Daily ShoeQueen's 365 2013

Oh that works really well I've seen them in action a few times sometimes used well others very very badly, but this is certainly one of the good ones, looking forward to seeing more of it in the challenge (y)

Lightroom really does give it that extra pop, but it's amazing what you can achieve with the phone alone!

That background looks brilliant all right! Nice image, and looking forward to you putting it to work.

Happy to see snapseed getting used by other 365ers :) nice work again

Lightroom really does give it that extra pop, but it's amazing what you can achieve with the phone alone!
Yes the phone and Snapseed are great - and I like how its making me try to adapt the subject/compostion to fit the limits of the phone.

Nice one and a really good crisp white background :)

Loveit - the colours are so bright :) Great shot

lovely shot

Oh that works really well I've seen them in action a few times sometimes used well others very very badly, but this is certainly one of the good ones, looking forward to seeing more of it in the challenge (y)

That background looks brilliant all right! Nice image, and looking forward to you putting it to work.
Thanks all - I've used one of these a couple of times before (borrowed) and the ease of use made me decide to get my own. The only hard part is putting it down again but I think I've that sorted now. I now really want to start playing with it but its a bit of a palaver to move all the furniture so I think I'll maybe wait til I can get a friend round to pose for me.

Thanks all - I've used one of these a couple of times before (borrowed) and the ease of use made me decide to get my own. The only hard part is putting it down again but I think I've that sorted now. I now really want to start playing with it but its a bit of a palaver to move all the furniture so I think I'll maybe wait til I can get a friend round to pose for me.

im forever trying to get the friends to come n pose, only 1 friend ever does haha hope you have better luck them me

Excellent investment :) I'm hoping to get full control of my flash this year, so watch my space :D Luckily my girlies are only too happy to act as models ;)

Good variety of shots to start with. I think the shoes and the coffee shop stand out for me. Will be following this thread.

Cheers

Excellent investment :) I'm hoping to get full control of my flash this year, so watch my space :D Luckily my girlies are only too happy to act as models ;)
I got it because its easy to light, quick to set up, easy to store and I can fit it into my wee Fiesta. Looking forward to seeing some shots with your models! :)

Beautiful shot!(y)(y)
Thanks!

Good variety of shots to start with. I think the shoes and the coffee shop stand out for me. Will be following this thread.

Cheers
Thanks. I think there is a definite coffee shop theme developing!

Great shot and well composed. Fab white BG! :)
Thanks - easy to do with a hilite. :D

Day 8 - Lock Keepers

You lot are going to think all I ever do is go to coffee shops....! Today I was out for a short towpath walk from 4-5pm and it was lovely to see the days getting a bit longer again. This coffee shop is right by the path and a lovely spot to sit outside in the summer but its so mild still (to change tomorrow!) that some folk were sitting outside for their cuppa at 4:30pm.

Another iPhone shot - edited in LR this time.

Last edited:
I like the reflection in the door, but this is missing something for me. Not up to your usual standard ;)

Yes its more of a snapshot - meaningful to me as its a place I like but the light was fading and I only had the iPhone. Need to get more creative soon!

Just about to head off out to dance class. These are my scruffiest dance shoes - for classes, workshops (and dancing in the early hours when feet are tired.) They are always in my dance bag, I was wearing them last night and will be wearing them tonight. So as I was packing my dance bag I thought these would be the subject for today...

Day 9 - Dance shoes

lovely shot :) have a pair of shoes just for dancing myself - always polished though (soles as well) so they will be getting an airing this weekend :)
Love the conversion

Love that one, Lynn.
Thanks!

lovely shot :) have a pair of shoes just for dancing myself - always polished though (soles as well) so they will be getting an airing this weekend :)
Love the conversion
I just sat and counted up in my head and I think I have 18 pairs of dance shoes... everything from dance trainers to tango shoes. I used to buy a few pairs every year - til I got into photography!

Really like this one. What style of dancing do you do?
Mainly Ceroc (modern jive partner dance) but tonight I had a West Coast Swing dance as well, some blues type dancing and even a wee bit of tango added in to one dance.

Really good photo! (y)

Good composition with the shoes

this really works well

love the composition of the dance shoes Lynn as well as the processing..
Thanks all!

That's one unusual looking pub and old sounding name but a very modern looking exterior?

That photo of shoes for today is cracking (y)
Its beside an old Lock Keepers cottage (which I'll get a shot of sometime when the light is better) which has been restored as it was when the canal was in use. This modern building is a coffee shop that has been built beside the path. In the summer they will serve your tray out on the grassy area if the tables are busy so people bring blankets and sit in the sun. :)

Thanks!
Mainly Ceroc (modern jive partner dance) but tonight I had a West Coast Swing dance as well, some blues type dancing and even a wee bit of tango added in to one dance.

Cool, I love to dance and can Tango a little bit :) I'm a bit stuck for classes though, as the girls won't let me go with them :LOL:

Wasn't it the Lock Keepers that caused all the controversy with the Robinson's?
Nice shoe shot yesterday, I would need 2 left shoes!

Another one really liking the setup, lighting and processing of the dance shoes- fab work!

Cool, I love to dance and can Tango a little bit :) I'm a bit stuck for classes though, as the girls won't let me go with them :LOL:
I do a bit of Argentine Tango - not often enough to ever get any good but my partner leads some ochos and giros in a Ceroc dance if it suits the music.

love them both, really like the pub one
Thanks - one of my fav spots for a walk.
Wasn't it the Lock Keepers that caused all the controversy with the Robinson's?
Nice shoe shot yesterday, I would need 2 left shoes!
Yes it is! I think its changed ownership since then though.
Those shoes are a cracker of a still life Lynn, really good processing too. The Vingette really focuses the eye on the shoes, which have real character.
Thanks. I love adding a vignette but normally wouldn't use as strong a one as this - thought it worked in this shot though.

Lynn loving the monochrome dance shoes shot !!
Thanks!

Another one really liking the setup, lighting and processing of the dance shoes- fab work!
Thanks - flash on camera, bounced. Tried a few different angles of light til I was happy with it.

Beautiful dance shoes and lovely tones :)

Love the shoes shot, great processing
Thanks. :)

Day 10

Feeling a bit tired tonight, was supposed to be out at camera club but didn't make it. So decided to try a bit of off camera flash with a rose. (Flash to camera left, reflector to the right to bring a little bit back in on that side.)

The lighting isn't half bad - but the rose looks like it's seen better days ;)

The lighting isn't half bad - but the rose looks like it's seen better days ;)
It does and it was only just bought! Straight from the shop the night before - I should have taken that petal off or turned it a different way.

I'm not happy with the lighting - but my aim was to get a dark background as that's not something I've ever tried before. More work needed I think.

It does and it was only just bought! Straight from the shop the night before - I should have taken that petal off or turned it a different way.

I'm not happy with the lighting - but my aim was to get a dark background as that's not something I've ever tried before. More work needed I think.

I really want to get to grips with lighting doing this 365, I'm lucky living where I do that I get a nice lot of natural light. Just bought this to help me along the way - just got to find the time to study it now ;)

Background is lovely & black, but a bit more light needed on the rose, a reflector might have worked to bounce a bit more from the flash. As for the rose, I now tend to pick through the bunches until I get the ones with the least flaws & the local florists are used to me going in to buy 1 or 2 flowers & let me pick the ones I want :)

Lynn the Rose looks tired just like you were !!!

But I quite like the lighting and composition and the bloody subject is one of my favourite's
Thanks. I should have taken more time over it but wanted to just make a start with this sort of shot and will work on it

I really want to get to grips with lighting doing this 365, I'm lucky living where I do that I get a nice lot of natural light. Just bought this to help me along the way - just got to find the time to study it now ;)
I tend to use speedlights on camera bounced but not used to using them like this. I did a course a year ago so need to think back to what I learnt then and play about with them a bit. Look forward to seeing your shots with speedlights.

Background is lovely & black, but a bit more light needed on the rose, a reflector might have worked to bounce a bit more from the flash. As for the rose, I now tend to pick through the bunches until I get the ones with the least flaws & the local florists are used to me going in to buy 1 or 2 flowers & let me pick the ones I want :)
I had a reflector to the right but it was only propped up against the TV and probably not at the right angle - I also had the flash turned down quite low as I didn't want too much light on the rose. I'll try different set ups.

My OH buys me roses all the time - basically when he sees the last lot are done he gets me more. These look quite good from the top but have a few straggly petals at the sides so I should have made a better selection. It was a bit of a 'lets try this' sort of shot and making it up as I went along. I need to plan it out more.

I know we are only 10 days into this but already I'm trying new things and really enjoying the challenge of thinking about subjects, composition and lighting. And enjoying everyone else's threads too.

Back