Sony RX Series United Thread (Any RX Camera)

Love the swan Alby ;)

The pup and I had a walk yesterday to the ridgeline of the outrageous Stac Pollaidh.

Bright light and silhouettes
Loch Lurgainn and Cul Beag

Rounding the shoulder of the east top the view opens out.
First view of Cul Mor

Wispy clouds
Skye looking out from the steep path up to the ridgeline

Distant views were hampered a bit by the haze possibly from the wildfires the previous day.
Quinag and Suilven across Loch Sionascaig

Clouds, again, and Assynt landscape
Canisp and Cul Mor

Crumbly rock on the ridge with Skye watching a wee terrier climbing up
Skye on the ridgeline

By the time we'd made our way round the loop the sun was lighting up the neighbouring Cul Beag
Cul Beag

Stac Pollaidh, of course.
Stac Pollaidh from the roadside

Hi all - I’m just wondering over here from the Fuji X thread as I’m looking for a cheap camera to take on bike rides that I don’t mind breaking in a fall!

I’ve been eyeing up the original RX100 (in lieu of Fuji equivalents, given their fast overpricing in the market at the moment) and wondering if it’s worth trying to pick one up for cheap on eBay (instead of using my iPhone 12 mini which is the only other ‘camera’ I have, other than my Fuji X-T20)

Thanks in advance - and some lovely shots on here :)

Last edited:
Hi all - I’m just wondering over here from the Fuji X thread as I’m looking for a cheap camera to take on bike rides that I don’t mind breaking in a fall!

I’ve been eyeing up the original RX100 (in lieu of Fuji equivalents, given their fast overpricing in the market at the moment) and wondering if it’s worth trying to pick one up for cheap on eBay (instead of using my iPhone 12 mini which is the only other ‘camera’ I have, other than my Fuji X-T20)

Thanks in advance - and some lovely shots on here :)
I have never had the original RX100, because I decided to enter when the RX100 had the integrated viewfinder, which was with 3rd version. I bought that used here. I have also bought the RX100 v5 and RX100 v7 on eBay. I have been very happy with all of them. :)

If you think you may find the viewfinder useful, consider from v3 upwards.

Whatever version you get, budget for an additional Sony grip for more secure handling, and a couple of extra batteries. Buying used it may come with those things already. ;) I have also bought neoprene cases for the cameras on Amazon, which are a nice bit of padding for in pocket/bag.

I rarely use the viewfinder but have to admit it does come in handy at times.
The grip is a "must" in my opinion ;)
I have a neoprene case that I can clip onto my big camera bag when out with the a1 + 200-600 for taking the odd landscape when shooting wildlife.

I have never had the original RX100, because I decided to enter when the RX100 had the integrated viewfinder, which was with 3rd version. I bought that used here. I have also bought the RX100 v5 and RX100 v7 on eBay. I have been very happy with all of them. :)

If you think you may find the viewfinder useful, consider from v3 upwards.

Whatever version you get, budget for an additional Sony grip for more secure handling, and a couple of extra batteries. Buying used it may come with those things already. ;) I have also bought neoprene cases for the cameras on Amazon, which are a nice bit of padding for in pocket/bag.
Thanks for this! I will aim for a Mk3 as that sounds sensible; but as I'm keeping the costs down as much as possible it sounds like (based on specs/reviews) that Mk1s or 2s should also be fine for my purposes.

It goes without saying that if anyone has a battered RX100 they're happy to let go for pennies, let me know!

Once again - great shots on here folks; enjoying very much. Superior to smartphones in my opinion.

Thanks for this! I will aim for a Mk3 as that sounds sensible; but as I'm keeping the costs down as much as possible it sounds like (based on specs/reviews) that Mk1s or 2s should also be fine for my purposes.

It goes without saying that if anyone has a battered RX100 they're happy to let go for pennies, let me know!

Once again - great shots on here folks; enjoying very much. Superior to smartphones in my opinion.
Good choice (y)
The earlier models have a faster lens whereas the newer ones have a slower lens but more zoom ;)

It depends how many pennies. ;) My RX100Mk3 is not battered, but it is relegated to back up to the Mk5 and Mk7, and is also another timelapse option if I do multiple timelapses at the same time.

My procrastination, which I am excellent at btw, without trying, ;) has meant I still have the Mk3 after getting the other cameras. Because of that, I wasn't going to say anything, but you did ask. ;) :LOL:

I have the Time-lapse app, and Angle Shift app installed on the M3 (and Mk5), which I am not sure you can buy/install any more. I didn't get the Mk5V because they ceased support for installing the additional apps from the PlayMemories store from that camera onwards. And the reason I got the Mk7 ahead of the Mk6, was because the Mk7 added a timelapse option built into the camera. :)

It depends how many pennies. ;) My RX100Mk3 is not battered, but it is relegated to back up to the Mk5 and Mk7, and is also another timelapse option if I do multiple timelapses at the same time.

My procrastination, which I am excellent at btw, without trying, ;) has meant I still have the Mk3 after getting the other cameras. Because of that, I wasn't going to say anything, but you did ask. ;) :LOL:

I have the Time-lapse app, and Angle Shift app installed on the M3 (and Mk5), which I am not sure you can buy/install any more. I didn't get the Mk5V because they ceased support for installing the additional apps from the PlayMemories store from that camera onwards. And the reason I got the Mk7 ahead of the Mk6, was because the Mk7 added a timelapse option built into the camera. :)
I didn't realise it had an app store!

Price-wise I'm talking less than £200 (£100 would be nice, if unrealistic; although it does seem to happen on ebay); and even that would be a stretch. At the end of the day its a backup for my Fuji system that I don't want to take down a mountain on a bike - so you know, I don't even need it (not that that ever stopped any of us buying more gear...)

"Excellent" set of landscape style captures Beth, liking all of these pic's very much.

Rainbow Stairs #2
These stairs are at the opposite end of the Bon Accord shopping centre from an earlier post.
They add a bit of colour on an otherwise "driech" day
RX100M7

Rainbow Steps by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Very nice architectural style capture Mike, liking this pic' very much.

Back