Rugby World cup '23

Isn't the Jones experiment continuing? I thought I had read that they were sticking with him.

It is interesting seeing 'top' teams not making it out of the pool section - a combination of manager setup not right and improving second tier teams. The latter must be good.

I think the ABs will have a good match and win. The 'boks looked shellshocked and needed coach intervention to remind them they should be beating England.
It's hard to know what Eddie is up to ,the story is that he may still be interested in the job with Japan, if that is true we don't want him.

JUST!!!

What a messy game.
I don't understand why the refs. allow all this constant whingeing from both captains.

NZ are very slight favs, at least on Boylesports - 5/6 to 6/5, evs with -1/+1

a02abe0ca20d7f468ecf7722ee12ca1b4a8b48ae_2_871x750.jpeg

Or even third...

As expected, very tight game, NZ just too many mistakes - GG RSA. Slight warm fuzzy feeling as an Irishman knowing we're the only ones to beat them all tournie :)

As someone who is not a rugby expert but just enjoys watching, my personal opinion was the red card really took the edge off the game. Seemed a bit soft to me. Can any of the knowledgeable folk here say different? If I've missed something then fair enough but I'd hate to see rugby going down the same VAR tunnel that football has gone.

I enjoyed the game but felt a little cheated with that red card. Happy to be proved wrong

Mike

As someone who is not a rugby expert but just enjoys watching, my personal opinion was the red card really took the edge off the game. Seemed a bit soft to me. Can any of the knowledgeable folk here say different? If I've missed something then fair enough but I'd hate to see rugby going down the same VAR tunnel that football has gone.

I enjoyed the game but felt a little cheated with that red card. Happy to be proved wrong

Mike

He was given a yellow on the pitch by the referee, Wayne Barnes ( who had a great game I thought), for a high tackle involving the opposing players head, he indicated that he wanted it reviewed upstairs, the review panel felt that there was no mitigating circumstance and that there was high degree of danger resulting in the card being upgraded to red....I think!

Not a classic game, but then again finals rarely are, (if only it was as good as France v SA) The game was probably over once Sam Cane saw his card upgraded to red.

A team winning the World Cup final without scoring a try, the losing team scoring a try. Just looks odd to me. 3 points for penalties and drop goals is too much, makes it too much of a goal kicking game.

Last edited:
A team winning the World Cup final without scoring a try, the losing team scoring a try. Just looks odd to me. 3 points for penalties and drop goals is too much, makes it too much of a goal kicking game.

I've oft thought the same, maybe 2pts per penalty and 3 for conversion after a try? might change how teams approach games, make tries more significant

Let’s make football penalty kicks half a point then while we’re at it.

Completely different though, rarely see more than one penalty per game whereas in rugby there's multiple penalties in many games. Actually it's more akin to penalties in football being worth 1.5 goals. The point was made above, SA won the game without even scoring a try and I believe they've done so in the past too. To the very casual fan like myself, tries are what rugby is about, it's what we want to see more of. But when you can score more from kicking ... why wouldn't you play more in that style?

They have changed points per item before. Tries used to have no points. That has gradually increased. I believe the increase to 5 points was to reward open play that scored tries.

Generally in tight games like last night, teams play the system, rather than the opponents. That makes for a less satisfactory game.

IMO, the All Blacks played better rugby but the 'Boks played better ref..

Completely different though, rarely see more than one penalty per game whereas in rugby there's multiple penalties in many games. Actually it's more akin to penalties in football being worth 1.5 goals. The point was made above, SA won the game without even scoring a try and I believe they've done so in the past too. To the very casual fan like myself, tries are what rugby is about, it's what we want to see more of. But when you can score more from kicking ... why wouldn't you play more in that style?

Thankfully Rugby is not football.

A try is worth 5 or 7 if converted, a penalty is 3 so not sure where you get your 1.5 from. You also don’t get 3 points every time there’s a penalty.

The game is the game, if you don’t like it don’t watch it.

IMO, the All Blacks played better rugby but the 'Boks played better ref..

Typical England. SA said nasty words, SA took advantage of the bench, SA paid off the ref, the point system is silly.

Get over it. You’ll get another chance. Perhaps.

Last edited:
I was glad that Erasmus's coloured lights weren't used.

That was ridiculous. Prior to the Erasmus nonsense of the last few years I'd have probably supported the 'boks, for a number of reasons. Not now.

A try is worth 5 or 7 if converted, a penalty is 3 so not sure where you get your 1.5 from. You also don’t get 3 points every time there’s a penalty.

Neatly ignoring the fact that the scoring system has evolved over time, to reward play, rather than gamesmanship.

Typical England. SA said nasty words, SA took advantage of the bench, SA paid off the ref, the point system is silly.

Get over it. You’ll get another chance. Perhaps.

Seems to be a sore spot for you for whatever reason? I literally just threw an idea on how to change it out there, didn't ask anyone to agree. I'll watch whatever I desire even if I don't like it thank you very much :D

A try is a LOT harder to score, you can get 9pts for 3 penalites and if they're so easily handed out then it most certainly does make up the difference plus some ... I don't think you have any valid point here.

Yes when I started playing it was 3 points for a try. Can't remember the penalties and conversions. Also, no lifting in the lineout.

Good exciting game.

Yes when I started playing it was 3 points for a try. Can't remember the penalties and conversions. Also, no lifting in the lineout.

Good exciting game.
It's not so much the points I think, but that penalties are so readily given these days, making penalties seem to be worth more.

It's not so much the points I think, but that penalties are so readily given these days, making penalties seem to be worth more.
And teams play for penalties, nagging the ref and so on.

It's a shame the referee (Wayne Barnes) and his wife received both verbal and social media abuse during the game. Some death threats.
It's going like football.

It’s part of the game. What do you suggest when the rules are broken.

If you don’t want the other side to win on penalties, don’t give them away.

I said it right up there, they seem to be given out too handilly these days, or it seems to be gone that way.

Good exciting game.
2pts each

Don't cheat, don't get penalised. Both teams would have been very much aware of how penalties work before the kick off. Kicking is part of the game and won (and lost) many games.

Back