The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Probably better to wait until someone less 'promotional' does a review.
Definitely.
He says he keeps pressing the C3 button by mistake....I've never done that on any of my Sony cameras.
2 of the fn menu options don't work because they're on a mechanical wheel/switch, but that's nothing new, the A9 is the same...so what....
It's like they're looking for things to criticise....

I almost bought the A7R iv last night, so very close. But what many have already said is true if I'm honest with myself; I don't need 60MP and once the novelty wears off I'll most likely be left with a far slower workflow (until I build my new computer). The buffer issue was another consideration as I do rattle off shots sometimes. I'm also wondering if all the processing power for the big megapixels could effect the AF somehow? Probably not, but just throwing it out there.

Something about the A7C just wasn't quite sitting well with me. Technically it is almost everything I need, but the EVF and also the lack of physical dials etc is perhaps the issue; I do shoot manual almost all of the time. But, being a grand less than the A7R iv would leave room for more lenses.

Ended up buying an A9. The latest firmware helped tip it. So, now I need to decide on lenses. The Sigma 35mm 1.4 has really been taking my fancy, but even though it's HSM will that heavy glass struggle to keep up with the AF? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

I almost bought the A7R iv last night, so very close. But what many have already said is true if I'm honest with myself; I don't need 60MP and once the novelty wears off I'll most likely be left with a far slower workflow (until I build my new computer). The buffer issue was another consideration as I do rattle off shots sometimes. I'm also wondering if all the processing power for the big megapixels could effect the AF somehow? Probably not, but just throwing it out there.

Something about the A7C just wasn't quite sitting well with me. Technically it is almost everything I need, but the EVF and also the lack of physical dials etc is perhaps the issue; I do shoot manual almost all of the time. But, being a grand less than the A7R iv would leave room for more lenses.

Ended up buying an A9. The latest firmware helped tip it. So, now I need to decide on lenses. The Sigma 35mm 1.4 has really been taking my fancy, but even though it's HSM will that heavy glass struggle to keep up with the AF? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

I use the Sigma 35 1.4 on an A7iii. Autofocus is quick and precise. It is a heavy beast though.

As far as 35mm goes there is only one right answer and its the new 35GM :ROFLMAO:
The video AF of the DSLR designed art lenses aren't very good. They are fine for stills though.

Something wider than 24mm which is the widest I have right now (24-105mm)
Can't decide and keep changing my mind ....
Sony 20mm f1.8 or Sony 16 -35mm f4. I don't need a wide zoom, but not sure if 20mm would be wide enough?
Can't justify 16-35mm f2.8
20 1.8 would be my pick.

I've never found need for wider in Scotland. Unless you plan on shooting interiors 20 is wide enough.

If you do plan on shooting astro its a handy thing to have. I also suspect optically it'll be amazing and if you do end up with the a7r4 you'd love the combo.

My advice if new grey breaks the bank look at used. The Sony eco system is alive and well, buy a used 20 1.8 - if its no good sell and buy the 16-35

Last edited:
As far as 35mm goes there is only one right answer and its the new 35GM :ROFLMAO:
The video AF of the DSLR designed art lenses aren't very good. They are fine for stills though.

Yup, the needle has moved, the 35GM is now the benchmark. All the others are still good and most people will be happy but the 35GM is the best one.

Something wider than 24mm which is the widest I have right now (24-105mm)
Can't decide and keep changing my mind ....
Sony 20mm f1.8 or Sony 16 -35mm f4. I don't need a wide zoom, but not sure if 20mm would be wide enough?
Can't justify 16-35mm f2.8

Depends on how wide you need as you say.... perhaps something like Tamron 17-28mm f2.8? Its not a massive zoom, fairly fast at f2.8 and wider than 20mm.

Interesting, so which lenses should I be looking at for decent video to compliment the Sigma?

Is it stepping motor focusing which is best? I'm assuming optical stabilisation to assist the IBIS would be rather handy as well?

Interesting, so which lenses should I be looking at for decent video to compliment the Sigma?

Is it stepping motor focusing which is best? I'm assuming optical stabilisation to assist the IBIS would be rather handy as well?

OS would be handy but not a lot of prime have that.
depends really... what focal length are you looking for?
Why not just buy a lens that good at both video and still?
Sony 35mm f1.8, sigma 35mm f2 etc are very good. Unless you absolutely need that f1.4 for something I'd skip the sigma. if you look at the reviews some folks say the new sigma 35mm f2 DN is actually shaper than the old ART lens. optical design has come a long way.

Last edited:
20 1.8 would be my pick.

I've never found need for wider in Scotland. Unless you plan on shooting interiors 20 is wide enough.

If you do plan on shooting astro its a handy thing to have. I also suspect optically it'll be amazing and if you do end up with the a7r4 you'd love the combo.

My advice if new grey breaks the bank look at used. The Sony eco system is alive and well, buy a used 20 1.8 - if its no good sell and buy the 16-35
Any thoughts on this one?
sigma art 2.8 14-24 dg dn

OS would be handy but not a lot of prime have that.
depends really... what focal length are you looking for?
Why not just buy a lens that good at both video and still?
Sony 35mm f1.8, sigma 35mm f2 etc are very good. Unless you absolutely need that f1.4 for something I'd skip the sigma. if you look at the reviews some folks say the new sigma 35mm f2 DN is actually shaper than the old ART lens. optical design has come a long way.

Probably no wider than 35mm so as to try and keep distortion down. For anything I would need for wider I can probably stitch. I'm not a huge fan of zooms because I prefer to move myself instead, which I often find presents new composition ideas.

I'm also keen to find a reasonably cheap but very long focal length lens to play about with some stitching ideas. Manual focus would be fine.

Just watched the Northrup video, on first watch it’s disappointing but I can’t decide whether it’s his Canon bias, pre-production gremlins or that it is simply not as good as the R5 in certain areas. I guess we’ll know over the next week when we get more hands on reviews.

At the price point I expect it to be the best in every area.

Out of interest he mentions that the Fn buttons do nothing out of the box (same as the A9’s) because the functions are controlled elsewhere, can you customise them or are they simply duff buttons? Also, he mentions eye AF focussing on eyelashes etc but on the odd occasion I’ve tried eye af on my A7RIV the eyes always seem sharp to me, what’s others experience?

Probably no wider than 35mm so as to try and keep distortion down. For anything I would need for wider I can probably stitch. I'm not a huge fan of zooms because I prefer to move myself instead, which I often find presents new composition ideas.

I'm also keen to find a reasonably cheap but very long focal length lens to play about with some stitching ideas. Manual focus would be fine.

I shoot mainly with the CV40 1.2E & Contax Carl Zeiss 80-200mm. I do have the CV21 3.5E and FE85 but they don't see much use. I'd rather stitch with the 40mm than use 21mm and the Contax has 'replaced' the 85mm on woodland/landscape outings.

I do have the 35GM on pre order though!

Not impressed :(
Especially if their birdAF isn't any good. Also seems like they think R5 is better for all animals and you don't even have to pick between animals or birds separately as far as I know.

In a couple of weeks we will be able to see some proper reviews and examples, but from that it does seem a little disappointing, maybe not so much if it was a £3900 camera but at £6500...

Just watched the Northrup video, on first watch it’s disappointing but I can’t decide whether it’s his Canon bias, pre-production gremlins or that it is simply not as good as the R5 in certain areas. I guess we’ll know over the next week when we get more hands on reviews.

At the price point I expect it to be the best in every area.

Out of interest he mentions that the Fn buttons do nothing out of the box (same as the A9’s) because the functions are controlled elsewhere, can you customise them or are they simply duff buttons? Also, he mentions eye AF focussing on eyelashes etc but on the odd occasion I’ve tried eye af on my A7RIV the eyes always seem sharp to me, what’s others experience?
Eye af on my A9 focuses on the eye.
The fn options that he refers to are the burst rates LMH and others that are controlled by the left top dial.
I used to like changing then electronically using a C button which I could do without removing my eye from the viewfinder, but I'm used to changing it manually now...
It doesn't make the buttons duff, it's just that they're on the fn menu but you can't change them within the fn menu.
You can also remove them from the fn menu yourself...

Last edited:
Also, he mentions eye AF focussing on eyelashes etc but on the odd occasion I’ve tried eye af on my A7RIV the eyes always seem sharp to me, what’s others experience?
Eye af on my A9 focuses on the eye.

EyeAF on Sony always focussed on the eye even from A7RII days. So I don't believe that part for a second and I have a million shots to prove it lol
The main difference with later bodies is how sticky it is on the eye(s) especially when its quickly moving in the frame. but when it hits the focus its always been the eyes and not the lashes as he claims.

Last edited:
Thanks
Any thoughts on this one?
sigma art 2.8 14-24 dg dn

I had two copies both decentered, if you good it seem a number people on Fred miranda has had similar issues.
But if you get a good copy its sharp has hell. Its not large but its very dense and heavy.

p.s. I also have a sony 12-24mm sales if that floats your boat ;)

Exactly my thought. If I am paying £6500 for a sports body I want the best in class.
Definitely, if that review is realistic then you’re paying £2.5k over the R5 for blackout free shooting :eek:

Definitely, if that review is realistic then you’re paying £2.5k over the R5 for blackout free shooting :eek:

Well it can do a fair bit more than that tbh. The electronic shutter in R5 unusable as far as I'm concerned. But still wouldn't pay £2.5 extra for those bits if it's bird AF sucks.

If I get the 20mm f1.8 and did want a wider view, is it difficult to stitch?
I use affinity photo.....

Stitching isn't the same as shooting with a wider angle. The ultrawides can really "dramatise" and bring out the foregrounds which isn't the same with stitching.
Yes you could stitch vertically and then horizontally and get the same results. You'd most likely need a tripod and its too much of a pain.

Don't get me wrong though I am as much of a fan of stitching and panos as the next guy and I really like them. But I wouldn't use that as a replacement for an UWA lens.

Stitching isn't the same as shooting with a wider angle. The ultrawides can really "dramatise" and bring out the foregrounds which isn't the same with stitching.
Yes you could stitch vertically and then horizontally and get the same results. You'd most likely need a tripod and its too much of a pain.

Don't get me wrong though I am as much of a fan of stitching and panos as the next guy and I really like them. But I wouldn't use that as a replacement for an UWA lens.
And you get into trouble if there’s the slightest subject movement, eg, wind.

GAS has been hitting me hard last couple of days..

The idea of selling all hasselblad gear and invest everything into sony

2xA1, 35 GM, 135 GM 400 GM

but since i Don’t trust the post with gear I cant insure, lockdown prevents me from getting ahead of myself..

GAS has been hitting me hard last couple of days..

The idea of selling all hasselblad gear and invest everything into sony

2xA1, 35 GM, 135 GM 400 GM

but since i Don’t trust the post with gear I cant insure, lockdown prevents me from getting ahead of myself..
Ffordes will buy or sell on a commission basis, and I believe they will arrange insured collection.

One more thing Tony N says in this video is that all the Sony cameras Inc the A9/ii has lag in EVF. But supposedly the R5/6 don't and they can't even do blackout free shooting with the EVF.
I find this really hard to believe! Just doesn't sound logical.

Tony N says you really need to pre focus a long lens well who would have thought that :)

Given how well the a9MKII gets birds even without bird eye AF I really think the a1 will better it given that it focuses even faster but i do hope the bird eye AF works .

Rob.

I've been watching videos of the 35mm 1.4 Art on Canon R6 today and the AF looks very good shooting video, is it different on Sony ?

CS6 does it automatically direct from LR. I've never used Affinity but being a much newer & more advance program I'd have thought it would be a breeze*

*Don't hold me to that......

I use LR for stitching, allows me the full dynamic range to play with.

Hmm i'm close to getting an R6 with the 35mm & 20mm 1.4 Art for video work, then again i'm close to sticking with Sony LOL

If RF had the glass I'd be gone by now. I don't like half the native lenses and one I do like are crazy expensive lol

After looking at the 20G and 35GM, I don't feel like buying sigmas. they are "old-ish" design and for DSLRs, big and unwieldy IMO. if it serves your purpose then go for it, just not for me.
Also I dislike adapters in general unless you have one per lens to avoid swapping (or you permanently stick the adapter on the body and use it as a EF-body for most part). otherwise gets too fiddly and annoying. been there done that, wouldn't do it again.

Last edited:
Hmm i'm close to getting an R6 with the 35mm & 20mm 1.4 Art for video work, then again i'm close to sticking with Sony LOL

This video worried me when thinking about the R6. I'm guessing a firmware update could fix it though, if not already done?

Back