weekly Philthejuggler's 2015_52 - Week 3 - Scenic

Hi, two good shots to start with pattern is a really good abstract very nice PP too
Bliss nice bit of kit and looks very sleek in your image, is there a reason why you didn't go for a straight on shot ?
either way you have handled the lighting well and the green really does stand out

Week 2 - Fragile

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, f/2 @ 135 mm, ISO 400, No Flash

p611628413-6.jpg

Week 2 - Fragile - Comments

Sorry for the delay in uploading this week's shot. Took a load of shots of a roof falling apart and then wasn't at all happy with the results.

So....instead, "Life is Fragile" as depicted by this heart-breaking grave of a baby, complete with cuddly toy.

Three shot HDR in Efex followed by gradient filter in LR to adjust saturation, clarity and contrast.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

This is what I was going to do when I saw the theme but my wife thought it was a bad idea, especially the grave of a young child. I didn't necessarily agree and I still don't so I'm glad someone has done this as life is indeed, truly fragile.

Critically though, my eye is drawn more to the out-of-focus gravestone on the left, with the flowers in front of it also quite intrusive. Perhaps moving the POV so that the little cross was superimposed or at least nearer to the big gravestone might have brought it more to the viewers attention because as it is, my eye just keeps getting drawn to the flowers.

Nice shot Phil - like how you have taken it with the focus on the little cross

This is what I was going to do when I saw the theme but my wife thought it was a bad idea, especially the grave of a young child. I didn't necessarily agree and I still don't so I'm glad someone has done this as life is indeed, truly fragile.

Critically though, my eye is drawn more to the out-of-focus gravestone on the left, with the flowers in front of it also quite intrusive. Perhaps moving the POV so that the little cross was superimposed or at least nearer to the big gravestone might have brought it more to the viewers attention because as it is, my eye just keeps getting drawn to the flowers.

Many thanks - I know what you mean and was not 100% happy with the final effort - I drained the colour from the right which was supposed to be symbolic of a fragile life drained away. The idea was the sharper focus and contrast on the right hand side would still draw the eye.

Hi Phil, it is a very poignant image. I do agree with Martin though, my eye is drawn to the splash of colour from the oof flowers to the left

Life is indeed fragile, Phil.
I love the DoF and actually the OoF splash of colour adds a little something IMO.

Hi, I really like that including the bright colour adds a little bit of I suppose hope to the image, well done for getting down low

Fragile, I like how the grave, flowers and grass near the lower right appear desaturated. Nice low angle, good focus and buttery bokeh.

As said, a very powerful and thoughtful submission.

Cheers.

Thank you so much for all the feedback- will return the favour over the next few days.

It's the depth of field that caught my eye with this one Phil. Good choice considering the subject. The low POV also draws the viewer into the shot. I like it. Nice work.

A poignant submission which I think works well for the theme. I like the desaturation you've applied although I feel the left hand side could also have worked with the same treatment. Good use of a shallow DoF as well.

Week 3 - Scenic

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, f/4 @ 47 mm, 1/10, ISO 800, No Flash

p217720583-6.jpg

Week 3 - Scenic - Comments

Well, I'm at a show in Excel, Docklands all this week so had to go with a night scene!

Very nice Phil, I love these low light / night shots (y)

Wooooo ... very nice, you've caught the Docklands towers and the Dome across the water ... some lovely reflection too. (y)

Scenic - a super image really like this, no crit from me.

Many thanks!

Very nice Phil, I love these low light / night shots (y)

Thank you - my hours this week meant there was no choice, but glad you like it!

Wooooo ... very nice, you've caught the Docklands towers and the Dome across the water ... some lovely reflection too. (y)

Yes - the bridge was a great place to shoot from, but shots from the top of the bridge emphasized the shadows less, so I preferred a lower viewpoint.

that's a belter of a shot - love it

:)

This looks a great location and definitely scenic. I do feel that the overall image is too dark though (sorry). Maybe one of those that would have benefited from a touch of light in the sky - easier said than done as that's always down to being there at the right time and also weather conditions.

Hi Phil

That's definitely on theme but also agree capturing just a bit more light would perhaps help? Worst case you could do an exposure blend of two shots: yours for the highlights plus a longer exposure (maybe up to 1s?) and use luminosity masks to blend the two. All a bit "fake" to the purists but would give a very punchy shot IMO...

Back