The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Some nice photos there. I don't know much about birds, are Kingfishers rare?

Noticed some at my local river while out walking the dog the other day.
Thanks, Not overly rare no, just difficult to spot and get close to most of the time.

Toby. @snerkler Re Pal video message. Spotted this on Panamoz web. Check the note.
View attachment 385258
Thanks Trev, Panamoz actually linked me to this yesterday. I'm not concerned there's anything wrong, just found it odd that my A9ii's PAL by default and the A1 NTSC but they explained to me that they source the cameras worldwide and recently they are tending to be NTSC (y)

There's quite a variety of pictures there. It would help us to help you if you selected a few very specific photos that you would like to talk about and then posted them in the relevant sections of the site for critique/discussion.

Looks like an interesting collection. :)
Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely trigger happy and I probably took the wrong approach in asking for feedback in these, I guess I was just after some feedback on the editing done in general as I'm quite new to using LR and whatnot.

Lovely pictures. Well spotted, taken and presented :D

I particularly like them all :D but maybe especially the mountain ones. Both me and Mrs WW likes the dog ones :D
Thank you very much, glad you liked them! Yes the Mama Shiba Inu cafe was a great experience :D

Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely trigger happy and I probably took the wrong approach in asking for feedback in these, I guess I was just after some feedback on the editing done in general as I'm quite new to using LR and whatnot.
Some nice pictures, processing has a kind of nice film like quality. Nothing wrong with taking lots of photos, I'd rather take too many on trips than regret not having the memories.

Why are CFexpress (and SD cards for that matter) so expensive. I can get a 1TB 800mb/s portable SSD for £62, yet for an 80GB 800mb/s CFexpress card you’ve got to pay £170 :eek:

Why are CFexpress (and SD cards for that matter) so expensive. I can get a 1TB 800mb/s portable SSD for £62, yet for an 80GB 800mb/s CFexpress card you’ve got to pay £170 :eek:

There's only one logical reason Toby. It's that way to annoy YOU!

CFExpress Type A cards are insanely expensive. I got a 1tb sd card to tide me over whilst the prices settle down a bit

I managed to pick an 80gb one for £90 delivered on Ebay
Made a cheeky offer.

There's only one logical reason Toby. It's that way to annoy YOU!
Haha, I’m quite happy with my SD cards and not looking at buying CFexpress, I just saw the price and couldn’t work out why they’re so much, doesn’t make sense to me.

I’m just happy I got 1/2 price UHS-II cards when there was an offer (y)

As you increase density and performance, the cost rises quickly and CFExpress have very low demand whereas the USB drive (assuming it's the Crucial X6) is a cheap one using a basic SATA controller with lower density memory and much wider demand as the parts are likely also used in 2.5in drives as well. With little competition and the cards only used in expensive devices companies don't need to be so competitive on pricing either.

CFExpress Type A cards are insanely expensive. I got a 1tb sd card to tide me over whilst the prices settle down a bit
They are far more expensive than type B, Sony has history of choosing obscure memory formats which eventually disappear without trace (memory stick anyone)

They are far more expensive than type B, Sony has history of choosing obscure memory formats which eventually disappear without trace (memory stick anyone)
Didn’t they do the same with Betamax, mini disc and choosing HDdvd over Blu-Ray as well?

To be fair Sony memory stick was quite a good format compared to what was available at the time.

This new fixation with type A is annoying

They’ve done it so that you can choose between SD and CF express, I don’t think you can combine SD with type B and C CFexpress?

Didn’t they do the same with Betamax, mini disc and choosing HDdvd over Blu-Ray as well?

To be fair Sony memory stick was quite a good format compared to what was available at the time.

This new fixation with type A is annoying
They did, though HDdvd was Toshiba - Sony developed Blu-ray.

You could equally argue that Sony has tried to innovate but sometimes backed the wrong horse - Betamax lost to VHS, mini discs were better than cassettes but MP3 came along too soon etc. They adopted the same approach with mirrorless cameras, with huge success.

I've finally upgraded to FF E-mount, and am now the proud owner of a shiny new A7iv, 200-600, and LA-EA5

Local LCE did a nice deal, traded in an A900, Tamron 150-600 and Sony 100 Macro - not a great price for them, but Sony gave me £600 trade in bonus, and a further £200 off the A7iv, which made it a lot less painful for the CC :D

It'll take a while to upgrade the rest of my A-Mount glass, so I'm hoping the LA-EA5 performs as well as it's supposed to!

I've finally upgraded to FF E-mount, and am now the proud owner of a shiny new A7iv, 200-600, and LA-EA5

Local LCE did a nice deal, traded in an A900, Tamron 150-600 and Sony 100 Macro - not a great price for them, but Sony gave me £600 trade in bonus, and a further £200 off the A7iv, which made it a lot less painful for the CC :D

It'll take a while to upgrade the rest of my A-Mount glass, so I'm hoping the LA-EA5 performs as well as it's supposed to!
Nice, hope you enjoy it (y)

Integral 1tb SDcard 180mb read 150mb write. Got a lexar pro gold 320gb cfexpress type A on the way though!
How’re you getting on with the A1 and 600mm f4?

I’m not naive enough to think that things won’t move on but it’s hard to imagine what else you could want from a camera. 50mp is more than enough, 30fps is already too much (imo), colours are great, AF nails anything you want, it has blackout free shooting and can use flash with electronic shutter.

How’re you getting on with the A1 and 600mm f4?

I’m not naive enough to think that things won’t move on but it’s hard to imagine what else you could want from a camera. 50mp is more than enough, 30fps is already too much (imo), colours are great, AF nails anything you want, it has blackout free shooting and can use flash with electronic shutter.
Your A1 posts should have a safety warning on them as when I read them I can hear my bank account groaning. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I haven't been able to get out recently but today it was sunny enough to eat outside.

A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4 at f1.4.

WFbmA6w.jpg

I don't know if this is the cheapest new 35mm you can get in E mount but it must be the cheapest fast 35mm you can get for E mount.

Hi Everyone,

Amazon have got this lens (Sigma 24-70 2.8 DG DN) for £779 so just bought it and will be delivered later.

I am hoping for a bit of advice - is it a decent lens for the money?

Going to be using it as an all purpose general lens - with a view to also using it for portrait photography.

I already have a Sony 20mm f1.8 and a Sony/Zeiss 50mm 1.4, I also have the Sony 70-200 f4 but that’s not really getting any use so thinking of selling it.

Any advice, hints/tips - if there is anything better out there let me know, however the price needs to be a factor for instance the Sony 24-70 is £1699 am I going to notice £920 worth of difference between the two?

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited:
Back