The 2014 Season F1 Thread

8mpg from an F1 car is very impressive. I did some testing at Ty Croes a few years ago in Ferrari 575M and that got down to 5 ish mpg, even 4 ish for some laps...

Assuming Nod's calculations are correct, that's insanely good! 750+bhp from the fuel consumption of a traditional 280 bhp engined single seater! Although they haven't quite perfected things yet while the regenerated heat occasionally sets the bodywork on fire!

Last edited:
Pretty sure my calculations are correct but can't vouch for the figures used. I took the lap distance from the post in this thread and found the fuel usage figures on either Autosport or PitPass. I used an app to do the conversions from SI to imperial and another app to do the sum.

Ive just seen this quote
We want to see real sport again,” F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport, “and not interference with each little incident.”
From the man that wanted artifical rain, artifical overtaking and tyres that wore out
What a guy

Oh yeah Bernie is a piece of work alright... But without him F1 would have died a long time ago..

FORMULA 1 PIRELLI MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2014

10_Hungary_E_72DPI.jpg

Budapest
Race Date: 27 Jul 2014
Circuit Name: Hungaroring
First Grand Prix: 1986
Number of Laps: 70
Circuit Length: 4.381 km
Race Distance: 306.630 km
Lap Record: 1:19.071 - M Schumacher (2004)

UK Times
Fri 25 July 2014
Practice 1 09:00 - 10:30
Practice 2 13:00 - 14:30
Sat 26 July 2014
Practice 3 10:00 - 11:00
Qualifying 13:00
Sun 27 July 2014
Race 13:00

Previous Winners
2013 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes Budapest
2012 Lewis Hamilton McLaren Budapest
2011 Jenson Button McLaren Budapest
2010 Mark Webber Red Bull Budapest
2009 Lewis Hamilton McLaren Budapest
2008 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren Budapest
2007 Lewis Hamilton McLaren Budapest
2006 Jenson Button Honda Budapest
2005 Kimi Raikkonen McLaren Budapest
2004 Michael Schumacher Ferrari Budapest
2003 Fernando Alonso Renault Budapest
2002 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari Budapest
2001 Michael Schumacher Ferrari Budapest
2000 Mika Hakkinen McLaren Budapest

Hamilton 2013 on board
[youtube]

Senna 1992 on board
[youtube]

The last time a German driver won the German Grand Prix in a German car was back in pre-world championship days, when Rudolf Carraciola triumphed at the Nurburgring Nordschleife in 1939.

Rosberg took the seventh win of his F1 career, giving him as many as Juan Pablo Montoya and Rene Arnoux.

Hamilton’s brake failure in Q1 resulted in his lowest starting position since the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix, where he lined up 24th after being excluded from qualifying after running out of fuel.

Valtteri Bottas became the second driver this season to score the first three podiums of his career in consecutive races. Daniel Ricciardo did so in Spain, Monaco and Canada – having been stripped of his podium finish in Australia. The last driver to do so before them was Hamilton in 2007.

The strong run of form from Bottas has helped move Williams up to third place in the constructors’ championship. They haven’t finished a championship that high since 2003, when the were second.

Bottas also gave the team their 300th podium finish. Only Ferrari (679) and McLaren (485) have more.

On the other side of the coin, Sauber have now gone ten consecutive races without scoring a point, which is their longest ever such streak.

Adrian Sutil also took an unwanted record in Germany – he started his 119th race without finishing on the podium, breaking the previous record held by Pierluigi Martini.

Sebastian Vettel finished in front of Daniel Ricciardo in a race for the first time this year. That leaves Kimi Raikkonen as the only driver yet to beat his team mate in a grand prix this season.

Penalty points so far
Jules Bianchi 4
Pastor Maldonado 4
Valtteri Bottas 2
Kevin Magnussen 2
Adrian Sutil 2
Marcus Ericsson 2
Jean-Eric Vergne 1

u7OeyPv.png

ubs-formula-1-f1-race-strategy-briefing-infographic-budapest-hungary.png

So Mexico coming back onto the calendar next year.

Mexico GP confirmed for 2015 season

The Mexican Grand Prix will to return to F1 after a 23-year absence after organisers agreed a five-year deal starting in the 2015 season

The race has been mooted for a return to F1 for a while and was even included on the provisional calendar for 2014, only to fail to make the final cut. The race is being backed by Mexican businessman Carlos Slim Domit, the richest man in the world, and Tavo Hellmund, the creator and mastermind of the F1 USGP and Circuit of the Americas in Austin.

"It is a fact," organising president Alejandro Soberon told a press conference at the Banamex Centre in Mexico City. "Start your engines, F1 will return to Mexico next year. This is Mexico's time."

Bernie Ecclestone was not present at the announcement but did send a message echoing the comments of Soberon and welcoming Mexico back into the F1 fold. "I am pleased to confirm that Formula One will be back in Mexico City in 2015," he said. "I feel it is the right for F1 for and Mexico and I'm sure it will be to the benefit of both for many years. I look forward to welcoming you all to this global event next year."

The Williams of Nigel Mansell won the 1992 race on his way to the drivers' championship, but the sport has not returned since.

A gap in the calendar, as well as taking logistics into account, means it is likely the race will run back-to-back with the United States Grand Prix held in Austin, although a concrete date is yet to be decided.

It was confirmed that alterations and improvements will be made to the track, with spectator stands and pit garages also undergoing renovations to comply with FIA regulations.

A grand prix around the streets of Azerbaijan capital Baku is also expected to be included from next year, which promises to present a packed season for the teams and drivers - with other races now likely to be unsure of their own respective futures on the calendar.

http://en.espnf1.com

I see Massa has had another dig at the new drivers, despite the fact he moved over onto Magnussen, causing his crash. Not the first time this year massa has been involved in incidents. I think Bottas has him under pressure to perform.

I see Massa has had another dig at the new drivers, despite the fact he moved over onto Magnussen, causing his crash. Not the first time this year massa has been involved in incidents. I think Bottas has him under pressure to perform.

Yes, disappointing comments from Massa when sometimes he is the one creating the problem. Magnussen was not in any way at fault for the weekend's crash, Massa did that all by himself and in my view had he ruined Magnussen's race, Massa would have received a penalty for causing a collision, he could have chosen to stay wide but instead chose to turn into a space that wasn't there. Had I been a race steward, he would have received a penalty anyway.

Another new race announcement, Bernie has been a busy boy.

Azerbaijan will happen in 2016 says Ecclestone

24 hours after confirming that Mexico returns to the F1 schedule in 2015, Bernie Ecclestone says that Azerbaijan will happen in 2016.

"Baku is for 2016," he told Forbes, referring to the capital of the oil-rich country which sits at the crossroads of western Asia and eastern Europe.

Should the current 19 races remain on the calendar, and ignoring India's proposed return to the schedule, the addition of Mexico in 2015 and now Azerbaijan would bring the 2016 calendar up to 21 races, the most in the sport's history and over and above the agreed limit according to the Concorde Agreement.

With a number of teams (Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull) having it written into their commercial agreements with Formula One that if the schedule exceeds 20 races it would require majority consent, the only other option would be to drop one of the current races, most likely a European event.

To further confuse the situation, now widely written off, Ecclestone says that the proposed race in the New Jersey towns of West New York and Weehawken, which has been deferred more times than most care to remember, has raised its head again.

www.pitpass.com

Another new race announcement, Bernie has been a busy boy.

www.pitpass.com
Yeah chase the buck screw the fans
Possably drop the german gp as it is losing its appeal to the germans
Whats the concorde agreement is it still there?

Azerbaijan, no doubt another track with empty seats just like Turkey.

Yes the concorde agreement is still in place 2013-2020

Azerbaijan
Its a street cicuit encompassing various landmarks
Good for postcards but probably not F1

Like Monaco then?

Right now, this week, on the Way Out Wacky Races ...

... for the second week running - no spoiler - but lots of adventures in the comedy quali!! :oops: :$

Having had a car do that to me a couple of times, I'm not really surprised there was a loss of power. Tends to happen when the necessary is being used to contribute to global warming rather than forward propulsion...

Anyone that finds the hungarian gp boring cant be into F1
Ricardo brilliant, Hamy superb, Alonso well what words do you use for that guy
Bet Lauda has somthing to say about team orders or at least he should have. He has made enough noise about let them race
For the conspiracy theorists
The Hungery GP was the circuit that would show which teams would be most affected by the voluntary ban on frics, more so than Germany
The two teams that brought FRICS to the attention of Charlie whiting were Red Bull and Ferrari
The two cars that beat both Mercedes were ----------------yes youve guessed

Words for Alonso? Don't get me started...

For a circuit where overtaking isn't easy, there seemed to be a fair bit going on, mainly from someone who started from the pit lane and almost threw it all away on the first lap! Good to see the Red Bulls finishing in that order again - maybe the Aussie deserves a raise at the expense of the German?

Words for Alonso? Don't get me started...

For a circuit where overtaking isn't easy, there seemed to be a fair bit going on, mainly from someone who started from the pit lane and almost threw it all away on the first lap! Good to see the Red Bulls finishing in that order again - maybe the Aussie deserves a raise at the expense of the German?

As much as I don't like vettel, I don't think you can count him out so easily, he is a 4 time world champion, I doubt he would take a pay cut as I'm pretty sure any other team would take the boos and prize money if he starts winning again.

Was a nervous few last laps though, I'm glad it finished in the order that it did and team orders will probably be talked about on the f1 show next week and clarified, Lewis said if Nico caught up he'd let him past. My favourite part was a mclaren finally leading a lap, good overtake on the first corner but bad tyre choice in the end

The Hungery GP was the circuit that would show which teams would be most affected by the voluntary ban on frics, more so than Germany
The two teams that brought FRICS to the attention of Charlie whiting were Red Bull and Ferrari
The two cars that beat both Mercedes were ----------------yes youve guessed

That wasn't a true test, weather and decisions made more out of the result than anything else. Who was on what tyres at what time, I mean, Rosberg was 3 secs a lap quicker at the end.

Not sure that Mercedes expected to have the problem they have, ie. both drivers shooting for the championship almost unopposed. Now they have to figure out how to handle it.

My view (fwiw) is that Lewis did the right thing to continue at his race pace. Nico needed to put more of a move on Lewis rather than expect Lewis to hand him a race win on a plate. Simple fact is on the day, Mercedes put Nico on the wrong strategy to beat Lewis simply on pace. The flaw in the plan was they needed and expected Lewis to capitulate to Nico. No reason why he should.

Great drive from Danny, he is showing himself to be a very competent young racing driver.
Great drive from Lewis from pit lane to podium.
As for Alonso, his back must be so sore after carrying that Ferrari to second place. Outstanding drive. That said I still think Lewis is the quickest F1 driver at the moment.

Apart from the last lap, Nico wasn't near enough to Lewis. As Lewis said, 'if he catches up I'll let him past...' He was barely in DRS range at times.

Apart from the last lap, Nico wasn't near enough to Lewis. As Lewis said, 'if he catches up I'll let him past...' He was barely in DRS range at times.

Indeed not! Apart from all else, for the first ten laps he was 4 seconds [?] ahead of the field and drawing steadily away from everyone until the first Safety Car period caught him out at the wrong place on the circuit not to lose his advantage!

Indeed not! Apart from all else, for the first ten laps he was 4 seconds [?] ahead of the field and drawing steadily away from everyone until the first Safety Car period caught him out at the wrong place on the circuit not to lose his advantage!

Which led to a very poor decision not to come in right away.

I see the pitstops were the usual slow time for Lewis this race too!

Which led to a very poor decision not to come in right away.

I see the pitstops were the usual slow time for Lewis this race too!

Both Mercs had a slow stop because the team needed to remove some tape on the front brake cooling ducts.

Both Mercs had a slow stop because the team needed to remove some tape on the front brake cooling ducts.

Hamilton 4.4 v Rosberg 3.3 secs.......... Aye right!

Briatori to step in and save F1 I wonder how he will spice it up??? manditory crashes I expect
One serious suggestion is adding ballast depending on how you are winning. At that point the off switch on the tele goes to off and its close now I am just hoping it goes back to honest racing
Yes its exciting at present but there is always that niggle its artifical

Last edited:
Hamilton 4.4 v Rosberg 3.3 secs.......... Aye right!

When I saw it live on sky I'm sure Rosberg's time for that stop showed as 4.5. Are you sure the 3.3 wasn't his final stop? (The one Hamilton didn't do because the team put him on the wrong strategy)

why didnt merc pit hamilton when he was ahead of rosberg? he'd have come out of quick tyres and had a very good chance of catching and passing alonso and danny. he wouldnt have finished any lower than third after all...

When I saw it live on sky I'm sure Rosberg's time for that stop showed as 4.5. Are you sure the 3.3 wasn't his final stop? (The one Hamilton didn't do because the team put him on the wrong strategy)

Positive and it has been an ongoing situation for at least the last 4 or 5 GPs!

It's not necessarily a conspiracy though, it only takes one wheelman (who wants Rosberg to gain an advantage) to be a fraction slow at pulling the trigger to make that 0.5-1 second difference.

It might not be a conspiracy, it might be that the mechanics like Rosberg better than Hamilton and are sub consciously more motivated during a Rosberg pit stop. Lewis has publicly criticised the team and seems to have a nack for winding people up. Not conducive for solid team performance IMHO.

I know it's been a consistent issue this year but at this race the 1st stops were under the safety car and not so time critical, the 2nd stops were 4.4 & 4.5 respectively, and Hamilton didn't make a 3rd stop so there's nothing to compare.

My biggest issues with the team this race were:

1. Another major failure in qualifying

2. Poor use of team orders

3. Putting Hamilton on the wrong strategy. At the second stop he pitted later & came out in front of Rosberg. If they'd put him on softs at that point with the intention of making a 3rd stop he very well could have won the race. (or at least taken 2nd)

Last edited:
why didnt merc pit hamilton when he was ahead of rosberg? he'd have come out of quick tyres and had a very good chance of catching and passing alonso and danny. he wouldnt have finished any lower than third after all...

I thought that also

It might not be a conspiracy, it might be that the mechanics like Rosberg better than Hamilton and are sub consciously more motivated during a Rosberg pit stop. Lewis has publicly criticised the team and seems to have a nack for winding people up. Not conducive for solid team performance IMHO.

Actually Hamilton is loved at Mercedes because he's a racer and will always show the car for it's best. They love his overtaking

I suspect Hamilton's pitstops are slowed in large part by his own style overheating the brakes and the hubs on the inlap. After all, he retired from Canada with completely cooked brakes because he hadn't worked out that trying to jump Nico at the first pitstop meant he was making a huge late brake from a 200mph straight into the pitlane and the whole shebang then fried itself nicely while he sat there!

And as the fan's popular heir to Nigel Mansell, Lewis Hamilton similarly isn't famous for learning new tricks quickly!

I suspect Hamilton's pitstops are slowed in large part by his own style overheating the brakes and the hubs on the inlap. After all, he retired from Canada with completely cooked brakes because he hadn't worked out that trying to jump Nico at the first pitstop meant he was making a huge late brake from a 200mph straight into the pitlane and the whole shebang then fried itself nicely while he sat there!

And as the fan's popular heir to Nigel Mansell, Lewis Hamilton similarly isn't famous for learning new tricks quickly!

is true. he has 2 settings, fast and stop.

Riciardo is looking to be a very quick and very intelligent racer.

After all, he retired from Canada with completely cooked brakes because he hadn't worked out that trying to jump Nico at the first pitstop meant he was making a huge late brake from a 200mph straight into the pitlane and the whole shebang then fried itself nicely while he sat there!

I thought he retired in Canada because the ERS failure put strain on the rear brakes causing them to fail? Rosberg had the same issue but to a lesser degree (possibly in part down to the different brake bias they were running earlier in the race) & was able to manage the problem & salvage 2nd place.

There was a suggestion however that Hamilton simply isn't hitting the pit box as accurately causing the crew to have to shift position slightly & slowing the stop. Not sure how much truth there is to that though.

Last edited:
Actually Hamilton is loved at Mercedes because he's a racer and will always show the car for it's best. They love his overtaking
Fair enough. I'm just spit-ballin'

Back