Show us yer film shots then!

Steve, d'you think the Yash ones are over-sharpened? There's a sparkiness that looks a bit odd. Interesting that the iPhone picks up more from the sky than the Yash and Velvia! But you're right, the Ensign/Acros is just wonderful, and the two Kiev shots are terrific, too.

Agreed....the Iphone shots look more pleasing and a Yashica mat should slaughter an Iphone.

Lking the b&w Steve, not sure why but I really like number 7.

Thanks for the comments. To be fair to the Yash, the scans from AG aren't great (smallest size versions) and I think Flickr has murdered the sharpening so i'll upload new versions in a minute. Also, the shots from the Yash are straight out of camera whereas the iPhone had some editing in Snapseed including selective adjustment of the sky.

With regards to number 7, I actually quite like it too. I shot the full roll in about 15 minutes around the house/garden when I was testing the back on the Kiev so I'm surprised I got any I liked! However, I think I'll be doing my usual and selling the Kiev on as I keep looking at GA645's again ;)

Cheers
Steve

Hmm, I've uploaded one of the Yash scans to Flickr again and it still looks like it's been sharpened to kill! Flickr is having some performance issues again by the looks of it so i'll try again tomorrow.

Chris, that's a nice selection of shots from Edinburgh. I'm with the comment above about shots 1 and 4 standing out to me most although the timing and energy in 3 also works really well.

Steve

One from a year or 3 back. I bought a C330 and the seller threw in a couple of rolls of Fuji Pro400H. I had no interest in colour neg at the time, so I loaded a roll into my C33 and dev'd in R09 just for giggles :)
Details are a little vague but I'm pretty sure I stand-developed it for a couple of hours. Scanned on my Epson 4490. The negs were so dense, I was pleased to get anything!
I know I could very easily correct the colour cast but it's quirky, I sorta like it :D

img115 by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

Chris, superb set. For me #4 is the standout. Wish I'd taken it !!

I haven't posted much here recently, so I thought I should add some from the Festival. Most of these with Pentax MX and 85mm f/2 lens, Fuji and Ilford C41 black and white film.

Just for fun!

All really good but number 2 is rather a special one .

^^^WHS^^^ Cracking shot Chris, great of depth of field, good tones and the look on the guys face is brilliant. I can't quite work out what's going on with the last one, why is he in focus and she isn't? It looks like they're both on the same plane.

A couple from my Holga. Shot on TMax 400 and developed in the bathroom...

holga-3 by KJ (शिष्य), on Flickr

Sometimes only a Holga will do, this is the sort of thing Holgas do best.

6) Ensign 20 - Fuji Acros 100 - Sleeping beauty

Ensign Selfix 20 - Model 1 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

7) Kiev 80 - Kodak T400

Kiev 80 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Cheers
Steve

Really nice gentle tones from your Sleeping Beaty shot, it's amazing that great shots are still achievable from this old cameras.

And your Kiev looks like a cracker, I know you were only firing off a film round the garden but that's got a very nice feel to it, just the right amount of out of focusness.

I also ran a roll of Acros 100 through my 1930 Ensign 20 and some Kodak T400 through my Kiev 80 and I have to say that the Ensign delivered my favourite result;

6) Ensign 20 - Fuji Acros 100 - Sleeping beauty

7) Kiev 80 - Kodak T400

8) Kiev 80 - Kodak T400

Cheers
Steve

I just love these, the depth of feel and the smooth tones. I honestly can't think of creating these on my digital cameras without post processing.

Just love the way the swan falls perfectly into the "sharp sweetspot" of the lens with the rest of scene suitably oof

I'm learning to judge the distances on the Holga. I seem to get better results when using the flash but that could just be coincidence.

Thanks Nick. I've had the Ensign for a while but always been a bit wary of shooting with it due to there being no coupled viewfinder but I really like the result from this one. Looks like I'll be putting another roll through it then. It's also good being 6x9 so the negatives are even bigger than my Kiev ;0)

Speaking of the Kiev...it's now in the classifieds!

Cheers
Steve

I just love these, the depth of feel and the smooth tones. I honestly can't think of creating these on my digital cameras without post processing.

Thanks Kayjay. I agree about the same depth/tone being impossible in digital (without shooting medium format). That's what I love about film, there's no way I could afford digital MF so film is my best option.

Cheers
Steve

I haven't posted much here recently, so I thought I should add some from the Festival. Most of these with Pentax MX and 85mm f/2 lens, Fuji and Ilford C41 black and white film.
Just for fun!

All very nice Chris, 4 particularly for me (y)

regards

Mark

How long did AG take? They've had my film since Tuesday and I've not seen it go into the lab yet.

I got a confirmation email from them to say that my films had arrived in the lab on the 25th September then they were shipped back to me on the 2nd October and arrived on the 3rd. This was the first time I've had negatives scanned by them so this added a few days onto the turnaround time.

Cheers
Steve

How long did AG take? They've had my film since Tuesday and I've not seen it go into the lab yet.

I keep records of posting and return dates (yes, I know, a bit strange); over the 4 times I used them this year, AG have averaged just over 7 days (some with scans, some without). Peak are averaging 4 days mostly without scans, The Darkroom just over 3 days, and Photo Express just under 3 days (all with scans).

I keep records of posting and return dates (yes, I know, a bit strange); over the 4 times I used them this year, AG have averaged just over 7 days (some with scans, some without). Peak are averaging 4 days mostly without scans, The Darkroom just over 3 days, and Photo Express just under 3 days (all with scans).

How very sensible :)

Have you tried Frosts photo centre? http://www.frostsphotocentre.co.uk/services/printing/film-processing.php

They offer a postal service too. Similar price to AG.

Lots more great images.

This is my favourite thread on the forum. Apologies for not leaving individual comments often, but I do enjoy and love to see the offerings here.

There is a truth and honesty to the photos posted here that is sometimes lacking in other threads. Photos seem to be posted out of genuine love and enthusiasm for the film medium and a desire to share that feeling with other likeminded users.

So although the subject matter is not always of interest to me; we all have our individual taste and likes, the important element is that it was of interest to the person who took it. And that they have taken the time to upload these to this thread, not for feedback or praise, but merely to share with the rest of us.

There was a comment that the standard may not always be that high, but again this is subjective and maybe illustrates the technical limitations of some older equipment used. Because in my opinion any lack of technical quality is more than offset by the evident passion of the photographer.

And when passion is combined with technical excellence, the results are stunning as can be evidenced by many of the photos on this thread. It seems unfair to single out any one person from all the talented users here. But anyone doubting the quality and technique should look at Osh's pony photos. Given time I could come up with dozen more examples, but these ones really stood out to me when I first saw them.

Anyway kind of long winded way of saying that I love this thread, please keep on posting what you like, and sorry I'm not very good at posting individual comments.

^^^ WHS (y)

Lots more great images.

This is my favourite thread on the forum. Apologies for not leaving individual comments often, but I do enjoy and love to see the offerings here.

There is a truth and honesty to the photos posted here that is sometimes lacking in other threads. Photos seem to be posted out of genuine love and enthusiasm for the film medium and a desire to share that feeling with other likeminded users.

So although the subject matter is not always of interest to me; we all have our individual taste and likes, the important element is that it was of interest to the person who took it. And that they have taken the time to upload these to this thread, not for feedback or praise, but merely to share with the rest of us.

There was a comment that the standard may not always be that high, but again this is subjective and maybe illustrates the technical limitations of some older equipment used. Because in my opinion any lack of technical quality is more than offset by the evident passion of the photographer.

And when passion is combined with technical excellence, the results are stunning as can be evidenced by many of the photos on this thread. It seems unfair to single out any one person from all the talented users here. But anyone doubting the quality and technique should look at Osh's pony photos. Given time I could come up with dozen more examples, but these ones really stood out to me when I first saw them.

Anyway kind of long winded way of saying that I love this thread, please keep on posting what you like, and sorry I'm not very good at posting individual comments.

^^^WHSHS^^^ (y) :clap:

Ummm WHSWHSWHS :p

Totally agree, the depth of variety of shooter is much easier to see in this thread as well, been some stella stuff recently.

What THEY Said / Agreed with.....this line in particular:

"any lack of technical quality is more than offset by the evident passion of the photographer"

Nice shots, Andy, and it looks like it was a good time. Hopefully I can make it to an f&c gathering at some point in the relatively near future, although it probably won't be for some time, unfortunately. :(

Steve, I couldn't agree more! What a lovely sentiment in that entire post and for me it sums up why we do this perfectly. I love this bit of the forum because no-one has any points to prove and no-one cares who has a 'better' camera, it's all about getting out there and doing something we love.

Soppy bunch aren't we? :LOL:

Oh Lukas......everyone was invited but only the brave and pure of heart turned up.:D

when did that all happened ??

why I wasn't invited ???

There's no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so you've had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints and its far too late to start making a fuss about it now.

It was only after I posted it that I wondered whether you'd get the HHGTTG reference, it's really funny if you watched TV here in the 80's

What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh for heaven sake mankind it's only four light years away you know! I'm sorry but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that's your own regard. Energise the demolition beams! God I don't know…apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all…

Enough of the Vogon poetry....my ears are bleeding and I've had to remove the babel fish.

Back