Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

Does anyone know if this lens would fit and work well with a Nikon D3200? I don't have one, but am considering one, or is it a bit of an expensive lens to be putting on a £300 body?

Does anyone know if this lens would fit and work well with a Nikon D3200? I don't have one, but am considering one, or is it a bit of an expensive lens to be putting on a £300 body?

The lens is arguably more important than the body. A better body may help u get better pics (ie a d610 would be better at higher ISO than yours which depending on what you shoot and the conditions may be vital)

Anyone any idea when this is available for Nikon?

Had a quick look, on Tamron's site, but couldn't see any date.

They are aiming for mid april according to the guy on the stand. I had a go with the lens and considering the poor light and other constraints thought it performed well. I will be getting one when released for the nikon.

So, a question for all the owners of this lens that have also had or used a Sigma 150-500 OS. Is the IQ from the Tamron better, worse or about the same as the Sigma. I've got a very sharp Sigma that I'm very happy with and was wondering if it's worth changing to the Tamron. I know I'd gain an extra 100mm, but is that enough to justify the outlay.

My thoughts too- I have a very sharp Sigma 150-500mm - I'm considering the extra reach on the Tamron maybe worth a punt -still on Pre-Order at wex though (sony Fit)

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-150-600mm-f5-6-3-sp-di-vc-usd-lens-sony-fit/p1547627

Les ;)

i have the 50-500 sig but like the look of the tamy but will hold on to my sig for now as i like the thought i can go from 50 mm -500mm without changing the lens

Now I'm a VERY ANGRY customer. It's more than a month and my lens is nowhere to be seen. Everytime I speak to Intro 2020 they say it's out of their hands and they can't do anything about it. When I said I should have been issued with replacement they said they have none in stock! How ridiculous is that?! No replacement, no money back and no lens! I'm very keen to take this case to court. I just need to find out what's the process and cost involved.
My advice to all of you - avoid Tamron service and in case of any issues, return the lens for full refund.

That is absolutely dreadful mate, I sense a seething anger in your post,rightly so.

No way will I even consider this lens until they get the glitches sorted out.

Can't understand why they should claim that it is out of their hands.

Who did you buy it from? They should be your first port of call. Have they been chasing it up for you?

I suggest a call to Trading Standards would be in order. They would know the ins and outs of a court case. (Although I suspect it would be prohibitively expensive)

Last edited:
According to Intro2020 they sent the lens to Germany as it's impossible to service it within the UK. Fine, I understand it's a newly manufactured lens but It's been there for more than a month! I'll be contacting Trading Standards.

Edit

Just contacted Intro2020 again and they said that lens has been sent out from Germany last Thursday. Don't know if they're trying to buy more time but I'll give them another two days and see.

Last edited:
The retailer gives you a refund, they sold you a faulty item, it is their responsibility to sort it out with you. THEN they go to the manufacturer with THEIR faulty goods.
AFAIK that isnt strictly speaking true now in this particular case, if you accept an item is faulty and agree to it being repaired you have in legal terms "accepted it with its known faults" and from that moment on are on sticky ground in terms of getting a refund. In cases where you think you may want a refund you are far better demanding a refund at the outset and sticking to your guns, sale of goods act etc, fit for purpose etc.
Agreed its the retailer and not the manufacturer or their agent that you should be negotiating with.

The thing is, what's the chance I'll be issued with another faulty lens? I've tested this one on the day of purchase and it seemed fine. It's after two or three days I've realised something is not 100% right and it's Tamron who actually confirmed AF issues.
That would probably be better than getting the original lens back repaired I guess, you would be entitled to have a fit-for-purpose item for a reasonable period of time, 2/3 days isnt a reasonable period by anyones's standards so therefore could then get a refund (I suppose).

I had my D7000 for 11 months. Took it back and got another because the AF was faulty. In between that time I got it "fixed".
A decent "shop" going above and beyond, strictly speaking they didnt have to, but then they would have lost you as a future customer I guess.

where did you buy the lens from is it not eu law that within 7 days if your not happy with the item you can return it for a refund ie (not fit-for-purpose ) clause

i keep hearing more and more about this lens, (bad things) i think i'll give it a miss for now. tamron not exactly top of my list for lens manufacturers. :(

@sthwild..............any update fella?

@sthwild..............any update fella?

Just got the lens yesterday and today I'm working, so didn't have enough time to play properly. First quick test shows improvement in terms of focusing on stationary objects. Before when you refocus from nearer object to further one and other way around the lens, instead of going from further to nearer, would go to infinity first and then back. Now it all seems to work perfectly. I'm still going to try BIF over the weekend.

Just got the lens yesterday and today I'm working, so didn't have enough time to play properly. First quick test shows improvement in terms of focusing on stationary objects. Before when you refocus from nearer object to further one and other way around the lens, instead of going from further to nearer, would go to infinity first and then back. Now it all seems to work perfectly. I'm still going to try BIF over the weekend.
Thanks bud, could you let us know the results please?

I am very interested in this lens.But want to be sure it is capable enough.

At £200 more than they sell for at wex, parks, cameraworld, jessops etc.. I'll give it a miss and wait on the stock getting sorted.
ha ha did'nt spot that no wonder they have them in stock then :) its a sellers market when no one else has got them though;)

Last edited:
ha ha did'nt spot that no wonder they have them in stock then :) its a sellers market when no one else has got them though;)

Or not, with the controversy surrounding the lens!

Or not, with the controversy surrounding the lens!
quite agree seems people are not having a great deal of success with them slow af/ faults and not much good in low light from what peeps have been saying. as i said earlier tamron not my first choice for third party lenses. cheers mike

I'm sure we're only hearing of a small percentage of bad apples which is to be expected with any new product and that there's many happy owners out there we aren't hearing about.

After you ... :D

I'm sure we're only hearing of a small percentage of bad apples which is to be expected with any new product and that there's many happy owners out there we aren't hearing about.
i'd like to see someone saying how great this lens is phil, but hav'nt seen it yet. cheers mike.

i'd like to see someone saying how great this lens is phil, but hav'nt seen it yet. cheers mike.

Apart from AF issue this lens is actually great. Build quality, contrast, sharpness, stabilisation. The other thing I'm worried about is this lens with 1D body on a gimbal. It's a bit too light I think.
Anyway, once I test it on BIF and in Cad West, I'll give my final verdict.

The lens gets a very favourable review in the April Digital SLR Photography that I browsed through the other day.

Back