weekly susiejb 52 /2014 Support

I couldn't resist this one...I glanced at the pond last night and the reflection was perfect....

14007172424_462bc94ef5_b.jpg

Thanks Graham....that's good that you like them :).....I did try hard with them. I saw your reply regarding the four images, I have some of the jumping one that I think I could do that with...I really fancy having a go.

Try it - it's the only way to learn! (y).....

Forgive me saying but I am imagining the jumping at the wave one might not be the easiest to start with... not much of a frame of reference to align each shot to, the waves moving in between each shot will mean careful cutting around the body on each, and I'm guessing there will be overlap on the body in each frame, which again means careful cutting before masking rather than painting with big soft brush. As well as having to decide which layer should go on top of which.

Mine was easy as there was no overlap (close between the 3rd and final frame.

Plenty of tutorials and ideas around the web.... Multiplicity tutorial photoshop would be the phrase to start with. :)

Try it - it's the only way to learn! (y).....

Forgive me saying but I am imagining the jumping at the wave one might not be the easiest to start with... not much of a frame of reference to align each shot to, the waves moving in between each shot will mean careful cutting around the body on each, and I'm guessing there will be overlap on the body in each frame, which again means careful cutting before masking rather than painting with big soft brush. As well as having to decide which layer should go on top of which.

Mine was easy as there was no overlap (close between the 3rd and final frame.

Plenty of tutorials and ideas around the web.... Multiplicity tutorial photoshop would be the phrase to start with. :)

Thanks Graham....mmmm I didn't think of that ...the wave may be a problem....I was meaning the one jumping in the air not the crashing wave one....I will take a look. I don't have Photoshop...I will have to do it in paint.net or maybe Gimp...I haven't looked into that one much. My computer would never handle Photoshop....it's ancient.

Last edited:
yep - the jumping one I meant too.....

I used to use GIMP - quite a steep learning curve though.. esp at the start with layers etc. but once learned, does give scope for creativity.. (Check lynne's @blondie606 thread if you don;t believe me) :)

Natural - love your thinking its not perfect but fits the theme

Action - 2nd image for me nice colours in there and quite like the reflection you have captured

Mono- I quite like them reminds me of bones ( your not a secret serial killer are you?) :)

Hi, I like the first one of the flower pics, very unusual and the lighting certainly adds to the illusion

Natural ... can feel the heat, and smell the paella.

Action ... plenty of that ... I bet that water wasn't warm either. Both very well captured.

Mono ... always like to see you getting creative with your black BG and lights.

;)

Hi, I like the first one of the flower pics, very unusual and the lighting certainly adds to the illusion

Thanks Alan...I did mess about for ages to try and get the lighting right.

Natural ... can feel the heat, and smell the paella.

Action ... plenty of that ... I bet that water wasn't warm either. Both very well captured.

Mono ... always like to see you getting creative with your black BG and lights.

;)

Ta d00d :) ....glad you popped in and took a look.

excellent - have to say you've probably picked really hard images to work from - all those overlapping legs and arms!!

Well done susie. :clap:

Well done on linking the 3 images Susie, looks great (y), layers is on mi 'to do' list :D

Mono- another great idea Susie, loads of detail in the reflection (y)

excellent - have to say you've probably picked really hard images to work from - all those overlapping legs and arms!!

Well done susie. :clap:

I just had to give it a go ....couldnt resist :) thanks for the inspiration !

Well done on linking the 3 images Susie, looks great (y), layers is on mi 'to do' list :D

Mono- another great idea Susie, loads of detail in the reflection (y)

Thanks for looking Phil.....I did it in paint.net a free programme ..... more fiddly than difficult.....but good fun :)

Susie .. that overlay stuff is clever indeed. The selection process must have kept you quiet for an hour or two. o_O

Hi Susie. The pond reflection is a lovely shot and I don't blame you for not being able to resist it, but I can't help preferring the flowers and I wouldn't like to choose between the two separate shots. They're so dark and mysterious - a really unusual and effective subject well shot (y)

I'm loving what you're doing with the layering too!

Hi Susie

NAtural....you['ve caught the warmth & colors of the flames really well (y)

Action......the 1st image of the splashing in the waves works really well...he looks like he's really enjoying himself (y)

Your 2 multiplicity shots are great :clap:-not attempted anything like that as looks far to confusing...can't crit either but prefer the 2nd one as there's a bit more space between the boys if that makes sense ?

Mono.....hmmm, really can't "see" what they are ,sorry :-(

Last edited:
Hi Susie. The pond reflection is a lovely shot and I don't blame you for not being able to resist it, but I can't help preferring the flowers and I wouldn't like to choose between the two separate shots. They're so dark and mysterious - a really unusual and effective subject well shot (y)

I'm loving what you're doing with the layering too!

Thanks Elaine...I really like those carnivorous plants....quite fascinating things. I just seem to have had a really nice week with my pics last week.....yet I have fiddled and faffed with twisted and not come up with much :wideyed:

Hi Susie

NAtural....you['ve caught the warmth & colors of the flames really well (y)

Action......the 1st image of the splashing in the waves works really well...he looks like he's really enjoying himself (y)

Your 2 multiplicity shots are great :clap:-not attempted anything like that as looks far to confusing...can't crit either but prefer the 2nd one as there's a bit more space between the boys if that makes sense ?

Mono.....hmmm, really can't "see" what they are ,sorry :-(

Hi Lynne thanks for look and taking the time to comment...I wish now I had taken more time when I took those action shots ...I do need them more spaced out .

Hi Susie.
Mono.... #1 for me love it :)

Love the reflection :)

love the shots of your grandson(y)(y)

Hi Judi...thank you for the encouragement....very much appreciated :)

Hi Susie, I feel it would work better if you could have isolated the stem with the twisted bits on
nice simple idea though

Hi Susie
twisted.. nice simple shot that depicts the theme very well(y)

thanks Judi :)

Hi Susie, I feel it would work better if you could have isolated the stem with the twisted bits on
nice simple idea though

Hi Allan....yes you are right, I looked at it again earlier and thought exactly the same thing...I had so many ideas this one was a sort of reserve shot so I didn't pay too much attention to it ....but I couldnt get anything else right so I put this one on, I should have taken more time before posting....I will try and do an improved version later in the week.

Last edited:
i agree - the couple of straight stems don;t add anything to it really, nice and sharp on the suject and separated from the BG nicely by focus and colour.

2nd image certainly has more impact Susie, good detail (y) 1st image, like the bokeh, just enough to see its still greenery (y) would probably work better for me with a tighter crop on the twisted stems and as mentioned, a bit of cloning to get rid of one or two of the distracting 'straighter' stems :)

As has been said above, a tighter crop on the 1st image might have helped. I really like the second one though (y)

i agree - the couple of straight stems don;t add anything to it really, nice and sharp on the suject and separated from the BG nicely by focus and colour.

Twisted - nice find and fits the theme.

2nd image certainly has more impact Susie, good detail (y) 1st image, like the bokeh, just enough to see its still greenery (y) would probably work better for me with a tighter crop on the twisted stems and as mentioned, a bit of cloning to get rid of one or two of the distracting 'straighter' stems :)

As has been said above, a tighter crop on the 1st image might have helped. I really like the second one though (y)

Nice DOF for the first twisted and a whole lot of twisted in the second image... really fills the frame...

Like the second image, good find (y)

Thank you all for the comments...all feedback is very much appreciated :) I did retake the first one but somehow it still lacked oomph o_O so I didn't repost it. I was much more pleased with the second one.

Last edited:
Hi Susie

2nd twisted image for me as well...... sepia tones suit it but I'd love to have seen a contrasty black n white version......

Hi Lynne ...thanks for looking....the black and white is lurking on the computer somewhere o_O.....I keep promising myself that I WILL sort out my photo's ...it was going to be a job for last winter :rolleyes:

Susie
Twisted - #2 has more impact - simple and on theme and good focus and detail. #1 has a bit too much distraction with the b/g stems, altho the actual twisted stem is attractive

Thanks for looking Alan...glad you liked the layers...must get some more suitable pics to try that again....I preferred the second twisted image too :)

Back