The 2014 Season F1 Thread

Name
Damien
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, despite Vettel's incredible run of form dulling things for me during the second half of last season, I'm already missing F1 and can't wait for the next race on the 16th of March!!

Huge changes to the rules should shake things up nicely.....well at least until Adrian Newey gets a grip on the changes and Red Bull start winning everything again!!

Here's the latest bit of news pinched from the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25310466

Seems a bit of a weird move imo, but time will tell, I guess.....:shrug:

Not a fan of double points in the last round. It seems a little Micky mouse for what is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport.

I keep reading that the cars are going to be very ugly. With the current F1 design ethos and the ugliness of the DW12 I'm not sure there is such a thing as a good looking single seat race car anymore.

I keep reading that the cars are going to be very ugly. With the current F1 design ethos and the ugliness of the DW12 I'm not sure there is such a thing as a good looking single seat race car anymore.

I read an article the other day trying to explain how the new cars will look with a mock-up based on the rule changes (diffuser size etc) but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.....it wasn't pretty, especially the nose!! :puke:

As long as they won't look anything like the Indycars... boy, are those things ugly!
biggrin1.gif

A quick google "F1 cars 2014" shows some... strange... designs though?!
scratch2.gif

I read an article the other day trying to explain how the new cars will look with a mock-up based on the rule changes (diffuser size etc) but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.....it wasn't pretty, especially the nose!! :puke:

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/ Try on here some good articles on the power train and the shapes of things to come
Should be a good season ??? MGU-H, MGU-K, DRS, Tyres even a mystery to Pirelli, a small can of fuel and double points in that fantastic overtaking venue Abu Dabby?, whats not to look forward too
Scalectric is looking good oh no thats formula E isnt it
Just out of interest if double points had been applied 2008 Ferrari would have won 2012 ferrari would have won 2013 ferrari would have been 2nd in the constructers

Power train = MGU-K +MGU-H +ICE+TC+ES+CE and only 5 of each can be used in a season anymore and a penalty applies

The formula e cars look quite nice.

And hopefully mclaren will be somewhere near the top as well

The formula e cars look quite nice.

And hopefully mclaren will be somewhere near the top as well
Not if Ferrari and berni have anything to do with the rules they wont Maybe they could award double points to the circuits that suit Ferrari
What does FIA stand for again ???

So Perez and his millions are officially in at Force India, and Di Resta is scrapping around for a reserve driver spot anywhere that'll have him.....or more likely a return to touring cars.

I want to like Paul, but I can't help finding him a bit boring.....he has that Andy Murray misery about him imo.

Di Resta will be off away to the usa or as you say touring cars (then there may be a suprise, it is Fantasy 1 )
Cost capping wont even help lower teams and they will have to rely on paid drivers Cost capping wont work anyway there are too many cheats in F1
The end conclusion is there will be a lot of rich in sponsorship semi talented drivers in the future Might make for close racing though once you get rid of talent and introduce daft rules

I would expect Paul Di Resta to go to Indycars, were he can fill the seat recently vacated by his cousin, who can help him adapt to life in the US of A.

Double points - I've not heard of anyone approving of the idea, unless its coupled with something that makes double points worthwhile, such as driving twice the distance. Le Mans is double points, but it is 4 times as long as the rest of the races.

Sutil has signed for Sauber.

I don't like the double points either. I'd prefer if they could play a 'joker' and choose the race they want to get double points for. Then you just take your chances on the day.

Any one got to grips with the power train penalties ???
As I see it there are six componants that have to last for 5 changes per season
If one exceeds 5 by one a 10 grid penalty applies
If any of the others then exceed 5 by one only a 5 place penalty applies
If any one exceeds 6 by one then a ten place penalty applies
If any of the others exceeds 6 one then a 5 place penalty applies
and so on
Nowt like a clear rule like the 5 second penalty, if they figure out where it will be taken

Well, they're no longer just engines, the new for 2014 rules mean the batteries and motors play a much bigger role than simply 7ish seconds of extra oomph.

The 6 elements that make up the 'drivetrain' are considered to be:-
- the internal combustion engine
- the generator that turns motion into battery power
- the generator that turns heat into battery power
- the power storage unit - either batteries, or super-capacitors or a mixture of both
- the turbocharger
- the electronics

Obviously each aspect on its own is a pretty complicated system!

The team get 5 of each to use without penalty, in the same way that the team get a quota of engines and gearboxes so its not that far removed, but as reliability will be a much bigger factor for 2014 since the introduction of pard ferme regulations qualifying and race, it will be interesting to see how it will go.

the mgu-h (heat recovery) and the Mgu-k (kinetic recovery) are linked to a max of 120kw (the rules for the K but unlimited for the H ) that can be harvested, approx 160 bhp
Thats some boost, although some of that will be automatic from the H (there may be a driver bypass) to eliminate turbo lag
The stated time (worked out by clever people ) for max boost that can be used would be 33.3 secs before the ES (storage unit) would be flat but that in f1 is quite a time and harvesting would be going on within that time
They can use 60kw for 66.6 secs or any combo of power and time within the 120kw 33.3 sec ratio
there is a lot of room for jiggery pokery here
The penalties are not straight forward for failures after 5 , Why is nothing so simple not straight forward
I still think that the harvesting for kers in 2013 was used to limit wheel spin (dare I say traction control) and red bull was the master of that last year (were all the kers failures on webbers car the product of breakdowns or experiments going wrong) their cars were coming out of corners a lot faster in the second half than most, which meant they could get the power down quicker
The cars next year are far more torquey (reputably) and this would be a very useful tool
After saying that if Seb looks to be running away with the championship expect more dumb rules to be applied to slow him down to Marussa speeds

I want to like Paul, but I can't help finding him a bit boring.....he has that Andy Murray misery about him imo.

....Both very talented but I'm glad to learn I'm not the only person who thinks that about them both!

Lots of people really dislike Vettel but if you've watched enough of his interviews and seen him on BBC's Red Button aftershow you'll realise he's got a great sense of humour. Of course he is ruthless on track - They all are, they're out to win FFS!

Worth following f1 doctor on twitter for intelligent and informed coverage of the issue. Initial news this am said it was serious. Then French news said it was 'pas grave' a bit later so looks like they're back to where they started.

Hopefully they'll reduce the swelling and he'll come out the far side.

At least he is young and fit physically, which has got to help.

Yup! I'm not so young and far less fit. OK, the bruising on my brain wasn't caused by acute trauma but there was still (as the OT put it) "gross insult" to the frontal lobe and the whole thing was pushed backwards.

I didnt like Schumacher in his first stint in F1, but his return showed a different side to the man and I really changed my opinion of him. I really hope he comes out of this intact. I think the doctors have it in hand but fingers crossed.

I never liked Irvine but with no particular reason.

Schumi was controversial on track but which successful F1 driver isn't at some stage in their career?

As Matt says, he has shown the person he really is in his more recent years and he doesn't have the good sense of humour of his friend Seb Vettel but I think Schumi is a good guy and really wish him full recovery, and especially for the sake of his family. I lost a son so I know what it feels like.

What's the latest on Schumi?

Still in an induced coma, stable but critical; according to the last news report I heard. I think it could be a long time before his doctors will venture a prognosis.

I share your thoughts and wishes for him.

The problem with neuro surgery as we were told on Williams neuro ops is that although the op can be successful medically you can have a completely changed personality after the recovery. I always liked him as his skill was undoubted but in his second stint, as said above, he showed more of the real Schumi.

Pasta Maldo has a faster car and has picked number 13
Oh dear

Pasta Maldo has a faster car and has picked number 13
Oh dear
from what I've found so far, if anyone's interested

Reasons for the driver numbers

Vettel - 5 - used in karting and was the number he won his first title with. Also good marketing with V being 5 in Roman numerals
Ricciardo - 3 - used in karting and also a big Dale Earnhardt fan
Hamilton - 44 - used in karting and coincidentally is the sum total of all his F1 car numbers so far
Rosberg - 6 - number worn by his dad, Keke, when he won the title in '82
Alonso - 14 - used in karting
Raikkonen - 7 - the number he had last year. No special reason
Grosjean - 8 - no reason given yet
Maldonado - 13 - no reason given yet but 13 is lucky in Venezuela
Button - 22 - the number he won the title with in 2009
Magnussen - 20 - the number he won the Formula Renault 3.5 title with in 2013
Hulkenberg - 27 - no reason given yet
Perez - 11 - used in karting
Sutil - 99 - he wanted the highest number you could get because 'in my life it's only the maximum'
Gutierrez - 21 - no reason given yet apart from 'my lucky number'
Vergne - 25 - used in karting
Kvyat - 26 - no reason given yet but he was born on the 26th
Massa - 19 - no reason given yet but it was the first number used by his idol Ayrton Senna in F1
Bottas - 77 - no reason given but seems to be marketing for Bo77as
Bianchi - 17 - no reason given but was his 4th choice as 7, 27 and 77 were taken so obviously has something for 'lucky 7'.
Chilton - 4 - no reason given but seems to be thinking of marketing with M4X

Vettal will probably run with No1 until someone else becomes world champion then he will revert to 5
The problem seems to be going to see the numbers on the helmets lets hope they are big and up front (as stupid as that will look )

Surely they will just be on the front of the cars? Like the 1-23 of previous years?

Not sure about that as that is valuable sponsership space

Rule 21.2 says it must be clearly visable from the front of the car and on the drivers helmet
but
Rule 21.3 says the name or the embelm must be on the nose

Reading that it could be on the rear wing as long as you can see it from the front

So if nowts clear its back to the onbord cameras colours

Last edited:
"The famously unemotional Raikkonen said he picked seven because "it's the number I already had last year and I saw no reason to change it"." :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back