weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Nice shot for 'nature' Phil - although jumping back to old pictures you've taken defeats the object of the challenge.. lol

Echo the other comments Phil... You're only cheating yourself! :naughty: ;)

Having said that.... Nice frog, good BG and placement in the frame.

Hi, That is a nice frog pic, would be perfect but...........as above, you slacker :ROFLMAO::p

Hi Phil

Step: No 3 for me too. The subject is just that much more interesting. The lead in lines of the giant steps work really well and the water, for me, is perfectly exposed. Like the cloudy sky too!

Nature: His a cute fellow. Nothing to fault on this for me. Nice and sharp where is counts- the eye (and I can almost make out your reflection in his eye :)). I really like the creamy soft background and glistening skin too. I am not in a position to comment on using an old photo....lol :D

Last edited:
Clear, relevant and impeccably focused.

Lovely image. The composition is nice with the frog looking to the right and open space. The lighting and complimentary background make this is super shot. Well done.

Cheers Simon

Thanks Mandy, its a Honda VT750DC-2 US import :)

Cheers Andy

Cheers Craig. I've been riding motorcycles since the age of 8 years old, used and fitted correctly, (note used) I've never had or seen one fail. Ok we've all heard the great debate over split or rivet link, but on this particular bike, a split link is perfectly acceptable ;)

Without getting into too deep a discussion ( that's not what I'm here for) I would be interested in what proof you have that split links are 'very prone to failing'? :)

I believe it came with the instruction's when I bought a new chain they came with both fittings but advised on only using the split link as a short term fitting, I did a lot of research as I not have a rivert tool at the time and most places said the same but I admit this could just be "hearsay"

Love the frog. Nice pose, good background; sharp. Just the ticket

Sharp and on topic... watch out though... DK will be along chastising about old pics etc... ;)

Nice shot for 'nature' Phil - although jumping back to old pictures you've taken defeats the object of the challenge.. lol

Echo the other comments Phil... You're only cheating yourself! :naughty: ;)

Having said that.... Nice frog, good BG and placement in the frame.

Hi Phil,
Nature... Lovely photo, can't fault it, well composed, like the dof :clap::clap:

Hi, That is a nice frog pic, would be perfect but...........as above, you slacker :ROFLMAO::p

Lovely frog shot even if it is a bit if a cop out :p Certainly fits the theme nice one.

Hi Phil

Step: No 3 for me too. The subject is just that much more interesting. The lead in lines of the giant steps work really well and the water, for me, is perfectly exposed. Like the cloudy sky too!

Nature: His a cute fellow. Nothing to fault on this for me. Nice and sharp where is counts- the eye (and I can almost make out your reflection in his eye :)). I really like the creamy soft background and glistening skin too. I am not in a position to comment on using an old photo....lol :D

Hi,
I havent seen any frogs in our pond yet so I'm jealous that you've got this shot. It's lovely and sharp and good use of dof to throw the background out!:)

Hi,
I havent seen any frogs in our pond yet so I'm jealous that you've got this shot. It's lovely and sharp and good use of dof to throw the background out!:)

nice image and the oof background real helps too

Clear, relevant and impeccably focused.

Lovely image. The composition is nice with the frog looking to the right and open space. The lighting and complimentary background make this is super shot. Well done.

Super sharp shot well done.

Nature - composition is good, DOF works well like the detail and fact the eye draws your attention

Craig
Thanks you for all the comments :)
Sorry for the mass quotes, just had 4 days in Scotland with no internet access .......its done mi head in
banghead.gif
.......and its done nowt but rain
shakinghead.gif

I'm really behind now with comments on every one else's '52 ........but I'll try hard to catch up this week :)

Thanks again

Action! .........:thinking:........
shakinghead.gif
..........:D

Ok........so the old pic was a cheat :p :naughty:

Took this last Thursday with the theme 'nature' in mind. Its the fall pipes at the Sloy Hydroelectric Power Station next to Loch Lomond . The image doesn't do them justice tbh, its an impressive sight with the pipes being 6ft in diameter and laid at a very step angle.

No comments necessary on this one, its hard enough keeping up with everyone's '52, without me adding a second image a week late :D Its really just for my benefit as I was and still am, determined to do a new pic every week for each theme :)

The Power Of Nature

Sloy Hydropower Station
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Two shots for 'Action' off me this week. Tuesday evenings is clay shooting night now the days are longer. I set out to try capture a clay being hit.

On the way over Buckstones they were paragliding? :thinking:......anyway, I managed to get this, leaned out of mi mates car window. Tbh I wasn't expecting this chap to be so close to the road so it was a quick struggle to get the camera out of the bag, get the settings, then have to take the image looking back. Wish I could have got him coming towards us but I just wasn't quick enough :banghead:

In the 2nd I think I achieved what I was looking for, took a few attempts, but you can just see the clay 'rabbit' pieces flying around after it had been hit. Both images needed a bit of a tweak in ACR. One thing I didn't realise until I got home, ISO was set to 800 so both images were a little noisy
shakinghead.gif

Honest crit on both images welcome :)

Action 1

TP 52 Action 1
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Action 2

TP 52 Action 2
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
#1 is awesome!! Really suits the theme well. Love the reflection of the little one in the window of the truck... I think the fact that you're so close to them makes it even more fitting.

#2 not doing anything for me unfortunately.

#1 is awesome!! Really suits the theme well. Love the reflection of the little one in the window of the truck... I think the fact that you're so close to them makes it even more fitting.

#2 not doing anything for me unfortunately.

Thanks David .......... I've just realised, I meant to straighten the first one up a little but forgot :banghead:
shakinghead.gif

Straightened version ..........at least you can still see the reflection :D

TP 52 Action 2
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Action #1 gets my vote Phil (y)
The pov shooting from the truck window makes it even more dynamic, in my minds eye, I imagined that para glider landing on the back like something out of an action movie :D

No crit to add, sorry, I feel it is bang on!

I know the area well, I went there on a school trip many years ago. Really nice area, good take for the theme and I like the pov as well.

Thanks Mandy, sorry, I don't know how but I missed your post yesterday :oops: :$ :)

Action #1 gets my vote Phil (y)
The pov shooting from the truck window makes it even more dynamic, in my minds eye, I imagined that para glider landing on the back like something out of an action movie :D

No crit to add, sorry, I feel it is bang on!

Cheers Iain..........now that would have been an action shot! :D

Last edited:
Hi, have to agree the hang glider pic for me too looks quite spectacular disappearing off the edge of the road.
The clay pigeon shot looks like he is just shooting at the floor

You'd probably have gotten away with the clay "rabbit" shot Phil..... if you hadn't've posted it immediately after the stunning paraglider one! :)

It's great, the moving vehicle POV, the sky, the action are all great... Agree ISO may be a tad higher than ideal, but 800 should be more than usable nowadays! And I say well done for being comfortable enough that you can just grab the camera, hang out a window and still get the shot.. even in Manual mode. :eek:

Hi, have to agree the hang glider pic for me too looks quite spectacular disappearing off the edge of the road.
The clay pigeon shot looks like he is just shooting at the floor

Thanks Allan......you are right about the 2nd image, I was hoping for a little more detail in the breaking clay. I tried a few of the higher clays but they just looked lost in the sky.

You'd probably have gotten away with the clay "rabbit" shot Phil..... if you hadn't've posted it immediately after the stunning paraglider one! :)

It's great, the moving vehicle POV, the sky, the action are all great... Agree ISO may be a tad higher than ideal, but 800 should be more than usable nowadays! And I say well done for being comfortable enough that you can just grab the camera, hang out a window and still get the shot.. even in Manual mode. :eek:

Thanks Graham, its funny you should say that, I nearly didn't post it with getting the para-glider :D I just had the idea in my head and (as mentioned above) I was hoping to get a little more detail in the breaking clay :thinking: I sometimes go practising with mi missus, think next time I'll tek mi camera and have another go. I'll certainly have more time to look at composition and hopefully a better pov

another vote for the first one Phill. It doesn't look like a grab shot at all. It looks like the glider is looking right at you and heading in your direction. The wall acts as a nice lead in line to the glider too. well done (y)

Hi Phil

Nature...the Frog shot is a belter , perfect focus,nicely placed and great DOF....

The 2nd Nature image....really like the POVV on this shot,really draws you down the pipes..(y)

Action.....paragliders shot for me.....for all the reasons already mentioned...I've been mega slow with comments this last week or 2 ! Don't know where BUckstones is but it looks loads like te Cat & Fiddle road !

Great shot for 'Action' Phil - the straightened version definately gets my (y)

Cheers Marcus

another vote for the first one Phill. It doesn't look like a grab shot at all. It looks like the glider is looking right at you and heading in your direction. The wall acts as a nice lead in line to the glider too. well done (y)

Cheers Adam

Hi Phil,
the first one for me too beautiful sight well caught, sounds as tho' there was a bit of fast action in the car too (y)

Thanks Judi ......errrrr
eusa_naughty.gif
.........:naughty:.........:D

Nice paraglider in the action shot, agree with everything everyone else has said (y)

Cheers Mark

Hi Phil

Nature...the Frog shot is a belter, perfect focus,nicely placed and great DOF....

The 2nd Nature image....really like the POVV on this shot,really draws you down the pipes..(y)

Action.....paragliders shot for me.....for all the reasons already mentioned...I've been mega slow with comments this last week or 2 ! Don't know where BUckstones is but it looks loads like te Cat & Fiddle road !

:wave: Lynne, thanks, Buckstones is the highest point on the A640 between Outlane and Denshaw, its where the B6114 meets it at the 'T' junction, but I know what you mean about looking like the Cat & Fiddle :)

Cheers Craig

Well its not until this morning I knew that standing stones were called a monolith, (thanks to mi missus, Lynn :D) so a quick google found this one, fairly local, near Todmorden.

I was hoping for a good sunset, but it wasn't going to happen :( so plan 'B' was to convert it to monochrome :D

Its quite impressive really, standing approx. 12ft tall. Apparently there's 4 fairly close together (found another 2 but not as tall as this one) I've got no idea what the purpose was/is for them and can't seem to find out
th_shrug.gif

Honest crit welcome for.....

Monochrome Monolith :D.......Edit -Sepia version added below :)

monochrome monolith
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Monolith in sepia
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hello again Phil

2 visits to your thread in 2 days.......

Mono monolith......just about on theme I reckon ;)

Difficult one to crit on for composition....like the wall leading in from the corner , monolith on the 3rd's I think ,smidge of interest in the sky...so thats all good (y)
Looks a little flat n grey though ( probably the weather ) would it be possible to pull a little more out of the darkest area of the stone....dodging or burning ( neer sure which one it should be ) ?

The monolith seems to stop the wall and then it continues leading into the frame, it's a little strange.

It looks a bit on the dark and gloomy side with a bit of interest in the sky and the dark lines on the monolith itself. Overall I think it works well :clap:

Hi Phil, odd one this for me. It should work, you've done everything right compositionally with the lead in of the wall from the bottom left and the positioning on a third. Technically, the exposure and dof are correct and it's an interesting subject.., and a good conversion to b&w

But I'm finding it lacking something, I'm thinking a more dramatic sky is what it needs. Big fluffy clouds maybe?

Back