The 2014 Season F1 Thread

The last 90 or so seconds of quali was fantastic. I may have whooped out loud more than once. :)

Excellent session great atmosphere. Big cheers each time Ricciardo topped the time sheet, but Lewis had the last laugh. Jenson lost out due to Kimi's spin, others seemed go faster under a yellow flag though I didn't have the advantage of replays and analysis. Looking forward to tomorrow, just hoping it doesn't bucket down..

Looks like many were so wrong righting off the Red Bulls though.
I would never right off Mr. Newey, but Renault haven't always been top of the pops.. I actually hope all of the teams have good reliability otherwise the races will be a something of a farce..

Massive distance (especially this year) between qualifying well and actually finishing, let alone in the points/on the podium! IIRC there's a fairly stingy fuel usage limit (?100kg/hr?) in the race but quali usage is not restricted.
Just watching quali now, having (unusually for me!) not looked at the results yet. Of course, there's a spoiler above but I had seen the news so knew the pole sitter! Have to say that I actually prefer the sound of the new engines at the lower rev limit - less of a screech!

Where he ended up qualifying, I was pleased too. It was the same cheer I heard at silverstone when he broke down last year!

A period of indifferent performance just might instil a little humility into him.

You lot must have been watching on sky
The bbc replay was terrible The cars may be quiter but the commentators arnt
They need to up the car sound and mute the commentators, the cars arnt that quiet are they?
New guns starting to out the old gaurd wonderful
Red bull messed up and gave Seb Webbers car

You lot must have been watching on sky
The bbc replay was terrible The cars may be quiter but the commentators arnt
They need to up the car sound and mute the commentators, the cars arnt that quiet are they?

Agree they need to turn down Edwards and DC

The cars are much quieter than they were last year with the V8. Coulthard has been driving a V8 powered Red Bull as part of a speed challenge demo and it sounds much better than the new cars. Will just have to get used to it I guess. The new cars are still quick.

As for 100kg/h max flow rate, that's about 1600hp fuel energy. So the challenge is to get more of that into the road wheels. A battle against thermodynamics that we might all benefit from one day..

I coudnt hear the cars for the prattle
There is one thing pointing out intresting facts its another to bladder on about what you can plainly see
I want to listen to the whistle and grunt not dumb rattling

Maldonado told his team he wanted his money back over radio, then retired a lap later.

Maldonado told his team he wanted his money back over radio, then retired a lap later.

Results of the race are in this post if you haven't watched it yet...

I was watching on sky f1 but I didn't hear that. Good race, not a bad job for mclaren leading the constructors now! Still had to listen to the German national anthem but it didn't have that stupid finger being waved about today so it wasn't as bad. Unlucky for Hamilton as well, he would've won really.

Last edited:
Thanks for the spoiler...

I would assume that you'd steer clear of this thread until after you have watched the race as it would clearly be talked about, just as it would be if the race were on European time... I will edit my original post though.

On race day - discussing the race? You'd have thought you'd stay clear of the thread as it is a F1 discussion thread - or do we need to wait until Nod says it's OK to post something? ;)

Last edited:
Results of the race are in this post if you haven't watched it yet...

I was watching on sky f1 but I didn't hear that. Good race, not a bad job for mclaren leading the constructors now! Still had to listen to the German national anthem but it didn't have that stupid finger being waved about today so it wasn't as bad. Unlucky for Hamilton as well, he would've won really.

I have the james Allen twitter page up as he has all the twitter feeds into one.
http://connect.jamesallenonf1.com/f1-on-twitter/

Worth having going on the tablet at the same time.

Graphics were rubbish this year - very little info from F1 broadcasting going on.

NOD-I'M GOING TO DISCUSS THE RACE NOW

Good results from the youngsters, shame about Hamilton but the car looks good. Red bull looks ok in race pace, just reliability. Was it Lotus or caterham have now used 2 out of the 5 allowed DCDC packs?

Ricardo's car now subject to a technical query as it exceeded to flow rate of fuel allowed...
That meant Ricciardo breached article 5.1.4 of the technical regulations, and so the matter has been referred to the stewards. #F1
FollowRetweetReplyFavorite

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF16m
FIA says @danielricciardo‘s car “has exceeded consistently the maximum allowed fuel flow of 100kg/h”

Ricardo under investigation
http://www.f1zone.net/news/ricciardo-under-investigation-for-exceeding-fuel-flow-limit/29394/

Good result for McLaren especially after such a poor year last year. You wonder how much of that is down to the return of Ron Dennis as the team went rapidly downhill when he left the team.

Buttons upbeat, they just need to make the most of a good car before the others catch up.
http://motortweets.com/mclaren/news/16376

Ricardo disqualified - two mclarens on the podium. - says one reporter
Can't find it on the official sites yet

Last edited:
I think the caterham looked a lot nicer with the front missing too and good news for mclaren, magnussen outdoing Hamilton on his debut as well, I don't think Jenson will have a seat at mclaren next year if he doesn't get past Kevin though

I think the caterham looked a lot nicer with the front missing too and good news for mclaren, magnussen outdoing Hamilton on his debut as well, I don't think Jenson will have a seat at mclaren next year if he doesn't get past Kevin though
Given the problem with Hamilton's car today anyone would have "outdone" him today. Not as if he lost to KM is a straight duel was it?

Button got screwed on qualifying, that's all. Fighting from 10th to 4th will be seen as a good result. Button is also recognised as one of the most consistent and best for car development. Not always spectacular racing but consistently gets the best from the car, lap after lap.

Last edited:
Down the back end of the grid, bot MArussia's finished, with 14th & 15th. That could prove to be very useful later in the fight with caterham and Lotus if the other cars get reliable and there's less DNF's.

Given the problem with Hamilton's car today anyone would have "outdone" him today. Not as if he lost to KM is a straight duel was it?

I meant he outdid Hamilton compared to his debut for mclaren in 2007, I believe he was 3rd that day, until ricciardos disqualification, they were on par with each other.

Bi1yNk_CYAAbbD4.jpg

No word yet

Update: Did red bull try to hide something?

http://boxofneutrals.com/2014/03/ricciardo-investigated-by-stewards-for-fuel-flow-breach/

Screenshot-2014-03-16-21.41.21-300x205.png

FIA records show that the fuel flow meter on Ricciardo’s RB10 was replaced post qualifying in parc ferme.

Last edited:

Not confirmed officially. F1A have said although some reportes are around of him being banned, the Stewards are still investigating

Update - now coming through here - yup disqualified
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/16/ricciardo-stripped-second-place/

Red Bull immediately announced their attention to appeal and released the following statement:

“Following the decision of the FIA that Infiniti Red Bull Racing is in breach of Article 3.2 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations and Article 5.1.4 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations with car three, the team has notified the FIA of its intention to appeal with immediate effect.

“Inconsistencies with the FIA fuel flow meter have been prevalent all weekend up and down the pit lane. The team and Renault are confident the fuel supplied to the engine is in full compliance with the regulations.”

Last edited:
Christian Horner has said they we told by the FIA to turn down the rate but refused as they believed their sensors were accurate and the fia ones weren't.

Seems other teams had the issues and may have turned down their flow rate to comply

Well I enjoyed that race, but think that maybe Rosberg and Hamilton will be this years Vettel and Webber, if today's performance was anything to go by.

Well I enjoyed that race, but think that maybe Rosberg and Hamilton will be this years Vettel and Webber, if today's performance was anything to go by.

I wonder who is driver number 1... Multi 21 again in Malaysia? Brawn made a point of leaving Lewis in front last year but he's gone now......

Last edited:
Christian Horner has said they we told by the FIA to turn down the rate but refused as they believed their sensors were accurate and the fia ones weren't.

Seems other teams had the issues and may have turned down their flow rate to comply

This is like a man with two watches, he doesn't know the time as both watches will display a different time..

If Red Bull were advised to turn down the flow and refused, then I think they are wasting their time appealing. Gambling on the difference between calibration certificates is pretty shaky IMHO.

If Red Bull were advised to turn down the flow and refused, then I think they are wasting their time appealing. Gambling on the difference between calibration certificates is pretty shaky IMHO.

if Redbull decide to refuse to comply they deserve all they get.

if Redbull decide to refuse to comply they deserve all they get.

Why? This is Redbull, they will know how important that flow is so will have pushed it to the limit and probably have spent a fortune getting it precisely right....to then be told you have to turn it down because the "official" figures are showing most people being "wrong" then I can see why they would go with the "I am right, you are not" approach.

Back