setups and shots with home studio setup Thread

Well i've got it setup and bribed my son to sit still for 5 mins and............ it looks like i've got too much light ! even at the lowest setting for the flash i'm getting to much spill from the white background, so i need to make some space to get the lights further away

Take a pic of your set up, one so we can see how it looks, and two, it might help for people to give advice if they have a actual view of the room and set up.....I won't be offering any such advice as I know nothing:D

I've just found this starter kit on Amazon. Costs just a bit more than one 430EXII and apart from one bad review regarding replacement bulb issues it seems to be pretty good value for money - from a complete novice's point of view anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/750W-Studio-Professional-Home-Photography/dp/B0033N0LXW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Any thoughts on this?

That looks very similar to the Kit i got from flebay except i got the 900W version 3 x 300DI heads and a slightly different trigger £189 delivered from foto-byte - not having any lights before i've got nothing to compare it with - but its better than i expected with metal bodied flash heads.

I've just found this starter kit on Amazon. Costs just a bit more than one 430EXII and apart from one bad review regarding replacement bulb issues it seems to be pretty good value for money - from a complete novice's point of view anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/750W-Studio-Professional-Home-Photography/dp/B0033N0LXW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Any thoughts on this?

Phil, the same setup is on ebay here and a lot less money, I bought this setup a few months ago and Im pleased with the results it gives. Needs a bit of tweeking with power settings in confined spaces though. Overall it's a cheap starter kit to see if it's for you before you lay out big money on a "propper" light setup. I can see no reason as yet to invest more cash than needed ;)

Phil.

That looks very similar to the Kit i got from flebay except i got the 900W version 3 x 300DI heads and a slightly different trigger £189 delivered from foto-byte - not having any lights before i've got nothing to compare it with - but its better than i expected with metal bodied flash heads.

Phil, the same setup is on ebay here and a lot less money, I bought this setup a few months ago and Im pleased with the results it gives. Needs a bit of tweeking with power settings in confined spaces though. Overall it's a cheap starter kit to see if it's for you before you lay out big money on a "propper" light setup. I can see no reason as yet to invest more cash than needed ;)

Phil.

Ah nice one guys, glad I didn't hit the buy button straight away like I normally do! £60 difference, thats huge!?

Good to know you've got the same kit and you're getting on ok with it Phil, I'll have another little search but I'll more than likely get the same I think.

Background set up and reflective floor is next on the hit list! I'll check out this Tile board that was previously mentioned (y)

Dont worry about switching over to manual or av mode, just have a read of some tutorials like graeme says and have a play with the setting on your camera, you can always switch back to the horrid green square :puke: if need be, but you will be amazed at what you can achieve when you take that step from beyond auto, creativity is your friend (y), Today i did my 1st proper shoot with the hi lite and studio lights, will post up some pics shortly.

Andy

Ok guys here as promised, these were my 1st proper shoot with my lastolite hilite and elemental genisis studio lights, 2x200w lighting the hilite and 1x400w as key light fired through 110cm octobox. Unfortunatly had no light meter but think i managed ok.
6253192425_f876a7dcc3.jpg

6258266431_7398dae8c7.jpg

6258797306_e48bb5ac53.jpg

C & C Welcomed

Andy

Last edited:
Andy77 said:
Ok guys here as promised, these were my 1st proper shoot with my lastolite hilite and elemental genisis studio lights, 2x200w lighting the hilite and 1x400w as key light fired through 110cm octobox. Unfortunatly had no light meter but think i managed ok.

C & C Welcomed

Andy

Great stuff Andy, I'll be very pleased with that as a first effort.

What have you used for the flooring and where did you get it from?

Great stuff Andy, I'll be very pleased with that as a first effort.

What have you used for the flooring and where did you get it from?

Thanks for the comments dan, as per the flooring as sail i used the hilite with train and a peice of clear perspex ontop of the vinyl train, seemed to work a treat to be honest.

Andy

Andy
In the first one there looks to be a bit of flare (ghosting). Do you see it? A sort of wash of light over the subject.

This is probably due to the power from the background lights being too high - the light fires back straight into the lens and you need to be careful of that with the hilight.

The other two are better and more contrasty.

Andy
In the first one there looks to be a bit of flare (ghosting). Do you see it? A sort of wash of light over the subject.

This is probably due to the power from the background lights being too high - the light fires back straight into the lens and you need to be careful of that with the hilight.

The other two are better and more contrasty.

Hi jim yes i do notice it and i see what you mean, so to avoid this i need to move the subject away from the hilite or power down the hilite lights a little.

Andy

Hi jim yes i do notice it and i see what you mean, so to avoid this i need to move the subject away from the hilite or power down the hilite lights a little.

Andy

Basically you are firing the lens straight at the light source. A lens hood will help too but I'm guessing the lights are throwing a little too much light out and moving the subject back will help too.

Andy77 said:

C & C Welcomed

Andy

Nice pics Andy I like them, I've got cats I'd like to try it on but they never sit still..... Did you have to paint much white in PS after when I had to a bit on my pics, I'd be interested to see a pic of you set up too.... Look fwd to seeing some more (y)

hi graeme i tell you something ive never worked with such an energetic animal in all my life lol, she hardly stayed still through the whole shoot, i had to use my trusty old friend ( a tennis ball ;). As per the floor these have had no pp whatsover done to the floor as i was able to blow it out fairly easily with the hilite and key light, i dont have a pic of the setup from the actual shoot but heres one from when i was setting up the lights and using a teddy as a model.
6238355219_39832d2c12_z.jpg

Andy

Its good to see so many people in their livingrooms, in my head everyone else has studios or rooms devoted to all things photography, I never imagine anyone else has to to move kids toys out of the shot or lock the dog in another room so he doesn't knock everything over:D

Some impressive stuff is being produced on here(y)

GR3Z said:
Been Playing Around again, managed to convince the missus and mother in law to pose before they went out, heres the results, Ive included the processed version and then the original image to show the difference, all these photoshop books are starting to pay off :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr3z/6269035955/
lois and sarah by GR3Z, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr3z/6269565488/
lois and sarah compare by GR3Z, on Flickr

Really cracking stuff that mate, can't wait to get my setup going when I get 5mins to myself!

Did you deliberately only light the middle section to create a natural vignette and texture?

Nice models to work with and nice subtle use of the liquify tool.

Dan

Andy77 said:
hi graeme i tell you something ive never worked with such an energetic animal in all my life lol, she hardly stayed still through the whole shoot, i had to use my trusty old friend ( a tennis ball ;). As per the floor these have had no pp whatsover done to the floor as i was able to blow it out fairly easily with the hilite and key light, i dont have a pic of the setup from the actual shoot but heres one from when i was setting up the lights and using a teddy as a model.

Andy

I struggle as I'm only using speedlites and that the white BG is not as reflective as the hilite and if I crank the speedlites to full power I get to much spill, so I have to do the rest of my tweaks in photoshop for now....

dan_yorkshire said:
Really cracking stuff that mate, can't wait to get my setup going when I get 5mins to myself!

Did you deliberately only light the middle section to create a natural vignette and texture?

Nice models to work with and nice subtle use of the liquify tool.

Dan

Thanks...
I didn't purposely light the Bg like that it's because I'm using speed lights and that's how they channel the light, so I have to do more in PP
Lol the missus likes the liquify tool :).....

Thanks...
I didn't purposely light the Bg like that it's because I'm using speed lights and that's how they channel the light, so I have to do more in PP
Lol the missus likes the liquify tool :).....

You would be better with a modifier on the speedlights to spread the light a bit - however you then may need to flag the lights so the light doesn't spill onto your subjects.

I had a go last night after being inspired on here. I used one speedlight behind the subject shooting against the bg (white curtain) and one right high with a Gary Fong lightsphere. All of the pictures came out with an orange tinge. I think it may be the bounced flash off the cream walls (or ambient). I also forgot to set it for raw. Really disappointed with my 1st attempt but its all a learning experience.

Also depending on your shutter speed it could be picking up ambient light from the room, take a shot with the flashes turned off and see if what light is affecting your image. Also change your WB to flash on the speed lights and shot in raw.

Thinking about it, it definitely wasn't ambient as SS was 1/200 and when flash failed to fire the image was dark.

I had a go last night after being inspired on here. I used one speedlight behind the subject shooting against the bg (white curtain) and one right high with a Gary Fong lightsphere. All of the pictures came out with an orange tinge. I think it may be the bounced flash off the cream walls (or ambient). I also forgot to set it for raw. Really disappointed with my 1st attempt but its all a learning experience.

Yes the flash will be returned with the colour of anything it bounces from.

A lightsphere is not really a suitable modifier though. It's meant to be bounced and when bouncing it will spread the light all over the place. Look for something like a Lastolite Easybox - A nice softbox for off camera flash providing a nice directional light.

The larger the light source (relative to the subject) the the softer the light will be. So get a nice modifier and get it close to the subject.

Probably from coloured surfaces as you said. Could you flag the flashes?

You can flag any light source - All you do is place something between the flag and the subject to stop the light hitting the subject.

Anyone have any luck with those Flebay/Amazon studio kits?
Quite interested in getting a set if they would be good to start with?! Only got a limited budget anyway.

I guess from this you are gutted you didnt set it to RAW so you could correct white balance? It's a common misconception that you can only change WB in raw, when in fact you can do it to a jpg by looking for the WB eyedropper in levels or curves in photoshop. I don't shoot RAW becuase it adds actions to an already time consuming workflow and most of what you can do to a raw image you can do to a jpg, but of course if your pixel peeking then the RAW will have just a little bit more detail but if you get it mainly right in camera then it shouldnt be any concern.

Anyone have any luck with those Flebay/Amazon studio kits?
Quite interested in getting a set if they would be good to start with?! Only got a limited budget anyway.

Quite tempted to order http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200627514413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Can anyone confirm the model of the lights and if the bulbs are available if you need to replace them? Only asking because read one of the amazon purchased ones blew the modeling bulbs within days and he could not find a reaplacement.

Mike

Yep, nothing wrong with that flash at all. However another good option is the Yongnuo YN460-ll flash which you can get for less than £35 delivered on eBay, will do the job very well for off camera flash stuff. You'll be able to get 2/3 for the same budget then after getting some triggers and receivers your ready to go

Got mine half an hour ago, just need some batteries, and then a willing subject or two:D

Ok, so I know it's not really a studio, but I thought I would put a couple of pics up.. Shot with a 5D MK1 with Sigma 50mm f1.4 @1.4 1/180 sec ISO 400, Nikon SB-800 on bed at 1/32 power pointed a ceiling.. flash triggered by yongnuo nikon triggers, so 1/180 there was a tiny bit of black at the bottom of the photos..

Big eyes!!
20111026_5D_test-5380.jpg

The Fighter!!
20111026_5D_test-5402.jpg

High tech setup..
20111026_5D_test-5417.jpg

You motivated me to add some more so heres some more of the gf, one holding her phone using a hotshoe flash and bouncing it off the ceiling. The second shot is a speedlite through a softbox off camera right against white BG and some vignette added after in PS.... Both shot using efs 17-55 f2.8 only got it last week, really impressed how sharp it is, it's as easily as sharp as my nifty fifty :)

Lois iphone by GR3Z, on Flickr

2. With this one id really like it if you couldnt see the softbox in her sunglasses.

Lois b&w by GR3Z, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice illustration Jay.
Oh....And cracking shot!

Back