The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

This was the Monday after Storm Dennis, on a very windy west-facing Whitesands Bay. The exposure with the ND filter was 3 seconds, but I had to make another at about 1/250 without the filter to get the non-water bits sharp, as it simply wasn't possible to hold the tripod still in the wind! I asked the bloke at the cafe what it was like at low tide. He said there hadn't been any lately :)

Fierce
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Enough research! I've decided, best macro option for me is the Laowa 100mm 2.8, so just bought the one they had for a good price in 'like new' con from MPB. Spent all week looking at tonnes of reviews and comparisons and researching old vintage MF macro lenses but everything just pointed me back to this. It looks an amazing lens for the money, practically zero distortion or CA, pin sharp from wide open [should be sweet for other types of photography too] and it does something many of the others cannot - reproduce at 2:1 magnification. This one should see me getting back out shooting more I think

Enough research! I've decided, best macro option for me is the Laowa 100mm 2.8, so just bought the one they had for a good price in 'like new' con from MPB. Spent all week looking at tonnes of reviews and comparisons and researching old vintage MF macro lenses but everything just pointed me back to this. It looks an amazing lens for the money, practically zero distortion or CA, pin sharp from wide open [should be sweet for other types of photography too] and it does something many of the others cannot - reproduce at 2:1 magnification. This one should see me getting back out shooting more I think

Congrats, nice lens.

I`m thinking XF50mm f2 on the Xpro3 have the XF80mm on the X-T3 and then figure out what other lenses on the others, but will only order the T4 once it`s out.

Have you upgraded or always been Fuji

Congrats, nice lens.

Cheers, I don't think I've spent as long mulling over what lens to buy in a long time.

I initially wanted the new APSC specific 65mm version, but it was £150 more, and I think 100mm might work better, with more working distance and it'll be sweet for some light garden wildlife if I can get close to the birds etc. It's Nikon mount, they tend to work the best for Fuji

Last edited:
Have you upgraded or always been Fuji

Used to have some Fuji Bridge cameras then got the Fuji XF1 and loved it, then it came up lens control error and I thought never again with Fuji. Then had the Canon 1100D and 70D and nine lenses plus some L ones, big mistake for me was getting the Sigma 150-600mm so traded in for Fuji and have stayed since then so about 4yrs now Fuji.

Used to have some Fuji Bridge cameras then got the Fuji XF1 and loved it, then it came up lens control error and I thought never again with Fuji. Then had the Canon 1100D and 70D and nine lenses plus some L ones, big mistake for me was getting the Sigma 150-600mm so traded in for Fuji and have stayed since then so about 4yrs now Fuji.

Wasn't your original alias on here Dave Canon or CanonDave or something similar? or was that somebody else?

Last edited:
I checked through my misc. crap awesome camera stuff and found a Minolta to FX adapter.

Minolta MC ROKKOR PG X @ 50mm 1.4

I have a Nikon to Fuji X adapter on the way, this will open up some old school lens options for me. I kinda miss adapting old lenses, used to do it a lot when I had the X-T1 and again on M43. Having IBIS gives these old lenses a new dimension I feel also - lovely kitty :) [I also miss our 2 felines :( ]

Wouldn’t move but though about getting a cheap one to try these sim JPEG’s

I've shot Fuji a few years, this is my third of their ML bodies, and I have never once shot Jpeg :D Always RAW, but I do often add one of the Fuji profiles in post - particularly fond of Classic Chrome, though I mostly use Provia Standard and tweak from there to my taste.

I have a Nikon to Fuji X adapter on the way, this will open up some old school lens options for me. I kinda miss adapting old lenses, used to do it a lot when I had the X-T1 and again on M43. Having IBIS gives these old lenses a new dimension I feel also - lovely kitty :) [I also miss our 2 felines :( ]

The old Nikon stuff is really good, especially lenses like the 105 2.5. Sorry to have heard about your cats, we've also lost a few over the years. IBIS is nice, never thought Id need it as I normally shoot moving stuff so up the shutter but since having it in my Sonys Ive found it useful and would like it in all my cameras moving forward.

Last edited:
The old Nikon stuff is really good, especially lenses like the 105 2.5.

Still got and use one of those on my Fuji units, bitingly sharp at any aperture.

George.

The old Nikon stuff is really good, especially lenses like the 105 2.5. Sorry to have heard about your cats, we've also lost a few over the years. IBIS is nice, never thought Id need it as I normally shoot moving stuff so up the shutter but since having it in my Sonys Ive found it useful and would like it in all my cameras moving forward.

Thanks, losing two in the one year was tough on my missus and the kids, I didn't think I would be so down over it but looking through my old images they were 2 of my main subjects :D particularly whenever I got a new lens they were my go to for testing

I found IBIS brilliant for old tele lenses, had a few 200mm 3.5/F4 lenses and I found them easier to frame subjects like small birds using IBIS. It cuts down significantly on that jitter through the evf when composing your shots

The MC Rokkor’s were always at the top of the class optically, it’s just a shame that during that period 28mm was considered wide angle, so there aren’t too many options for crop sensors

Yeah there's not a tonne of variation across old classic lenses, anything wider than 24mm is pretty rare and very expensive - 28, 35, 50, 55, 105, 135, 200 - you have an overwhelming choice across these FL though, the trick is to find the ones that stand out.

Two very nice portrait style Fujigraphs, particularly liking the the child's expression in #1.

George.
Thanks George, much appreciated.

Took the Wife to TGI Fridays for lunch earlier and broke the news to her over Nachos that I’d bought ‘another’ camera.... think I’ve got away with it :LOL:

Like that plan

Might look for a cheap 100f

Sounds like a plan, leave the big heavy FF gear at home and carry the X100F around with you.
But then you’ll probably wonder why you need the big, heavy FF gear in the first place.
The best camera is the one that’s with you :)

Sounds like a plan, leave the big heavy FF gear at home and carry the X100F around with you.
But then you’ll probably wonder why you need the big, heavy FF gear in the first place.
The best camera is the one that’s with you :)

Different jobs

Took the Wife to TGI Fridays for lunch earlier and broke the news to her over Nachos that I’d bought ‘another’ camera.... think I’ve got away with it :LOL:

I just got away with buying a new lens by getting in "it's just a manual focus lens" before she asked the price, once I said that she didn't even ask :D she's assumed, from previous MF lens purchases, that it'll be a £50 jobby

Those prices on the Fuji Refurb are unreal.

I was about to give in and pull the trigger on the 18-135 I’ve been thinking of for a while. I dithered and it’s gone oos again. First thoughts were that it was a good thing as I’ve spent too much this week. Not long after that I decided I really need the lens and started sulking that I missed it. :D

Back