Show us yer film shots then!

Nice shot Lee. If you're a smart phone user you can get an app which can do a reasonable approximation of a light metre, did me for the last year until I finally broke down and got a spot metre.

Steve, thanks....do you know the name of the app?.

And, thanks everyone else for the welcome.

I use smart light meter on Android, but there are loads just have a search for light meter.

Steve, thanks....do you know the name of the app?.

And, thanks everyone else for the welcome.

This is one that I use iPhone app

I'm pretty sure you can get an Android version as well.

Reading back over the last page, I think Fred's original point has been missed .. I'm sure Fred will correct me if I'm wrong, this is just the way I interpreted the last few days of posts.

Fred posted a photo and asked for comments on it. Not crit, just a comment or 2 like the other photos were receiving. Several hours passed and a few others posted their own photos and commented on others posted before and after Fred's yet, despite asking for a comment or two a couple of times, not a word was said (I actually had commented - on Fred's and a couple of others - to notice today that the post hadn't gone through). It's not something that bothers me - I don't post anything worthy of comment - but I can imagine it could easily be really crap for others so I guess, looking at it from Fred's point of view..

When does the fun start for those whose photos are completely overlooked? Sure, it's not a critique thread but to get no acknowledgement at all even after asking for it? The way it made Fred feel is clear in that where his photo once was stands a " :( "

If you can't get a single comment, even a "good job", on a photo in a thread made to post photos for fun and kudos, where can you?

(sorry to single your post out, Andy! It was the first one to mention "fun" I read!)

But, like I said, that's only how it came across to me reading Fred's initial comments after his posted photo and then the follow up to that last night. He wasn't looking for critique, it seemed to me that he wanted just acknowledgement. That he was quite upset at being completely overlooked, even after asking. I apologise (especially to Fred!) if I've got this all wrong! It is just the way the situation read out to me.

I, for one, like the thread. I'd subscribed to it long before I posted my first photo and really enjoy it :clap:

edit - Welcome Lee!

Well Toni, the way I look at it is:- What matters is that anyone likes their own shots, maybe also family and close friends, as what anyone finds interesting maybe boring to others...and if others like your shots on forums etc it's a bonus.

Really like all of these. The Russian lens you used renders a great image. A very nice timeless feel to your shots.

Thanks Adrian. It's a funny little lens. When I first got it it was full of hardened grease and so focusing was difficult.

I took it apart and regreased it only to discover that the old grease was holding it together. The lens barrel now has a slight wobble, a common problem with these lenses it seems.

However, despite all this it still takes a reasonably sharp picture.

Well Toni, the way I look at it is:- What matters is that anyone likes their own shots, maybe also family and close friends, as what anyone finds interesting maybe boring to others...and if others like your shots on forums etc it's a bonus.

And that's the way I look at it, too. But my point wasn't how you or I or anyone else but Fred might, given he was the topic of conversation but no one was quite getting his point last night.

Congrats on the photo in the book, Fred (y)

And that's the way I look at it, too. But my point wasn't how you or I or anyone else but Fred might, given he was the topic of conversation but no one was quite getting his point last night.

Its a shame however, that he chose to delete the pictures... Personally, I have to admit, i'd make "disruptive post editing" like that a "day off" offence, as I just think its rather petty and childish but hey-ho :shrug:

Point taken Toni, I did mean to mention the image when I responded but life interupted and I forgot. I shall make sure I take more time to look and comment in future.

On a similar theme, I think we all need to spend a little more time in the photos from film thread and give some crit in there. There are some very interesting shots that get very few responses and I suspect that we may need to 'use it or lose it'

Andy

I've acquired it too, as long as it doesn't use up stacks of battery it'll be useful for travelling light with the Fuji

Well I would guess everyone doesn't read every post, and I would guess the guys interested in B\W would flick thru' colour shots unless one stands out...I prefer colour and quite often flick thru' B\W shots until one catches my eye.
Then you get a member who posts for an example something like "anyone done this" and is annoyed he doesn't get a reply....well it would be silly if all the members posted "sorry I haven't done this".........:shrug:
Anyway going back I can't see what Fred was talking about and he shouldn't be upset (or anyone else) as I'm sure people in this forum don't intend to be deliberately rude, but it might seem that way.

Last edited:
Well I would guess everyone doesn't read every post, and I would guess the guys interested in B\W would flick thru' colour shots unless one stands out...I prefer colour and quite often flick thru' B\W shots until one catches my eye.
Then you get a member who posts for an example something like "anyone done this" and is annoyed he doesn't get a reply....well it would be silly if all the members posted "sorry I haven't done this".........:shrug:
Anyway going back I can't see what Fred was talking about and he shouldn't be upset (or anyone else) as I'm sure people in this forum don't intend to be deliberately rude, but it might seem that way.
No way anyone rude in this forum:bonk:
Never i have notice any rude or arrogant behaviour in this forum;)
The reason i removed the photos is that i need to ask the man in the photos is permission to post it as it's actually on of my customer, i never really posted anything in this thread before and thought why not contribute for once, but i found uploading the photo to flickr first a bit of a pain.
Thats why i was asking if anything was on the planning stage like a gallery or something like 500px.

Chris, thank you....
I admit it's been a bit of a learning curve, especially trying to understand the terminology(and having to wait with bated breath for my first roll of film to come back was probably the hardest thing)....and my thanks must go to StephenM(Stephen Batey) who'd very patiently explained everything and answered all my questions.

Ps.... I'm a Mum, not a Dad :LOL:

Ooops, sorry! I did have a quick look at your "real name", and since Lee is potentially ambiguous, back at the username. Thought I was safe with "solo_man", but one shouldn't assume!

I think that bated breath thing must be part of the perverse attraction of film! I was expecting some processing back from the Film meet last weekend back on Wednesday (optimistic), then today... it's gotta be tomorrow, Peak!

Re Toni's comment on Fred's post... I know there's no reason why every pic posted should get a comment, but sometimes when I've posted one and got no reaction I have felt a bit miffed. Likewise on Photos from Film; you're exposing your soul a bit more there, and really hoping for honest constructive crit. But I'm as guilty as most of just giving a fairly anodyne comment there.

But this isn't just a F&C problem, noting the banner that has appeared recently asking us to look for an comment on "unanswered posts". I've commented on a few; the trouble is, they tend to be in areas I don't usually look at, and I haven't gone back to see if there was any reaction!

All that said, there does appear to be pretty good reaction and comment on F&C. It feels like we're among friends!

I hope newcomers are welcome here, as I'm thinking of dipping my toe into the film world, and I've only ever shot digital, and I'm still pretty much a beginner at that :LOL:.
This is my first attempt at using film, and I got a lot wrong as I didn't use a light meter... everything was guesstimated, even down to the film I used, as I've never even seen a MF camera with 120 film lol.
Taken with a Mamiya RB67 using Ilford PanF plus 50(sent off to Spectrum Labs in Plymouth for developing)
And, my son always looks miserable so B&W suits him.

Sean 09/2013 by Lee.H2013, on Flickr

Really like this photo, shot some pan F this week and it really give a nice moody image, love it.:clap:

Ooops, sorry! I did have a quick look at your "real name", and since Lee is potentially ambiguous, back at the username. Thought I was safe with "solo_man", but one shouldn't assume!

I think that bated breath thing must be part of the perverse attraction of film! I was expecting some processing back from the Film meet last weekend back on Wednesday (optimistic), then today... it's gotta be tomorrow, Peak!

No problem it confuses everyone :LOL:

I'm waiting on Peak as well, usually if I send on Monday they're back on Wednesday but nothing so far. Maybe we've overrun them with shots of Llandudno pier :LOL:

we need a picture in the pictures thread!!!

there.

Like it! ....Much as I like (and predominantly shoot) b&w, I suspect it would have been excellent subject matter for a colour result with the flora.

Agfa Vista 200 devved at the dreaded asda :p
1187270_10151909866547962_1403640874_n.jpg

Don't think you've posted this one before ...the Dun Ten" tag made me snigger...."Dun ten what??....Pints, Miles ?? :D

I haven't posted much here recently, so I thought I should add some from the Festival. Most of these with Pentax MX and 85mm f/2 lens, Fuji and Ilford C41 black and white film.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Just for fun!

There's something about number 4 which keeps making me go back and look at it, just can't put my finger on it. Saying that the tones are to die for, must get that roll of XP2 shot (thanks Suz!).

Ooo, that's quite interesting. As it's free I grabbed it. it'll be interesting to see how accurate it is against my spot meter.

I use mylightmeter for the iPhone (got the pro version for the extended ISO etc), and so far, it has not failed me. It matches up with what my super ME meter says.

Thanks folks. I thought people might not like no 2, with all that OOF subject in front of the sharp bit. I do agree about the misty cathedral behind the David Hume statue; that one came out satisfyingly well. That one was indeed XP2.

The Festival was a great venue for an 85mm lens; so many cameras, people don't notice.

Kayjay, I really liked your swan. I find them the absolute devil; so appealing and then the feathers all blow out into a white mass. But yours show up very well, and as Asha (I think said), the focus control is great.

I've just got 3 rolls from 3 cameras back from AG Photo with small size scans as I wasn't expecting a lot. Although I'd already shot a roll through the Yashica Mat, the rolls from the Kiev 80 and Ensign 20 were fingers crossed :)

1) Yashica Mat - Port Sunlight

Yashica Mat by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

2) Yashica Mat - Velvia 50

3) Yashica Mat - Velvia 50

Although not from film, I shot the same images with my Iphone to compare and I think the Mat held it's own against technology that's 50 years newer :)

4) Iphone

Iphone5 shots edited in Snapseed on the phone. by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

5) Iphone

Iphone5 shots edited in Snapseed on the phone. by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Steve, d'you think the Yash ones are over-sharpened? There's a sparkiness that looks a bit odd. Interesting that the iPhone picks up more from the sky than the Yash and Velvia! But you're right, the Ensign/Acros is just wonderful, and the two Kiev shots are terrific, too.

I haven't posted much here recently, so I thought I should add some from the Festival. Most of these with Pentax MX and 85mm f/2 lens, Fuji and Ilford C41 black and white film.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Just for fun!

Chris I really like every one of those, that 85mm is clearly a great street portrait lens. One and four are particularly strong shots, nice range of black and white tones in them all, very nice work.

Like the festival shots Chris. I should have some too but I don't think there that good, rushing about at lunch time doesn't make for conducive photography.

Only way I manage to get swans is with portra, hard to really make a mess of that.

Last edited:
Steve, d'you think the Yash ones are over-sharpened? There's a sparkiness that looks a bit odd. Interesting that the iPhone picks up more from the sky than the Yash and Velvia! But you're right, the Ensign/Acros is just wonderful, and the two Kiev shots are terrific, too.

Agreed....the Iphone shots look more pleasing and a Yashica mat should slaughter an Iphone.

Back