PhiltheJuggler's 52! - The '52 - Part 1 - weeks 1-27

now there's one fisherman completely absorbed in what he's doing and unaware of everything else around him..... :LOL:

That works very nicely for isolation Phil, good bit of PP and a well framed image. I'm thinking upper left would have been better, but as you say, not an option.

Nice one, Phil. Fits the theme really well. I cannot make up my mind about the top right or top left. The boat is pointing into the shot but he is facing outwards. That's all academic anyway since left was not possible.

I tend to agree with Dade that it may have had more impact if the boat was smaller, making him even more isolated.

This is just nit-picking, though. I like it as it is.

Jenny

Really like what you've done with that, Phil. Good work. The tone adds to the feeling of isolation.

I didn't realise you were near Pitsford. We're in Northampton several times a year - should hook up some time, mate.

I tend to agree with Dade that it may have had more impact if the boat was smaller, making him even more isolated.
Jenny

I was thinking this a little too......It is so hard to get this right though as if the boat was too small we wouldn't like that either :LOL: I really like this image though and love the tones. (y)

Wow! Thank you all for taking the time to comment - I've been away this week and returned to read all the feedback!

It's interesting how you all feel different aspects of the shot could be improved and other aspects you like as is - I'm still not sure whether him looking out of the frame improves the shot or not!

Really like what you've done with that, Phil. Good work. The tone adds to the feeling of isolation.

I didn't realise you were near Pitsford. We're in Northampton several times a year - should hook up some time, mate.

Haha only just saw this......I used to live in Chapel Brampton!

We definitely need a Northampton meet!

Phil

Week 22 - Quality

“The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” Vince Lombardi

Larger version here

p886628652-4.jpg

I was at Eurodisney this week when I read the theme for the week. As soon as I saw this biker perform I instantly thought 'quality' but I felt it needed some explanation to tie in what I meant by quality with the title. I guess a shot of a diamond ring wouldn't need such comment, but that response to the theme felt too obvious.

It is clear that this biker was dedicated to giving the optimum quality in his performance and his control over his bike. I think the Vince Lombardi quote articulates why for me this guy displays quality in abundance.

I went for a montage of several shots as I felt a single shot did not adequately express his total control.

The shots were all taken with 1DMkIII, 135L + 1.4x II Ext @ f4, ISO 400. Shutter speeds vary.

After juggling the shots in Elements I selectively de-saturated the orange in the shot to remove distracting colour from the stonework, then lifted the red a little and upped the blacks and contrast.

I hope you like it,

Thanks for looking

Phil

I like it Phil, I agree, having seen the show they put in, there's a lot of quality control etc going on there. I hope you enjoyed your trip

Cleverly done and crisp sharp pics and yep you know your way around photoshop, but as an Image, sorry but not really for me. Reminds me of a souvenier programme or brouchure / postcard.

I like it Phil, I agree, having seen the show they put in, there's a lot of quality control etc going on there. I hope you enjoyed your trip

Many thanks - and yes we had a great time thanks!

Cleverly done and crisp sharp pics and yep you know your way around photoshop, but as an Image, sorry but not really for me. Reminds me of a souvenier programme or brouchure / postcard.

Thanks for your comment - it's made me think a little more about this shot - I don't think I'd have it on my wall, but this '52 is encouraging me to try different things & I've tried to get different styles of pictures into the themes - I'm glad you could see it as a programme shot - I feel like I have created something that is of quality, if not oozing mass appeal!

I love it, Phil. Quality shot of a quality rider. You are right that a single shot would not have shown how clever the guy was. I also like the processing. You make it sound so easy.

Well done.

Jenny

Many thanks for your kind comments Jenny - the processing really was easy - the more I play with lightroom & elements the more I realise you can get some pretty good results in relatively little time.

Phil

Last edited:
Great job Phil, the images work perfectly together and as you said it speaks quality more than a single image. I like the idea of the selective de saturation it really brings out the subject without going to far like with a full de saturated backdrop.

Wow, Phil I love this! I read the quotation first and had no idea what to expect, but this fits the bill perfectly.

You've captured action, skill and variety all in one image and the selective colour treatment is great (I'm not usually a fan, but this is Quality!)

Definitely a quality image, well executed. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Great job Phil, the images work perfectly together and as you said it speaks quality more than a single image. I like the idea of the selective de saturation it really brings out the subject without going to far like with a full de saturated backdrop.

Many thanks - I'm so glad I discovered the target desaturation tool in lightroom!

Wow, Phil I love this! I read the quotation first and had no idea what to expect, but this fits the bill perfectly.

You've captured action, skill and variety all in one image and the selective colour treatment is great (I'm not usually a fan, but this is Quality!)

Definitely a quality image, well executed. :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Many thanks, Jean - I'm delighted you like it & thanks for explaining why in detail!

A good take on this weeks theme Phil. I agree this type of display riding does not come without lots & lots of practice as to allow the rider to give a quality performance. The bike and rider stand out well from the BG.

Allan

Thanks Allan - the walls behind the rider were quite orangey and I needed to something to remove the distraction - they clashed with his red outfit.

Phil

Week 23 - Post

Larger version here

p837548039-4.jpg

This week I fancied a landscape shot. I saw this scene is Hyde park last night. I underexposed the background slightly to saturate the colours, but illuminated the post using flash with no EC.

1DS MkII, 70-200 2.8 L II @ 70mm, f/2.8, 1/400, ISO 400 (-1/3 EC), 580EXII.

Slight blue saturation adjustments made in Lightroom.

I thought it was simple, but appealing. Hope you like it!

Phil

Phil I do like that, the Ring and sign is popping out at me, I like it, Unsure if the ring could be a little brighter or its just my work screen.

No i have decided I like it how it is. I just don't have any thing like that round here, due to the main location i live near.

Phil I do like that, the Ring and sign is popping out at me, I like it, Unsure if the ring could be a little brighter or its just my work screen.

No i have decided I like it how it is. I just don't have any thing like that round here, due to the main location i live near.

Kiss, Keep it simple stupid.. Works every time and here it has worked quite well too. The image tells a story. The words on the plate are posted in clear view teling of the danger of bathing. So yes it fits quite nicely in with this weeks theme.

Allan

Thanks both - I was going for the 'simple, but hopefully effective' take on this week's theme. I've looked at the ring & played with brightening it, but I eventually decided I would leave it be.

Phil

I'm not sure about it, Phil. I think that my issue is the background is underexposed as you might for a portrait, but there isn't enough light on the post to make it pop enough. I don't like the light reflecting off the bands on the ring either.

I am another who likes your image Phil. It is a simple image but the colours, composition and processing certainly work. Can't say any more than (y) from me Phil. Iain

I'm not sure about it, Phil. I think that my issue is the background is underexposed as you might for a portrait, but there isn't enough light on the post to make it pop enough. I don't like the light reflecting off the bands on the ring either.

Thanks for your comments Dean. I think the shot pops better when viewed larger. I did try lightening the ring / post but in the end jumped for the slightly more subtle effect of the slightly subdued, but rich, colours. I think both interpretations work.

Nice image Phil.....really simple but very effective.

Thank you - glad you like it!

I like the idea - for me (and it's probably just my taste) I'd have preferred to see it a bit brighter so it just popped a little more. Overall though - nice :)

Thank you! See comment above re popping / lightness! Might have to have another play with it to settle my own mind!

I am another who likes your image Phil. It is a simple image but the colours, composition and processing certainly work. Can't say any more than (y) from me Phil. Iain

Smashing - many thanks!

I do like this picture and I like its simplicity. I think I would like it better brighter.

Hmm - another person suggesting brighter - will definitely have another look at this shot!

I like this one too, Phil. I disagree with Dean (sorry Dean) about the light reflecting off the bands on the ring. I think they make the photo. They jump out at you.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny!

I like this, it has a real 3D feel to it, very in-keeping with current trends, cracking ;)

Thank you - comment much appreciated!

Phil

trying to catch up..

ingredients is fab.. wonderful focus on them and works well as a triptych.. as for that set up.. wouldn't have a clue where to start ;)

thought provoking and strong image for 'stop' gives a real feel of her being vunerable and isolated.. fab focus and DOF.. didnt notice her toes!

isolation is bang on theme.. like the processing on this.. he was certainly absorbed in his own little world there

again, great processing on 'quality' really makes the rider stand out in all the shots.. not really into bikes and cars and stuff.. but can see he certainly is very good at what he does!

I love the simplicity of your post shot.. like the reflective bands on the ring and dont mind it as it is but might be interesting to see it a tad lighter though to compare?

I really like it Phil, I'm glad you explained how you did it, I was close, but not quite close enough. I think it's worked well.

Quality is fanatastic - I love the collage and the selective colouring which works really ell here.

Post - there is a lovely serene feel to this. Your flash has been very subtle, with no give-away shadows. Great stuff.

Indulgence...Looks great on black but the oof cable is just a little distracting.

Ingredients...Three geat shots with fantastic details that makes a very good triptych. Cool macro set up as well.

Stop...Well done for creating a very powerful image!

Isolation...That shot fits the theme to a T, perfect composition with the boat top right.

Quality...the use of selective colouring can be looked down upon by many but the red in these shots is perfect for it as it isolates the rider more showing his skills.

Post... Nice idea but as said before the reflective strips makes it hard to have the ring any brighter.

(y)

trying to catch up..

ingredients is fab.. wonderful focus on them and works well as a triptych.. as for that set up.. wouldn't have a clue where to start ;)

thought provoking and strong image for 'stop' gives a real feel of her being vunerable and isolated.. fab focus and DOF.. didnt notice her toes!

isolation is bang on theme.. like the processing on this.. he was certainly absorbed in his own little world there

again, great processing on 'quality' really makes the rider stand out in all the shots.. not really into bikes and cars and stuff.. but can see he certainly is very good at what he does!

I love the simplicity of your post shot.. like the reflective bands on the ring and dont mind it as it is but might be interesting to see it a tad lighter though to compare?

Many thanks for all your comments - lightening the ring will probably blow the reflectors as others have mentioned. I guess I could selectively lighten it - may have a play at some point!

I'm with Jenny on the rings - they really help lift the lifebuoy from the rest of the scene. You've also put thought into a simple image to give something extra. (y)

Jean

Thanks Jean!

I really like it Phil, I'm glad you explained how you did it, I was close, but not quite close enough. I think it's worked well.

I'm delighted you like it, John!

Quality is fanatastic - I love the collage and the selective colouring which works really ell here.

Post - there is a lovely serene feel to this. Your flash has been very subtle, with no give-away shadows. Great stuff.

Many thanks for commenting!

Indulgence...Looks great on black but the oof cable is just a little distracting.

Ingredients...Three geat shots with fantastic details that makes a very good triptych. Cool macro set up as well.

Stop...Well done for creating a very powerful image!

Isolation...That shot fits the theme to a T, perfect composition with the boat top right.

Quality...the use of selective colouring can be looked down upon by many but the red in these shots is perfect for it as it isolates the rider more showing his skills.

Post... Nice idea but as said before the reflective strips makes it hard to have the ring any brighter.

(y)

Many thanks for all the feedback and for catching up!

Phil

Back