Phone upgrade time

I've just gone from an htc desire to an iphone4, I got fed up with the internal memory on the htc filling up all the time, I had to keep deleting certain things. So far the iPhones been great and I don't think I'd be without it now

There is an app which is preinstalled on the s2 and incredibly handy, Kies Air, it allows to connect to you computer through your wifi connection and you can view the stuff on your phone, and also you can upload from your pc and download straight to your pc, I would imagine other phones to have something like this, esp the iphone. So just another bit of info for you to digest. It also plays windows media player slide shows very nicely too.

Heya whatever phone you choice when you're looking at deals try looking at a company called giffgaff, there a bit cheaper and if you buy the phone from somewhere else you would have the advantage of no tie-ins
O and if you go for it ill be happy to order you a sim because then i would get some free credit :p

Jack

Ive been using a Desire S for a few months now - Would have happily gone down the IP4 route except for the cost.... been very happy with the HTC, ok the battery life aint great but whenever im at my desk or in the car it gets a charge, so its not really a problem.
Agree though about the apps - some good ones out there but the Android market seems to have a lot of buggy garbage

Thank you to all thats replied and helped!

I've been watching a few reviews online and played with a few friends phones this weekend so I think I'm going to go for a Samsung Galaxy S2.

It's just getting a decent deal on one now! I called vodafone this morning to see if I could get something decent, but was told I could only upgrade online or in store... not by phone :thinking:

Ok.... noticed that carphonewarehouse and phones4u both do this phone for free for what I'm willing to pay a month, but vodafone want £99-199 for the phone :wacky:

I posted on the eforum and now waiting for a call back or I have to wait until the 20th to upgrade through a 3rd party! :puke:

Vodafone can be very awkward! I had issues when wanting to upgrade mine, and after many phone calls and complaining about some of there staff not doing there jobs properly which meant I was left with a useless phone, I was told by vodafone I could upgrade early, I asked them for a deal on the s2 and wanted to charge me £75 for the phone and that was at £40 per month, so I went in on the off chance to carphone warehouse, my account had been opened and I got my upgrade through them 3 months early, free s2 and £35 p/m. So it may well be worth checking at carphone.

Yea its pretty much what I said over on the vodafone forum, they have online advisors and they sent me an email asking a few of my details and what I wanted and now waiting for a call back to discuss what they can do. It's just when I called earlier why couldn't they speak to me then rather than me having to post on a forum and then now wait for a call back?

CPW do it for free with a £31/month contract so will see if vodafone will beat or match it. If not I will just wait until the 20th and go through CPW.

I got the LG Optimus black - the thinest touch screen phone going - bit like an Iphone but with Android... Althou my post is a bit late as it seems that you have already got yourself sorted :confused:

You can get a much better phone than the '4' for either the same price or cheaper!! don't follow the crowd!

re. vodaphone - check out the deals on the talkmobile network (which uses the vodaphone network) then phone vodaphone up and tell them what they are offering... usually they will match or better the deal

Just spoken to one of the web relations team and they have beaten the deal I was looking at on carphone warehouse so quite happy with what I have.

Phone should be here tomorrow! :D

Quite happy with the web team. Had to wait a while for them to call back but they asked me what I wanted and gave me a few options and we managed to come to an agreement I was happy with.

I've seen a few people complaining about the Galaxy S2 being out of stock when ordered on the web, so happy to see i'll be getting mine tomorrow! (Just got a text confirming despatch with tracking number) :D

Just spoken to one of the web relations team and they have beaten the deal I was looking at on carphone warehouse so quite happy with what I have.

Phone should be here tomorrow! :D

Sounds good; it's a phone I'd like to have a play with sometime. Will have to wait till they are being given away with a box of cornflakes I suppose :LOL::LOL:

Just got the phone today.

Been having a play with it for the last hour, trying to get a hang of it! :LOL:

Just got the phone today.

Been having a play with it for the last hour, trying to get a hang of it! :LOL:

Be sure to post back when you've had it a month or so - it took me a while to get into my iPhone.

Sure will Kevin!

Hope it stays this fast in the next few months, will let you all know! :)

My wife and I both have the Galaxy S2, we love it, can't fault it best phone ever.

Set the camera to full HD and the video recording out performs our hd camcorder,

We have a 2 year old computer that cant handle the phones videos, crazy that a mobile phone is more powerful than some PC's

1.2ghz dual core processor in a phone. Mad :)

Its a cracking phone!

Took delivery of mine on monday, an upgrade from a 3 year old G1 phone, the first android.

Got to love swype, my apple mad mate is uber jealous.

Not to decide whether I start playing around with the actual software or just leave it as standard!

Loving it so far!

Harvey, sorry for the dumb question, whats swype and how do you use it? :thinking: :LOL:

Loving it so far!

Harvey, sorry for the dumb question, whats swype and how do you use it? :thinking: :LOL:

can't remember if you need to set it up, however, open a new text message and press and hold in the input area (where it says "TAP TO ENTER MESSAGE")

you'll now get a pop up, tap on "input method" and you should have a choice of samsung keypad or swype. tap on swype.

now, once again tap on the input area and the keyboard should show. In the bottom left is a blue line with a hand. tap that key once and run the tutorial for swype.

Basically, swype allows you to run your finger over the keyboard and the phone chooses the word from your input. Saves pressing individual keys :D

Thanks Harvey!

Just given it a go, switched back as I'm not really a massive fan. Just guess I've got too used to typing on a keyboard. It is a cool feature though, if you can get the hang of it.

Depends what you are typing, texts and emails I do with swype (or voice if I am feeling patient).

If its random notes of things that I know won't be covered, then I use the normal keyboard! :)

Instead of being lured into a long-term contract by the latest Shiny Gizmo4(tm), has anyone here chosen to buy their own phone/keep their old phone instead, and use a month-to-month service such as GiggGaff?

Last edited:
Instead of being lured into a long-term contract by the latest Shiny Gizmo4(tm), has anyone here chosen to buy their own phone/keep their old phone instead, and use a month-to-month service such as GiggGaff?

Yes, me. I've been with GiffGaff since May last year, initially with my prehistoric T-Mobile MDA Vario Windows Mobile Smartphone. In September last year I bought an Orange San Francisco PAYG phone for £80, unlocked it immediately and have been using it ever since. That's the exact reason, and probably only reason, that I am not swayed to spend vast sums on a Galaxy S2 contract purchase. With GiffGaff I have earned more in referrals than I have spent on credit, so much in fact that I have also paid for the phone. So my net annual cost for a new phone and airtime, data etc. is effectively £0.

Would I like a Galaxy S2? Absolutely. Would I like to pay for one? No thanks. :)

mine is 27 on 18month contrac which is £486 and that gets me 500 cnm and 500mb downloads and unlimited texts.
so even if i brought the phone outright it would be £475 from play(so worth going on contract)

[smug mode]

My Galaxy S2 cost me £10 on a £17.50 / 18 month contract. Unlimited data + £180 call/text allowance each month :)

[/smug mode]

Having resisted the lure of the latest and greatest models, I'm in the process of leaving Tmobile and switching to Giffgaff.

I'm keeping my old phone (Tmobile G1) which I have already requested to be unlocked. Just need the PAC code to keep my current number and it's goodbye contract.

Strangely, it feels very liberating indeed.

Last edited:
I dont mind contracts, I have very little out goings. My old phone was pants so I wouldn't have kept that either.

Oh and Brian, I don't like you go away... :LOL:

I'm on a sim only plan with vodafone and always just buy phones sim free from amazon, that way i get the new phone i want and sell the old for a decent sum, got £150 for my xperia x10.

Im on a good "threaten to leave" plan, 400mins 3000texts 500mb net £9 pm

Back