The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Have the lenses on the RX100 improved since the Mark III? Fancying having a decent compact but I had the Mark III and wasn’t blown away by the IQ, in particular the lens wasn’t great in the corners (although better than the G7x)

I think @G.K.Jnr. George has a good version, have not used my RX100 3 for ages now.

Have the lenses on the RX100 improved since the Mark III? Fancying having a decent compact but I had the Mark III and wasn’t blown away by the IQ, in particular the lens wasn’t great in the corners (although better than the G7x)

Toby, I have an "RX100M6" and optically it's "Excellent" at any FL (24-200mm FF equivalent). I pretty much snap everything between F4 & F5.6. Beyond F8.5 it does soften down a tad but is still very good and usable. I'm currently waiting for the M7 to come back into stock (same lens) but has better tracking, a microphone socket, faster focussing and some other bits I'd like but unfortunately at the moment everyone is out of stock.

Because of current health reasons (but improving) I'm unable to carry anything heavy at the moment so it has been virtually the only camera I have used over recent times and all of my recent shots on this thread and anything on TP have been shot using it.

Toby, I have an "RX100M6" and optically it's "Excellent" at any FL (24-200mm FF equivalent). I pretty much snap everything between F4 & F5.6. Beyond F8.5 it does soften down a tad but is still very good and usable. I'm currently waiting for the M7 to come back into stock (same lens) but has better tracking, a microphone socket, faster focussing and some other bits I'd like but unfortunately at the moment everyone is out of stock.

Because of current health reasons (but improving) I'm unable to carry anything heavy at the moment so it has been virtually the only camera I have used over recent times and all of my recent shots on this thread and anything on TP have been shot using it.
Thanks George. Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell, wishing you a quick and full recovery.

RX10 and RX100 series have the best lenses in thier class.
If had one that was bad then you probably got a bad copy.

Having said that I found RX100 a bit too fiddly to use for me.
I have much enjoyed using the canon g5xii and still own one. The lens isn't as good as rx100 series but it's good enough and has its benefits too.

I have also considered canon g1xiii a number of times but never got round trying it out.

I have much enjoyed using the canon g5xii and still own one. The lens isn't as good as rx100 series but it's good enough and has its benefits too.

I have also considered canon g1xiii a number of times but never got round trying it out.
I find most compacts fiddly to use and wouldn’t have one as an everyday use camera, but they are sometimes convenient. It’s just a thought, sometimes fancy having something more compact to replace the EM10.

Just had a look at the G5xii, looks good, like an RX100 iii competitor. What’s the lens like compared to the G7x as that was pretty poor on the corners?

Just had a look at the G5xii, looks good, like an RX100 iii competitor. What’s the lens like compared to the G7x as that was pretty poor on the corners?
It's about the same as G7x tbh may be slightly better but not by much. Definitely improves stopped down to f4.
I didn't buy it for amazing corner to corner sharpness, I have some GM lenses for that ;)

I find most compacts fiddly to use and wouldn’t have one as an everyday use camera, but they are sometimes convenient. It’s just a thought, sometimes fancy having something more compact to replace the EM10.
I have a GM5 at the moment. Just picked up a G100+20mm from the sales forum.

Once I use both I'll put one to in sales depending on which I like best. I'll also most likely sell the G5xii and keep just keep one compact m43 body.

It's about the same as G7x tbh may be slightly better but not by much. Definitely improves stopped down to f4.
I didn't buy it for amazing corner to corner sharpness, I have some GM lenses for that ;)
Lol yeah I appreciate that, but my G7x was poor even stopped down. This was the corner at f5.6

Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 07.25.10 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

I have a GM5 at the moment. Just picked up a G100+20mm from the sales forum.

Once I use both I'll put one to in sales depending on which I like best. I'll also most likely sell the G5xii and keep just keep one compact m43 body.

I haven't used my TZ100 since getting the GM5. I like being able to walk about with that and the 20mm in the palm of my hand. I wish they'd do a new one without the sensor contamination problem.

I fancy giving a G100 a try so just in case that's the one you sell I'll watch out for it.

Last edited:
Lol yeah I appreciate that, but my G7x was poor even stopped down. This was the corner at f5.6

Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 07.25.10 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
F5.6 is diffraction territory for a 1" sensor.

I haven't used my TZ100 since getting the GM5. I like being able to walk about with that and the 20mm in the palm of my hand. I wish they'd do a new one without the sensor contamination problem.

I fancy giving a G100 a try so just in case that's the one you sell I'll watch out for it.
I'll give a ping if/when I decide to sell it

PS to my MFT post above.

I found a G100 at a good price so I've ordered it. I have concerns about the lack of a second mounted near top of camera dial but I've read that it has a good evf so I'll give it a go. If I can't get on with it I'll post it on here at a loss and see if anyone fancies it.

Last edited:
Took 3 lenses out with me today on the Oly and it is so light, so ALL my Sony gear might go plus the Sammy lenses so I have some thinking to do now.
That's the beauty of M4/3 (y) Which lenses have you bought for the Olly so far?

If anyone fancies a nice film era prime I've just put some in the "other brands" section.

More may follow as I'm just not using them these days.

Hi All,

what are the best settings for taking birds in flight, i.e AF modes etc.
At the moment I use flexible expanded Spot for most things with either human or animal Eye detection on ! ?

many thanks

T
Everyone will have their own settings, and for me it depends on how erratic they are, how close the are etc. For erratic ones I’ll tend to use group tracking. For more predictable ones I’ll tend to use tracking flexible single point.

I will say, they look in great condition Alan (y)

They took a lot of finding and I've had fun but... I don't seem to be using them. If they don't sell on here I'll ring Ffordes and think what else I want to sell. After these I still have Rokkor, FD, Zuiko and Nikon from 24 to 85mm and a couple more 3rd party ones. After those I could try and shift some MFT lenses.

Took 3 lenses out with me today on the Oly and it is so light, so ALL my Sony gear might go plus the Sammy lenses so I have some thinking to do now.

Are you sure you want to sell your Sony gear? I see you sometimes use zooms and some could be smaller and lighter for MFT but for primes maybe consider those compact G Sony lenses? I've been impressed with the 24mm f2.8 and there's the 40 and 50mm f2.5's and old 35mm f2.8 which I think is excellent.

A thought on zooms. I have the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 and there's no real saving over the Sony 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 and the new 28-60mm could maybe save some more weight. These Sony lenses are f5.6 at the longer end but once you apply the crop factor which I think goes for quality as well as dof I think things work out pretty equal.

I keep buying MFT stuff but I wouldn't like to lose the quality I get from my A7 and with a compact prime on the A7 IMO MFT has no real advantage unless you go for something really small like the GM5 and 14mm f2.5 or 20mm f1.7.

Just thoughts :D

Last edited:
PS to my MFT post above.

I found a G100 at a good price so I've ordered it. I have concerns about the lack of a second mounted near top of camera dial but I've read that it has a good evf so I'll give it a go. If I can't get on with it I'll post it on here at a loss and see if anyone fancies it.
It's definitely bigger than GM5. It has two dial one of which is a forefinger dial (Sony hope you are taking notes) and other can be used with my thumb.
Ergonomically it's much nicer than GM5 but it's also larger.
Hmmm.... What to do??
Tempted to keep both but I really shouldn't

Are you sure you want to sell your Sony gear? I see you sometimes use zooms and some could be smaller and lighter for MFT but for primes maybe consider those compact G Sony lenses? I've been impressed with the 24mm f2.8 and there's the 40 and 50mm f2.5's and old 35mm f2.8 which I think is excellent.

A thought on zooms. I have the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 and there's no real saving over the Sony 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 and the new 28-60mm could maybe save some more weight. These Sony lenses are f5.6 at the longer end but once you apply the crop factor which I think goes for quality as well as dof I think things work out pretty equal.

I keep buying MFT stuff but I wouldn't like to lose the quality I get from my A7 and with a compact prime on the A7 IMO MFT has no real advantage unless you go for something really small like the GM5 and 14mm f2.5 or 20mm f1.7.

I agree that you can make the Sony setup relatively light, although the bodies are over 200g heavier so are always going to be a heavier setup, plus the Sony lenses you have quoted are 28mm at the wide end vs 24mm eq of the Olly, the closest to the 12-40mm olly lens is the 24-70mm f4 which is heavier putting the combo over 1.1kg.

At the moment I'm not going to rush into selling anything just yet, on the A7 III is my favourite AF45mm Sammy and on the A7c is the AF18mm.

I agree that you can make the Sony setup relatively light, although the bodies are over 200g heavier so are always going to be a heavier setup, plus the Sony lenses you have quoted are 28mm at the wide end vs 24mm eq of the Olly, the closest to the 12-40mm olly lens is the 24-70mm f4 which is heavier putting the combo over 1.1kg.
Valid points about fov but apart from that a big factor for me is the image quality. I have 16 and 20mp MFT cameras and they just can not match the IQ of my Sony A7 at the extremes or even in good light and if you look for the differences they're there. Maybe I look too closely but for me the file quality is a part of the hobby and I wouldn't want to be 100% MFT, not with having seen what the A7 can produce and then there's DR which is if anything even more obvious than overall IQ.

Last edited:
It's definitely bigger than GM5. It has two dial one of which is a forefinger dial (Sony hope you are taking notes) and other can be used with my thumb.
Ergonomically it's much nicer than GM5 but it's also larger.
Hmmm.... What to do??
Tempted to keep both but I really shouldn't
I get mine Tuesday. I'll be honest, it's just a gas buy but I do want to see the evf. I'm concerned about the thumb dial as I know I'll hate it.

Last edited:
Had a lovely sunset last night, first time I've seen this from my a7III, mechanical shutter (mega crop)...

A7306486 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

I've tried the Professor Dietz fix and it came out exactly the same, are there any other alternatives?

Oh er.

Is that as it comes out of the camera or after a push in processing?

Valid points about fov but apart from that a big factor for me is the image quality. I have 16 and 20mp MFT cameras and they just can not match the IQ of my Sony A7 at the extremes or even in good light and if you look for the differences they're there. Maybe I look too closely but for me the file quality is a part of the hobby and I wouldn't want to be 100% MFT, not with having seen what the A7 can produce and then there's DR which is if anything even more obvious than overall IQ.
I agree, hence why I've not completely gone M4/3, as good as it is IQ can't match FF in a number of scenarios.
Had a lovely sunset last night, first time I've seen this from my a7III, mechanical shutter (mega crop)...

A7306486 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

I've tried the Professor Dietz fix and it came out exactly the same, are there any other alternatives?
:eek: As above has that been pushed in post, or is it like that SOOC?

I agree, hence why I've not completely gone M4/3, as good as it is IQ can't match FF in a number of scenarios.

I've hardly used my GX9 as it usually has either the 45-150mm or 100-400mm mounted and I don't often use these so I've mounted my also hardly used 12-35mm f2.8 and I'm going to try and take it out and use it more and make a decision which of my soon to be a total of 4 Panasonic MFT cameras I want to keep. The MFT kit I've used most recently are the GX80 with 14mm f2.5 and GM5 with 20mm f1.7.

My new signature is what I am keeping, please NO PMs but my sammy 135mm 50mm 75mm plus A7c and X100V will be going in for sale.

How did you find the Samyang 135mm? Been hankering after a 135mm lens since selling my manual Carl Zeiss which I used with a Contax RX and can’t justify the Sony GM cost on the amount I’d use it. Reviews seem very good but are you then down to “getting a good one” which people mention about Samyang lenses. Been happy with my 45mm lens though.

How did you find the Samyang 135mm? Been hankering after a 135mm lens since selling my manual Carl Zeiss which I used with a Contax RX and can’t justify the Sony GM cost on the amount I’d use it. Reviews seem very good but are you then down to “getting a good one” which people mention about Samyang lenses. Been happy with my 45mm lens though.

The lot has just gone now, it's a good lens but not as great as the Sony GM one.

Back