Street Challenge: Finished. 340+ Images :)

You could perhaps make something of the 'linen war' as well :LOL:

We have until Sunday Evening to get that ONE GREAT STREET PHOTO.

I thought it was just one photo from each participant?

I'm off out later to have a go with mine, armed with the D700 and 85mm (1.8 - Can't afford the 1.4.......... YET!!), will be a bit of a baptism of fire, what with me being the shy retiring type :)

Wedding Hack your work is excellent, have you ever shot anything like this before? There really is some standout work in those photos posted.

Completely disagree with the comment about that balls brothers photo. The composition is spot on. How would it be a photo atall if they filled the frame!! If anything the uncropped original if shot with the angles adjusted a bit would be even better.

Im not sure if you realise how good #8 is either, in my opinion the best of the set. The lines are perfect and the man in the lift is obvious whilst remaining subtle in the environment. Brilliant!

I thought it was just one photo from each participant?

I'm off out later to have a go with mine, armed with the D700 and 85mm (1.8 - Can't afford the 1.4.......... YET!!), will be a bit of a baptism of fire, what with me being the shy retiring type :)

Technically he didn't say post one photo. He meant you have to get that singular amazing photo, the one that stands out from the rest. Seems to be ok to post 20.

Lovin' your pics Pete, 6 and 14 do it for me.

Ta :)

I don't like rules, and I hate being perceived as the one who makes em. Just go wild guys, post 100 shots if it makes you happy. There can only be one winning shot though :D

Gary.

I don't like rules, and I hate being perceived as the one who makes em. Just go wild guys, post 100 shots if it makes you happy. There can only be one winning shot though :D

Gary.

lol, you will be told what rules to break!

Michael.

Fantastic thread idea Gary ... amazing input so far! :clap:

Two of Wedding Hacks really stand out for me so far, the much favourited 'bus shot' and the sassy girl on the escalator!

Not sure Ill get chance to participate but Ill be watching the thread with great interest... keep going guys! (y)

Why not email some of the street photographers mentioned on the other thread and ask them to judge it ?

Great stuff Pete, #5 & #6 stand out for me.

I thought we could get the lovely mods, to create a voting poll? It is Xmas, and Marcel loves me!

Gary.

Great stuff Pete, #5 & #6 stand out for me.

Cheers dude. Can't believe the closeness you got with that 34mm. Mine are a step back from the subject, quite a few steps really. You must have been right in their faces at 34mm.

I don't really have a chance just now to read these threads in full but I get the Jist and I think as ever Gary you are proving to be an inspiration.

As it happens I'm going to Aberdeen tonight and have till about 1am to kill so will maybe take the chance to be taking photos.. so i might venture into the street. As i posted in another post I have a bit of a phobia about being seen taking photos in public that I need to get over. Not sure what I'll end up with but it will be good to go out with a purpose :)

Scared already.

Cheers dude. Can't believe the closeness you got with that 34mm. Mine are a step back from the subject, quite a few steps really. You must have been right in their faces at 34mm.

The longer I've been shooting people, the closer I find myself getting to them.

Two things always stick in my mind :

Robert Capa - 'If your photos aren't good enough, get closer'

Leon - 'The rifle is the first weapon you learn to use, because you can keep far from the client. The more experience you have, the closer you get.' :D

The longer I've been shooting people, the closer I find myself getting to them.

Two things always stick in my mind :

Robert Capa - 'If your photos aren't good enough, get closer'

Leon - 'The rifle is the first weapon you learn to use, because you can keep far from the client. The more experience you have, the closer you get.' :D

Very true. Maybe I just haven't been doing this long enough. For events and things I'll stuck in with a wide angle lens. Its an event, its accepted. For street I'm still finding myself standing back. I try to look past people as if I'm not photographing them but that would be hard to do if I stand in their face :)

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Can I have you gear? :D

My daughter not to well so watching grandkids so have to run with my ones already in .

I think my technique will be to compose a shot.. then wait for my victim to walk into my scope ;) Then I am not pointing my "rifle" at anyone.. they are just entering the firing line.

I think my technique will be to compose a shot.. then wait for my victim to walk into my scope ;) Then I am not pointing my "rifle" at anyone.. they are just entering the firing line.

Not easy, they all move out the way, or stop!!!

I've lost my remote control too.. I've had the control with a dead battery for months.. found a battery.. lost the control.

70-300 it is then or I'll get a fleece made up that just says.. "Official Photographer"

There seems to be quite a bit of night stuff being posted - while this is easier in terms of being able to blend in, it does limit certain sneaky techniques as you have to shoot wide open.

During the day, try setting a reasonable aperture, f8 say, and prefocussing on the area your victim is going to come into, then look away, leaving your camera pointed at that spot, looking back when you want to take the shot. Or be really hardcore and shooting without looking :)

As Gary says, people will usually move or stop if they see someone taking a shot - they're not usually concerned or even realise you're shooting them, they're just being polite.

Pete, really like your set number 8 is one of my favourites - the light behind him and the expression on his face make him look like some kind of heavenly reindeer!

Weddinghack, love yours too and sooo close, arggrhhh!

Byker28i - well spotted!:LOL:

I live in this place called parkgate which is inexplicabley a local daytrip destination - people flock here to eat ice cream or stuff their faces with chips- whatever the weather. Anyother day i'd look out my window and there would be hoards of people....today there was just one solitary cyclist!!!!!

do you think people have cottoned on they are no longer safe from the cameras??:LOL:

I've lost my remote control too.. I've had the control with a dead battery for months.. found a battery.. lost the control.

70-300 it is then or I'll get a fleece made up that just says.. "Official Photographer"

o_O Remote? Fleece?

Pete, really like your set number 8 is one of my favourites - the light behind him and the expression on his face make him look like some kind of heavenly reindeer!

Cheers. Fave of mine too.

I live in this place called parkgate which is inexplicabley a local daytrip destination - people flock here to eat ice cream or stuff their faces with chips-

I love Parkgate. Great chips, great ice-creams.

I didn't spot the Westworld sign until today. Thought that was pretty clever of me ;)

and I thought you only did really brightly coloured HDR rubish;)

Standard in this thread is way to high for me, I was going to go out with a roll of film at lunch time but flat batteries have forced me to chicken out.

Indeed. I'm an asker and a doer. One email drafted and sent to Mr Meyerowitz. I'll let you know if I hear anything back :p

You beat me to it, I'm just emailing some others.

:clap: A fab idea Duncan! Lets hope at least one of them has some free time to help out a bit :D I tried to find an email for Bruce as well but couldn't come up with anything.

There seems to be quite a bit of night stuff being posted - while this is easier in terms of being able to blend in, it does limit certain sneaky techniques as you have to shoot wide open.

Aye. I'm just trying to get the most from Xmas as all the lights make for some lovely bokeh this time of year. Can do day time f/8 anytime :)

Indeed. I'm an asker and a doer. One email drafted and sent to Mr Meyerowitz. I'll let you know if I hear anything back :p

Cool :D

and I thought you only did really brightly coloured HDR rubish;)

You shouldn't listen to rumours ;)

I had a go at this myself but with no great success. It would appear I also have a problem pointing the camera at strangers close up. Managed to get this sneaky Santa though.

3120498998_e2c3defd4d_o.jpg

Got some! Little less apprehensive about lifting the camera to my eye this time, which I was pleased about

Back