weekly Raptor Mike's TP52 challange 2015 - CATCH UP!! Weeks 14, 15, 16 & 17 added

Really like the edit shot and the idea. :clap:
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Welcome to 2015 52s! My preference is for the first shot. The second one obviously shows the pattern more uniformly, but I prefer the dof in the first one. With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.

Week 1 -Bliss

So there are many things that I would consider bliss like spending time with my family, riding my motorbike, photography, a really good training session at judo. But I went for having a beer and maltesers while watching a film with my wife on the weekend once the kids are in bed.

I found this hard to photograph but I used two 430EXIIs, one on an umbrella just to the left pointing down and one handheld with a diffuser fired at the sofa with my hand preventing its light hitting the table. Edited using ACR and PSE9.
Now I must go and drink said beer before it gets too warm :D

Week 1 - Bliss
by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Beer and chocolate? OK.................... :D

Nicely positioned and executed Mike (y)

Although to be brutally honest, I may have shot that from a slightly
different angle to exclude the tree, it does draw my eye a little.

Hey Mike, nice concept and one which may be copied by others before the week is through. I can see the challenge that you had to contend with but you have pulled it off. If I was being very petty, I might have preferred to see more of the settee in light. On my monitor, the cushion appears to be floating just above the table.

Bliss - well that certainly sounds like a blissful idea to me, the image is well thought out and put together, I think my only little niggle is the bit of the Christmas tree in the top right hand of the image, I'd be tempted to clone that out as I find my eye wandering to it. But a other than that a good image that fits into the theme nicely.

I must confess I did think about the Xmas tree. There is a chair to the right of where the camera was positioned so I couldn't really shoot further from the right. I suppose I could've done a tighter crop buy moving the table closer to the sofa. Also its week one and still Christmas time, just, so I left it in. :)

Hey Mike..... Nicely laid out shot and the maltesers bag seems to pop out of the picture- making me hungry now! Definitely says chillaxing to me [emoji122]

Think the tree adds to the cosy relaxed feel but the sofa could do with a little more light possibly

I didn't want the sofa too bright because its in the evening under rubbish bulb light, which is ideal for watching films ;) However, I think I'll re-calibratemy monitor beccause it looked a little brighter on that than my tablet, and the brightness its right up on that. Along with comments also say its too dark. Either that or everyone else needs to calibrate theirs lol

Thanks for your feedback folks (y)

Last edited:
Substitue wine for beer and I'm right there ... nice idea, well done.

Nice idea was one of my first thoughts. maybe shot from the other perspective sat on sofa feet on table tv in background?

Hi, nice lighting, especially on the glass. It's on theme, but just lacks something, looks a little contrived. I'd like bag open and a few on the table, and the tree removed. Might have been an opportunity to include yourself to as well.

Anyways, sit back and watch the rest of us.

Cheers.

Hi, nice lighting, especially on the glass. It's on theme, but just lacks something, looks a little contrived. I'd like bag open and a few on the table, and the tree removed. Might have been an opportunity to include yourself to as well.

Cheers.
Maltesers on the table?? I wanted it to be realistic and they would never be dropped on the table ;) ... but I do see what you mean and I like the idea of the open packet.

I thought of making it a selfie but didn't want to ruien it lol, I'm one of those who love taking photos but hates being in them ;)

The idea was that it was all set out ready for me to sit and enjoy my blissful time.

Nice idea was one of my first thoughts. maybe shot from the other perspective sat on sofa feet on table tv in background?
That's a good idea.

Cheers.
After finding out what contrived means I completely see your point (y)

Darker pillow and substitute the Maltesers with another beer :)

Hiya Mike, that's a good idea for the theme. I like that the sofa is slightly OOF... it works in the context of the "message" for me. You've chosen some very difficult lighting subjects to include so I hope you don't mind me making some suggestions for a future tweak or two:
1. The shadows under the remote and behind the Maltesers are quite "hard"... not sure what your light source is but I'd be tempted to bounce a flash (if you have one) off the ceiling almost directly above the table: this should make the defined edges of the shadow blend a lot more. It will also soften the area of specular highlights on the Maltersers. If you don't have flash, then a torch or something aimed at the ceiling should have a similar effect (but you'd need to turn off other lights and put the camera on a tripod for a long exposure).
2. You could play around with the location of the light source - by bouncing it in slightly different directions, look at how it changes the position of the shadows and also the specular highlights (the white bits) on the Maltesers.
3. A real nice-to-have would be some lighting through the beer (i.e from behind), but that's difficult and probably just something which isn't feasible without multiple flashes.

The lighting on the sofa is ok for me, sure a touch more would be great (and might be achieved by diffusing the light source by bouncing off the ceiling) but not a show stopped. Viewed on flickr with a dark grey background it's easier to see the detail in the darks. The only other thought I had would be a lower angle of view, but again that's just a bit of experimentation perhaps?

Good job for such a tricky theme this week...

Sorry I have only just made it in to comment, two images spot on theme, nothing to say about the patterns as it is well lit and I like the colours, with the shot for bliss I have to echo the fact that the White cushion seems to be floating and is a touch distracting, other than that it's a strong start.

That's pretty much the mental image I've had in my head all day at work :LOL:
(well wine instead of beer, but close enough!)

I agree with @pjm1 's observations on the lighting on this - only other suggestion I can add is possibly getting down a bit lower for the composition, so that the edge of the table is on the bottom of the frame and you're looking directly across the table if that makes sense.

I can see how this was tricky to pull off though and well done for getting something bang on theme.

Hiya Mike, that's a good idea for the theme. I like that the sofa is slightly OOF... it works in the context of the "message" for me. You've chosen some very difficult lighting subjects to include so I hope you don't mind me making some suggestions for a future tweak or two:
1. The shadows under the remote and behind the Maltesers are quite "hard"... not sure what your light source is but I'd be tempted to bounce a flash (if you have one) off the ceiling almost directly above the table: this should make the defined edges of the shadow blend a lot more. It will also soften the area of specular highlights on the Maltersers. If you don't have flash, then a torch or something aimed at the ceiling should have a similar effect (but you'd need to turn off other lights and put the camera on a tripod for a long exposure).
2. You could play around with the location of the light source - by bouncing it in slightly different directions, look at how it changes the position of the shadows and also the specular highlights (the white bits) on the Maltesers.
3. A real nice-to-have would be some lighting through the beer (i.e from behind), but that's difficult and probably just something which isn't feasible without multiple flashes.

The lighting on the sofa is ok for me, sure a touch more would be great (and might be achieved by diffusing the light source by bouncing off the ceiling) but not a show stopped. Viewed on flickr with a dark grey background it's easier to see the detail in the darks. The only other thought I had would be a lower angle of view, but again that's just a bit of experimentation perhaps?

Good job for such a tricky theme this week...
Thanks for all that advice :)
The light was from a speedlight through a brolly right next to the camera on the left. I used a second speedlightmwith a diffuser handheld fired at the sofa at about head night (5'6" in my case) also from the left but just out of shot from between the sofa and the table. I didn't have that flash to biright because I was worried about spill ointoi the table. I was having real problems with those highlights on the packet, and have similar troubles with a Lego diorama.

The brolly I have is a cheap one of Amazon and I wonder if its just not softening the light enough. I wounded if I should get a softbox or a decent brolly.

Thanks again everyone for the tips.

Ewww - maltesers and then beer - how to ruin your palate!

Anyhow - nice simple idea for the shot, but if I'm honest it feels more like a snap than a photo that draws me in. I wonder whether coming from a lower angle and closer into the objects on the table with the sofa OOF in the background would have immersed the viewer in the scene?

It's really interesting seeing other people's images of what bliss means to them/ A glimpse into your life :rolleyes:

My only crit is the Christmas tree, which has already been mentioned. Nice start to the 52 Mike (y)

Hi
Bliss
Like your thinking :)
think it's just lacking a someone ready to enjoy their moment of bliss
hope you enjoyed finishing off the props

Hi, sorry playing catch up so will brief,
Pattern the one thats all in focus works better for me
Bliss not sure on that one the white cushion is the first thing I see I know why its there its just to in your face
think i would have preferred a tighter crop on the main subject matter
chocolates and beer though :puke:

Week 2 - Fragile
When I decided to do TP52 I made up my mind that I would get the image done within a week as much as possible. So I'm quite late with this one (I'm always late for everything :rolleyes:). I had difficulty trying to work out what I was going to do for 'fragile' and I think it was seeing my little girl building a tower with blocks when I decided to go with the blocks. I was going to use some different blocks that are different shapes and colours but my wife suggested using these blocks because they have letters on so can spell out 'Fragile' :) I also put blocks with a leaf and an egg, that could be considered fragile, at the top and bottom of the tower I have two photos one with just a tower, the second with some blocks around the bottom. The first shot was at f16, the second at f8 to blurr the blocks that aren't in the tower. I've PP'd these in the 30 day trial I've got of LR5. I'm not sure which one to go for so would value your opinions please :D

Week 2 Fragile 1

Week 2 Fragile 2

Last edited:
Oh I was going to mention that when my wife was heavily pregnant with my son we were at the MILs and she had either just moved or was about to. I found some fragile parcel tape and stuck a bit on my wife gurt bump. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow and put it up for a bit of a laugh.

Brilliant take for the them Mike. For me, it's your second blocks shot: the wider aspect and the surrounding blocks add something. Lighting and technicals all spot on for me: the darkness is also intriguing so I wouldn't want more even light, personally. Great job! (Oh and big congrats to you and Mrs Raptor, even if that was 8 years ago!)

Brilliant take for the them Mike. For me, it's your second blocks shot: the wider aspect and the surrounding blocks add something. Lighting and technicals all spot on for me: the darkness is also intriguing so I wouldn't want more even light, personally. Great job! (Oh and big congrats to you and Mrs Raptor, even if that was 8 years ago!)
lol, thanks. We've had twins since lol. And thanks for the feedback on the photos. I went for the second one. I have to admit I have a thing for colour against black backgrounds lol.

Last edited:
Back