Daily ShoeQueen's 365 2013

I like the lighting on your rose but agree that it's had better days! I agree with you about using the 365 to learn more about things like lighting - that's definitely an area I need to improve on!

Its really only a petal or two at the side that looked not great - if I'd taken that off and shot differently it would have looked better. I was so focused on the lighting that I didn't pay enough attention to the subject!

Critique welcome on any of my shots - happy to learn from mistakes I make along the way.

Its really only a petal or two at the side that looked not great - if I'd taken that off and shot differently it would have looked better. I was so focused on the lighting that I didn't pay enough attention to the subject!

Critique welcome on any of my shots - happy to learn from mistakes I make along the way.

Personally, I wasn't thinking that it was a 'mistake' as such....it's a great shot - all you need to do is name it 'Fading Glory' or something and then everyone would be falling over each other to congratulate you on finding a rose with a couple of petals that looked like that! :LOL::LOL:

You've hit the nail on the head, doing this is a great way to improve our photography, make us get out and take shots and expand what we can do. A friend of mine did it last year and although he was good at the start, it was amazing how much he improved over the year, it made it interesting to see what he would shoot every day. It's what inspired me to try.

Day 11

College has started back after the Christmas break so back to lesson planning.

Last edited:
Would it have been possible to bring the reflector a little closer to the rose, as personally I'd like to see a little more fill but otherwise a nice image (y)
Yes it would - both distance and angle of reflector could have been better - it was just propped against the TV!

I like the focus on focus. Nice composition!

Whoops didn't notice the next page :bang: love that and I like the focus on the focus :D

Loving that focus.... nice simple but effective shot(y)(y)
Thanks all.

I would probably never have thought of focusing on the focus. No imagination me! Nice shot.

A day of 'need to take something - party lights. Lol Not good but better than missing a day. Needless to say its am iPhone shot & edit

Day 11
Party lights

Actually that's very pretty - your floors are far cleaner than mine :D
Not my floor - I was out a dance event and realised I'd not got round to doing my photo - knew I'd be there dancing til 1am so it was a case of hmm - what is there here? Its really low light - so spotted these coloured lights. So funny as the OH was saying 'can we dance now?' and I'm editing and uploading to my website then getting the link for here lol...

All part of the 365 challenge, sometimes the shot isn't always to your requirements, but you still take a photo of the day whatever, colourful and nice lighting

Awwww very pretty!!(y)(y)

Not bad for the iPhone. You live to fight another day. Hurrah!
Thanks guys. Some days will be just quick grabs but at least I shot something. Really appreciate the encouragement. Now home, time to sit down with a cuppa and check out the other threads!:)

A day of 'need to take something - party lights. Lol Not good but better than missing a day. Needless to say its am iPhone shot & edit

Day 11
Party lights

I like the photo, it's bright and pretty and the I like the reflections on the wall and floor! Also, bearing in mind what you used, I think it did very well.

So funny as the OH was saying 'can we dance now?' and I'm editing and uploading to my website then getting the link for here lol...

Thanks guys. Some days will be just quick grabs but at least I shot something. Really appreciate the encouragement. Now home, time to sit down with a cuppa and check out the other threads!:)

That's hilarious - I can just imagine your poor husband standing there while you do your thing! I think you did really well considering the circumstances and found a creative addition to your 365 collection - and to sit and edit & upload as well? You are more dedicated (and handier with an iPhone) than I am :D A 'quick grab' is a great reminder of a day as well and I think we'll all be doing some of that this year.

love the photo - bright colours just what we need :)

That's hilarious - I can just imagine your poor husband standing there while you do your thing! I think you did really well considering the circumstances and found a creative addition to your 365 collection - and to sit and edit & upload as well? You are more dedicated (and handier with an iPhone) than I am :D A 'quick grab' is a great reminder of a day as well and I think we'll all be doing some of that this year.
It was literally a few mins - take, edit and upload. Except I upload to my website, then link to here and then also to Flickr and Facebook and of course I wanted to get them all done so I could just get on with dancing.

Took a bit more time today - back to playing with lighting - not a real flower this time.

First shot with no flash - just overhead lights. f2.8, 1/80, ISO4000

Second shot - overhead lights still on but flash and f11, 1/160, ISO200

Just playing!

Day 13 - Flower

beautiful Gerberas .... great work on both of them :)

Some wonderful shots there. The dof spot on with the college books, nice shot of the party lights with some great colours, and a really nice crisp shot of the flowers (y)

I much prefer the second shot - makes the colour of the flower pop and it also looks a little sharper.

Thanks all. The two together were to show changing the settings made the background go black. Trying to learn how to do that.

Love the college book and the party lights. I find all flowers a bit blah to be honest and rarely shoot them myself so not a very good judge but the colours are bright and they work compositionally

beautiful Gerberas .... great work on both of them :)

Gorgeous, I like them both.

Nice contrast between the two

Some wonderful shots there. The dof spot on with the college books, nice shot of the party lights with some great colours, and a really nice crisp shot of the flowers (y)
Thanks.

I much prefer the second shot - makes the colour of the flower pop and it also looks a little sharper.
Yes the first was slower shutter speed, wide open and ISO 4000 so not as sharp.

Love the college book and the party lights. I find all flowers a bit blah to be honest and rarely shoot them myself so not a very good judge but the colours are bright and they work compositionally
The flowers were mainly as a subject for my experiment - I think I'll try a teddy next time. The point was to shoot in exactly the same ambient light - one using ambient light and the second blacking it out with aperture and using flash for the subject.

Loving the top flower Lynn
Thanks. I originally took it just to show the ambient light but I quite liked it too!

How ironic that we've both posted bright pink flowers for today, I've got to say I like your approach to the image subject (y)
Yours is nicer though and its real!

Loving the 365 - its motivating me to try stuff like this.

Hmm..I'd like to see the flower from the one with thr black background merged on top of the one with the light background. Am I too picky?

Was hoping to get this in just before midnight but never mind - nearly!

This 'balloon' came in a bunch of flowers - a year ago! Realised its been in the corner of the kitchen for a year - surprised its lasted that long!

Another iPhone shot and edit I'm afraid - sorry!

Back