One Stop Digital - Experiences??

I've used them a couple of times, albeit 2 years ago, however service was excellent, and the lens pin sharp, sadly i sold it on which i now regret :bonk: as regards getting caught for the VAT i have read about a couple of people getting caught for it, but got there refunds no problem, sadly though with the exchange rate as it is the savings were drastically reduced, having said that i haven't looked on there site for quite some time, but i would have no hesitation in using them again in the future :)

Thanks Dougie. Yes, I've seen the advice, just hate the thought of having to follow it! Hope you enjoy that new lens.

Cheers - yes, having to go through the process of reclaiming the VAT does not sound appealing. However, I take the view that even if that does not work out the price paid for the goods will still be less than buying here.

I bought a Tamron lens from them a month ago excellent service and will be getting my next one from them too . Just got to get the missus to agree that I need a new macro lens:D

Thanks Dougie. Yes, I've seen the advice, just hate the thought of having to follow it! Hope you enjoy that new lens.

I ordered a lens on 12 Jan. It was quickly despatched and Fedex gave a delivery time of "by 1800 on 15 Jan".
I have followed it's progress and all was well until it got to Stansted. It has been at Stansted Int'l shipment release since 2300 on 14 January and Fedex are no longer showing a delivery date for it.
Right up until 1800 on 15 Jan, Fedex website claimed that the tracking history indicated that there was no reason to expect delay.
Not a word from Fedex and they only seem to have a phone number for emergencies over the weekend.

Don't like this too much. Hassle factor seems to be creeping in.

I ordered a lens on 12 Jan. It was quickly despatched and Fedex gave a delivery time of "by 1800 on 15 Jan".
I have followed it's progress and all was well until it got to Stansted. It has been at Stansted Int'l shipment release since 2300 on 14 January and Fedex are no longer showing a delivery date for it.
Right up until 1800 on 15 Jan, Fedex website claimed that the tracking history indicated that there was no reason to expect delay.
Not a word from Fedex and they only seem to have a phone number for emergencies over the weekend.

Don't like this too much. Hassle factor seems to be creeping in.

Sounds very much like yours has been taken into customs. Same thing happened to me on an item coming from the US. Dropped off the radar until I received (and paid by telephone) the outstanding tax and extra shipment charge.

Sounds very much like yours has been taken into customs. Same thing happened to me on an item coming from the US. Dropped off the radar until I received (and paid by telephone) the outstanding tax and extra shipment charge.

That's my fear.

Fedex tracking is now showing "Int'l shipment release STANSTED GB" whatever that means.
I have been in touch with OSD and tomorrow they are going to ask Fedex what the problem is.

Can you say who contacted you - was it the carrier or customs?

Have some cash in the house in case they deliver it and want cod for the import duty.

Have some cash in the house in case they deliver it and want cod for the import duty.

I never thought of that.
I always assumed that if customs wanted VAT etc. they would not release the goods until it was paid.

I never thought of that.
I always assumed that if customs wanted VAT etc. they would not release the goods until it was paid.

Depending on the carrier they may want payment on the doorstep (post office / parcel farce) although I have known them to accept a cheque, or with soime (UPS and DHL for example) they give you the goods and then send you an invoice in the post a short while later.

DHL have done that to me before, delivered and sent an invoice later, bit of a shock as they didn't tell me first and I wasn't expecting it!

Just checked Fedex tracker.
Item is now on a vehicle and out of their Paisley depot en route here.

I have had no advice on whether any payment is due.

Just need to see what happens.

Just checked Fedex tracker.
Item is now on a vehicle and out of their Paisley depot en route here.

I have had no advice on whether any payment is due.

Just need to see what happens.

Update:
Lens has just been delivered.
No payment requested and nothing in the documentation to indicate any money required.

hi everyone,

Arclight: glad your lens arrived ok! (which lens did you get?)

I've only just come across Onestop Digital as I'm new to talk|photography and have been reading the boards with great interest as I decide on what's the best lens for me to get next.

So I'll ask a potentially daft question... if you're buying say a £300 lens from OSD and you DO get 'collared' by customs, how much can you expect to pay? Is it simply the 17.5% VAT rate (so about £50)

I've been 'caught out' by customs in the past for some tshirts I've ordered from the US (threadless.com), but it sounds like OSD know the tricks of the trade (in the best possible way!)

It doesn't matter, any vat / import duty you pay will be refunded by OSD.

hi everyone,

Arclight: glad your lens arrived ok! (which lens did you get?)

I've only just come across Onestop Digital as I'm new to talk|photography and have been reading the boards with great interest as I decide on what's the best lens for me to get next.

So I'll ask a potentially daft question... if you're buying say a £300 lens from OSD and you DO get 'collared' by customs, how much can you expect to pay? Is it simply the 17.5% VAT rate (so about £50)

I've been 'caught out' by customs in the past for some tshirts I've ordered from the US (threadless.com), but it sounds like OSD know the tricks of the trade (in the best possible way!)

18-35mm Nikkor.

There may also be a repacking charge added.

I had an interesting conversation with a neighbour who has a part time business buying and selling all sorts of things over the internet. He rarely has had customs intercept anything from HK, but everything he has bought from US has been intercepted.

I would buy from OSD again. When my lens got delayed at Stansted I emailed them around noon, UK time. Within an hour they replied saying they would chase it up with Fedex.

18-35mm Nikkor.

There may also be a repacking charge added.

I had an interesting conversation with a neighbour who has a part time business buying and selling all sorts of things over the internet. He rarely has had customs intercept anything from HK, but everything he has bought from US has been intercepted.

I would buy from OSD again. When my lens got delayed at Stansted I emailed them around noon, UK time. Within an hour they replied saying they would chase it up with Fedex.

that's good to know... I think I may give them a go as I'd like to buy a new £300ish lens... I've been 'caught' when getting relatively cheap stuff sent from the US... I'm just hoping my address isn't 'blacklisted' in any way, so customs would investigate anything that is sent to me! it really only has been a couple of orders for 2 or 3 inexpensive tshirts!

Last edited:
that's good to know... I think I may give them a go as I'd like to buy a new £300ish lens... I've been 'caught' when getting relatively cheap stuff sent from the US... I'm just hoping my address isn't 'blacklisted' in any way, so customs would investigate anything that is sent to me! it really only has been a couple of orders for a 3 or inexpensive tshirts!

Think about opting for Fedex as the carrier. If your goods cost £320 or more they will be shipped Fedex free.
If you buy from OSD can you post your experience here please.

Think about opting for Fedex as the carrier. If your goods cost £320 or more they will be shipped Fedex free.
If you buy from OSD can you post your experience here please.

thanks arclight :)
yep I'll certainly post up any dealings I (or friends) have :)

Bought a filter from OSD based on the good feedback from others on this thread.

£20 cheaper than I could find elsewhere.

Ordered just before midnight 13 Jan.

Had email 7.00am 14 Jan to say dispatched by airmail and should be with me in 5 - 8 days.

Filter arrived in todays post (19 Jan) and exactly as described.

Brilliant service and a good price.

Ken

I bought a kenko pro dg 300 1.4x teleconverter, I ordered it on friday last week and it arrived today safe and sound and I saved at least £40.00 (no import tax)....recommend them, yes indeed, this is my second purchase inside 12 months without any problems.

I ordered up a couple of small items on Tuesday. They are now on a vehicle out of Paisley Fedex depot for delivery today. They got through Stansted customs in 2 hours.
Last delivery was 4 days at Stansted.

I've placed an order today for the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 from Onestop today... so I'll keep you all posted how I get on!

Last edited:
I've had two lenses from OSD, a Sigma 50mm 1.4 and a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (which wasn't in stock anywhere round here). Both arrived really quickly, no problems with customs.

my lens' across-the-world passage so far!
still amazes me the way we can move things around the world these days (y)

edit - update:
package seemingly sailed through Stansted... was there for 90mins before being released, and delivery was attempted today.
so as long as there's no HMRC mail on the next few days, the OSD service has been awesome: lens ordered on Sunday evening, delivered Wednesday morning. wow!

update #2:
still no HMRC paperwork in the post... fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Just bought another lens from them as I was so impressed with the service they gave when I bougt my sigma
I bought the Canon 100mm is macro I got it in 5 days:):)
Pete

my lens' across-the-world passage so far!
still amazes me the way we can move things around the world these days (y)

edit - update:
package seemingly sailed through Stansted... was there for 90mins before being released, and delivery was attempted today.
so as long as there's no HMRC mail on the next few days, the OSD service has been awesome: lens ordered on Sunday evening, delivered Wednesday morning. wow!

update #2:
still no HMRC paperwork in the post... fingers crossed!

Stansted seems a bit of a hit or a miss. I have had packages go through in a couple of hours and other times up to 3 days.

Another (y) for Onestop Digital - ordered a lens on Wednesday afternoon, in my hands on Friday afternoon. Better than many UK based dealers.

Stephen

Placed an order 10pm on Sunday evening with FedEx delivery, arrived this morning 10am! :clap: (y)

Was looking at purchasing a lens and some filters from these and with this sort of recommendation I think I may take the leap.

Never ordered from one of the HK based businesses before but think this may be worthwhile.

Was looking at purchasing a lens and some filters from these and with this sort of recommendation I think I may take the leap.

Never ordered from one of the HK based businesses before but think this may be worthwhile.

Goods to the value of £320 and above go Fedex at no extra cost.
Below that figure I reckon it is worth paying the £10 extra for Fedex. They are faster than HK post.
OSD are a very slick outfit and fast to respond to email and despatch goods.

I think with the reports from here I will seriously consider them for my next purchases. It`s great to hear about a supplier who takes customer service so seriously. (y)

ordered Sunday night, delivered today, not the first time either :)

Goods to the value of £320 and above go Fedex at no extra cost.Below that figure I reckon it is worth paying the £10 extra for Fedex. They are faster than HK post.
OSD are a very slick outfit and fast to respond to email and despatch goods.

Only per single item, if you order two items one of £400 and one of £80 only the £400 one will qualify for free FedEx upgrade the cheaper item will only be upgraded if you pay for it, if not it is sent seperately by snail mail.

I'm glad i saw this thread as i was going to post the exact same question, i'm after a Sigma 120-400 soon and onestop digital seem to be the cheapest. read some good reviews here, nice one.

Always been superb service and prices. Do check with whatever manufacturer in your country that they will honour manufacturers warranty for goods purchased from abroad.

Sigma (UK) for example will not honour the Sigma warranty unless supplied via Sigma (UK) to UK retailers as they are deemed as 'grey imports'.

Always check first.

Up until now everything I have bought from OSD (Fedex) has been routed Hong Kong - Paris - Stansted - Glasgow.

I ordered a filter on Monday and the Fedex tracker shows HK - Almaty KT (Kazakhstan) - Guangzhou CN (China) -

Anyone else had goods go that route?

Just ordered a Sigma 10-20mm from them today so looking forward to a slick service hopefully. Emailed them at around 6am-ish (GMT) this morning with a query and responded within 20 minutes so it's got to be a good start!!!

My order above arrived at the Fedex depot in Paisley at 0800 this morning so should be delivered by noon.

Back