Sony RX Series United Thread (Any RX Camera)

Just been looking and thought they may be worth a go but then i noticed the notches for the plate where it slots into the tripod, for the rx100 it would be better if they were on the longer face if that makes sense.
Yes, it makes sense but the plate then wouldn't be wide enough to fit any Arca clamp. If you want one that narrow then you have to accept that the clamp has to be turned 90 degrees.

Well after hiking with my Canon R5 at the weekend and really feeling the weight after a few hours and the fear of bashing it after a fall. I've have now added a RX100vii to my camera GAS!

It arrived this morning so Ill be having a play. The camera is only for travel use to save worrying about the R5 getting bashed or stolen.

Can anyone advise the best app to enable me to upload from the camera to my iPad when I'm away from home?

The Sony Imaging Edge Mobile app works well enough, though not all that quickly, using WiFi Direct. It also allows you to control the camera remotely.
Do you have a usb-c iPad Garry? I do and l just plug in a usb hub with card reader in mine and transfer files over like that Straight into photos.

First time using my new to me RX100vii and when shooting in raw at widest lens I'm getting marked vignetting. Not experienced this that I can recall on my previous RX versions. Is this normal? The Jpgs don't do this

Mine definitely doesn't do that.
Thanks for the reply. I've found it easily removed in DXO but looking on Windows its obvious and as you have not experienced it I may need to return the camera

Thanks for the reply. I've found it easily removed in DXO but looking on Windows its obvious and as you have not experienced it I may need to return the camera
Im using photoshop / lightroom if that makes a difference.

Mine definitely doesn't do that.
Can anyone else check if there rx100vii does this at the widest point? I suspect its the lens and small sensor but I want to ensure mine is not faulty.

Can't say I have noticed any vignetting at the wide end on mine and I have the lansmate adapter ring attached too, I will take a closer look tomorrow in the daylight Paul with some test shots.

Just for clarity I only get this shooting in RAW

Just back from a 10 night cruise in the med, where my RX100vi was only camera (other than my iPhone13 Pro). It performed flawlessly (as usual) and is so light and compact, it's honestly all the travel camera I need.

However....I did manage to drop it in Pisa on our last day - steaming!!!! I could kick myself. :headbang:. My own fault, I was trying to do too many things at once. It landed on the bottom from right hand corner - some minor cosmetic damage and the battery/SD card door now stands a very slightly proud (but shuts ok), and luckily still works perfectly.

Ferry heading into Civitavecchia

Ferry by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Our ride for the cruise

DSC03346 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Kotor rooftops

Kotor rooftops by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Pisa. Just after I dropped my camera!

DSC03569 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Can anyone else check if there rx100vii does this at the widest point? I suspect its the lens and small sensor but I want to ensure mine is not faulty.
Tried out the rx100 vii and I don't have the vignetting problem either.

First time using my new to me RX100vii and when shooting in raw at widest lens I'm getting marked vignetting. Not experienced this that I can recall on my previous RX versions. Is this normal? The Jpgs don't do this
I'm sure I've seen a thread on DPReview about this. Basically, the processing software knows to apply lens correction to the ARWs so the vignetting isn't seen. The JPGs get it in the camera. You might find that the unprocessed ARWs are slightly wider than the JPGs.

Last edited:
Tried out the rx100 vii and I don't have the vignetting problem either.
Thank you.
I'm sure I've seen a thread on DPReview about this. Basically, the processing software knows to apply lens correction so the vignetting isn't seen. You might find that the unprocessed ARWs are slightly wider than the JPGs.
My googling is getting mixed information. Yes, it does appear that the raw files depend on what software you use as to if the vignetting shows or not. However, there are many posters that say as did @ajophotog that they don't have this problem.

Alby hasn't said how he's viewing the raw files. I have files from my RX100 VII taken at 9mm but not sure how to view them without PSE butting in.

I don't have any vignetting problems with image shot wide open, at full zoom, with the RX100M7, opening with Windows Photos, Adobe Camera Raw, or LightRoom.
Thank you for this info

Do you mean like this? (shot on my RX100vi in RAW only - quick shot out of bedroom window)

When I load into Affinity Photo 2 (and most other apps) the software removes automatically, or if it doesn't can be done manually.

screenshot.jpg

Do you mean like this? (shot on my RX100vi in RAW only - quick shot out of bedroom window)

When I load into Affinity Photo 2 (and most other apps) the software removes automatically, or if it doesn't can be done manually.

View attachment 402134
Yes, that it. Probably not a fault of the camera. But all to do with lens and sensor. There has to be some compromise with the design. Some of my software does not remove it but some does. As long as its not the camera I can probably live with it!

Thank you.

My googling is getting mixed information. Yes, it does appear that the raw files depend on what software you use as to if the vignetting shows or not. However, there are many posters that say as did @ajophotog that they don't have this problem.
Looking into this furter and after what Jonathan suggested I opened the file in my FastRawViewer and yes it does vignette. I imagine using Lightroom does indeed remove it automactically. ;)
Hope this helps in some way.

Yes, that it. Probably not a fault of the camera. But all to do with lens and sensor. There has to be some compromise with the design. Some of my software does not remove it but some does. As long as its not the camera I can probably live with it!
I don’t often shoot in RAW, but as it’s easily managed in post when I do it’s not a proble, and hopefully can reassure you that your camera is ok (y)

Finally got to use the RX100VII at a concert tonight. :) I went to see Lloyd Cole at the Liverpool Philharmonic. I was way up the Circle.

This was at maximum 200mm zoom. f4.5, 1/250th and ISO3200. Highlights reduced, and a touch of sharpening and noise reduction.
R7A09959resize.jpg
f4.5, 1/250th and ISO3200. Highlights reduced, and a touch of sharpening and noise reduction.R7B00424resize.jpg
I always try to get the subject seen though others cameras/phones when the take pics in front of me. ;):LOL:
f4.5, 1/250th and ISO3200. Highlights reduced, and a touch of sharpening and noise reduction.
R7B00463resize.jpg
f4.5, 1/250th and ISO3200. Highlights reduced, and a touch of sharpening and noise reduction.
R7B00489resize.jpg

Last edited:
A few quick holiday snaps I took in Rome with the RX100Vii. Overall I'm pleased with the camera and its much easier to carry around than my R5!. The photos are a lot sharper than I expected. The indoor ones are low light and look ok. One issue I found is that no matter which metering mode I used for portraits. The face was very underexposed, even using centre spot metering. I suspect perhaps due to how bright the sun was outside?

DSC00043 by AnastieByte, on Flickr

DSC00071 by AnastieByte, on Flickr

DSC00044 by AnastieByte, on Flickr

Played with the sky on this one as the clear blue was getting boring lol!

DSC00042 by AnastieByte, on Flickr

DSC00033 by AnastieByte, on Flickr

Great set, I do like 00042 ;)

Back