raise the exposure on the Open-billed stork but then my Stilt disappeared into the background.

Thanks Malcolm. I had to wait for him to turn his head so that I could get the light on the beak and in the eye.

Amazing capture. I just googled it - less than a cm in length and introduced to Britain in the 1930s.
Can I ask what aperture you go for when stacking something so tiny?
Yes when i first saw it i was like what on earth is that. They were all over the bushes but still gave me the runaround.
I go for 5.6 . I think the step was 2 when i go for things that small.

Bebop not sure if you have photoshop but your should be able to raise / lighten the detail on the storks body , hopefully other programs will have something similar or a masking /layering facility

Yes when i first saw it i was like what on earth is that. They were all over the bushes but still gave me the runaround.
I go for 5.6 . I think the step was 2 when i go for things that small.
Thank you.

Bebop not sure if you have photoshop but your should be able to raise / lighten the detail on the storks body , hopefully other programs will have something similar or a masking /layering facility
I don’t have Photoshop, but I do have more programs than I can shake a stick at :ROFLMAO: albeit old ones. I think I just raised the shadows a bit, but maybe I’ll have another go In Capture One as I can use the magic brush to select the stork. I felt the background looked a bit drab too.

Wonder if the om1 mkii is in development to compete with the a9 iii tech thats just been announced. The unlimited flash sync speed is crazy talk but would be sooo useful for macro
The OM-1 and A9 don't compete with each other as the A9 II is twice the price of the OM-1 so OMDS would need a completely new model to compete with the A9 III. I wonder if OMDS has the resources for that. Whether there will be an OM-1 with a global shutter depends on whether Sony has a sensor that's a suitable size that it's prepared to sell and whether OMDS can afford to buy it.

Last edited:
here we go first time out with the OM1 and its unreal .. got tons of shots left to process but the A/F has exceeded expectations ,I will be doing a reset later as I now realise where I went wrong this is from around a 20 shot burst and all in focus and also a very big crop cannot fault the a/f in any way just need to customise to my liking after use . its quite a complex menu system and even with u.tube videos its going to take time to get perfect .. but definitely can't complain
smart move by jeff cohen, on Flickr

his majesty by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
here we go first time out with the OM1 and its unreal .. got tons of shots left to process but the A/F has exceeded expectations ,I will be doing a reset later as I now realise where I went wrong this is from around a 20 shot burst and all in focus and also a very big crop cannot fault the a/f in any way just need to customise to my liking after use . its quite a complex menu system and even with u.tube videos its going to take time to get perfect .. but definitely can't complain

How does af compare to em1 mark iii? I am considering trading in my full frame kit, I went out with my epl-7 and the cheap plastic 40-150mm earlier and love the system so much more. I can't really afford the om-1 but just out of interest, I suppose.

Edit: those shots are beautiful, you got some amazing light there.

How does af compare to em1 mark iii? I am considering trading in my full frame kit, I went out with my epl-7 and the cheap plastic 40-150mm earlier and love the system so much more. I can't really afford the om-1 but just out of interest, I suppose.

Edit: those shots are beautiful, you got some amazing light there.
having been through the range 1mk1/mk2 /mk3/m1x and now this I feel pretty qualified to answer so on a rating of 1-to10 the mk3 comes in around 4.5 the m1x about 7.5 due to its built in i.d system the only downside is its heavy and for personal health reasons I have had to move up to the om1 which after today I rate as a 10/10. this is just the start of the journey and the rest of todays as yet unpublished shots confirm its a keeper ..I have now reset my c1 and c2 modes to suit my own style and obviously need further testing .but as far as I can see A/F lock is virtually instant and hold fast the kingfisher in flight shots were from burst of 28 shots all in focus .I rest my case

having been through the range 1mk1/mk2 /mk3/m1x and now this I feel pretty qualified to answer so on a rating of 1-to10 the mk3 comes in around 4.5 the m1x about 7.5 due to its built in i.d system the only downside is its heavy and for personal health reasons I have had to move up to the om1 which after today I rate as a 10/10. this is just the start of the journey and the rest of todays as yet unpublished shots confirm its a keeper ..I have now reset my c1 and c2 modes to suit my own style and obviously need further testing .but as far as I can see A/F lock is virtually instant and hold fast the kingfisher in flight shots were from burst of 28 shots all in focus .I rest my case
Incredible.

Still can't afford it, but if the mark 3 isn't significantly better than the mark ii I may just grab one of those. Or even a panny g9 (heresy in this thread!)

Great stuff, thanks for sharing

That's a tricky one to identify! Was it taken recently? I'd take a punt on a winter-plumage wheatear.
Hi Jerry I did initially think it was a wheatear but not 100% certain taken four weeks ago

Yeah I would go for wheatear as well the big white birds a glastonbury duck LOL

Yeah I would go for wheatear as well the big white birds a glastonbury duck LOL
Thanks Jeff and your right ducks at Westhay Moor while chasing bearded tits

Has anyone made the switch to the em1 mark iii from a Sony or any full frame mirrorless camera? If so, do you have any thoughts on how they compare from an image quality and dynamic range perspective? Can you still get decent night sky images?

It's the image stabilisation which is attracting me the most to the OM system, no tripod whilst hiking mountains would be lovely

Back