The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'm semi tempted to move to the X-T1 after trying one out at the Photography Show, I'm just wondering if anyone has made a similar transition. My normal shooting style is portraiture and street/editorial sort of work, and I'm currently using a Canon 6D with 24-105, 85 1.8 and Sigma 35 1.4.

There's just times, though, where it feels like a burden to carry around, seeing as its a fairly large combo. I was very impressed with the X-T1 when I tried it, but I'm still not 100% convinced it would do the job of replacing the 6D to every degree.

Obviously I'm aware that it's FF vs APS-C, but I'm also well aware that the Fuji APS-C sensors are leaps and bounds ahead of the Canon ones I've used in the past. Also, I've heard the lenses are excellent, with the kit lens being closer to the L series zooms than the 'kit' lenses for Canon.

So, has anyone made the transition from FF DSLR to one? Or anyone moving from a crop DSLR? Preferably shooting similar subjects, of course!

I haven't yet as I still have both my D800 and the xt1. My D800 has been resting for few weeks now ;). I m not sure if I will switch to the x mount and sell all my Nikon kit but I have already started replacing some of my Nikon glass with Fuji's

I have now made the complete switch from FF DSLR,but I had to just can't carry around an full DSLR anymore so it was as simple as that,

For others I just can't say, can you afford to run to two systems at once to see how it works out for you :)

My D800 body went to finance the bulk of an X-Pro-1 system but I've kept the rest of the FF DSLR kit because I love wide angles and even using an 8mm fisheye on the Fuji won't give the full circular images I get from the D700! I am now able to carry the full kit on my back but the ever lowering hand baggage allowance when we go on holiday means that a smaller, lighter system which does 90+% of what I want makes far more sense! Of course, I'll also be taking the 1AW Nikon and a pair of lenses, possibly with the FT-1 and the 18-200 for 2.7x croppy reach!

In the month or so I've had the Fuji, I've used it more than I did the D800 in the year I had it. The Fuji has also rekindled my love of photography.

As for the XT-1, well, if/when it's available 2nd hand or with deals like the X-Pro has, I can see on in the bag!

Must say it all sounds ideal, but still got that nagging doubt and the saying "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" keeps entering my head.

Are the jpegs that good or is it down to processing algorithims, doesn't seem to be that many photos processed from RAW yet.

Hope it is all good news, wouldn't mind at all not lugging around a FF camera with lenses, but still need convincing and what would you as owners say are the cons

Cheaper, lighter, smaller, at least equal image quality, hope you can see my point about appearing just too good

More than happy to be convinced, but its a big change and still a lot of cash involved albeit probably covered by the sale of current gear

Cheers
Rich

Are the jpegs that good or is it down to processing algorithims, doesn't seem to be that many photos processed from RAW yet.
Rich

I've tried to convert raws to DNG but that's not possible yet... but it's only a matter of time until both DNG and the usual processing packages catch up but until then I assume that you get something to process the raws with the camera?

When I first got my A7 I shot raw+JPEG and later once DNG caught up I reprocessed as I thought best. Maybe raw+JPEG would be a good option with the Fuji (just in case the bundled software is awful) until other options are available?

Must say it all sounds ideal, but still got that nagging doubt and the saying "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" keeps entering my head.

Hope it is all good news, wouldn't mind at all not lugging around a FF camera with lenses, but still need convincing and what would you as owners say are the cons

Cheaper, lighter, smaller, at least equal image quality, hope you can see my point about appearing just too good

More than happy to be convinced, but its a big change and still a lot of cash involved albeit probably covered by the sale of current gear

Cheers
Rich

Last week, AP did a head to head between the XT-1 and the Nikon Df. Of course, they're quite different animals but the XT-1 did very well!

So... this little beauty is niggling away at me and is tempting me to sell my D7000 gear which may just cover the cost of the xt-1 & 18-55 2.8-4 kit from Panamoz...

Crazy? Or not?

Not crazy at all, so long as you don't shoot sport. Pretty much the only thing it would fall down on.

So... this little beauty is niggling away at me and is tempting me to sell my D7000 gear which may just cover the cost of the xt-1 & 18-55 2.8-4 kit from Panamoz...

Crazy? Or not?

I picked up a Fuji X10 two years ago the image quality was better than my D7000. I started using my DSLR less and less. When the X-T1 came out with the new processor and sensor I knew that the IQ would be very good. I didn't realise how good the Fujinon X lenses were until I started using them. The Fuji Facebook forums are full of people. Proffesional sand armatures alike dumping there DSLRs in favour of the Fuji X system.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

I m typing all this on my phone so I can only see 3 rows of text at one time. Hopefully it will make sense ;)

The x-t1 wasn't my first csc. I had the nex 6 first which I bought for my wife to use. She didn't use it as much and I couldn't live with it, the nex 6 wasn't the camera to convince me to go mirrorless. I had many doubts about buying the x-t1 mainly because of the price and secondly about mirrorless in general. I have tried it few times before buying it and this time it worked for me.

If it is your first mirrorless then I would go for something cheaper to see if you can live with it.

As for the x-t1, LR5 doesn't support raw files at the moment which is annoying but having said that the JPGs sooc are great. I love the dials and hate the fiddly 4-way back buttons but I m getting used to them. Camera size is Ok but a lot better with a VG for me (I don't like the argument the mirrorless should be smaller all the time). Focus tracking is the best I have seen on any mirrorless system (not tried the a6000 yet) and I have managed to get lots of keepers but it's still no match to a DSLR. I don't like the fact that to change a focus point I have to press a custom button and then move the focus point but love the fact that I can change the size of it depending on my subject. The EVF is the best I have ever used and even though it is bigger than thever OVF on my D800 I still prefer the OVF. Manual focus and liveview are better than what I get from my D800 but to be honest I rarely use manual focusing and I won't buy a mirrorless system just to use manual lenses, I want auto focus that works. I don't like the locked ISO dial and prefer if it was similar to the shutter dial. Base ISO is 200 with a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000, not enough for me and it means that I have to carry ND filters with me. You can go down to ISO 100 but only in JPG.

It is not a perfect camera but I can say that about any camera. I enjoy using it and that's why I m willing to live with its negatives.

Hmm, I do shoot a bit of motorsport. In what way does it fall down?

I have never done motor sport so I can't comment on that but I would say it is a lot easier to use a DSLR for tracking. The Fuji has a steep learning curve with regards to focus tracking

And just to add to the above, video is standard and nothing special (I don't use it a lot so it doesn't really matter from my point of view), it only has one card slot which could be an issue for some and as everyone knows the battery life is not that great at all, although my 3rd party battery seems to perform better than Fuji's own one.

Hmm, I do shoot a bit of motorsport. In what way does it fall down?

You don't necessarily need AF tracking to shoot motorsport, particularly circuit stuff, as the cars / bikes tend to follow very predictable lines through the corners and around the track. I shoot a lot of motorsport with a Panny G6 and a combination of native and manual everything legacy lenses to do so. I pre focus the lens and then use the peaking feature to visually show me when the car or bike has entered the plane of focus. It works very well, but of course if something exciting happens somewhere other than where you've pre focused then you're stuffed!

However, if Motorsport is your main subject then none of the current mirrorless cameras can really match the highly developed PDAF tracking systems on decent DSLRs.

Cheers,

Simon.

Anyone had a doubt creep into their mind after receiving their x-t1. wondering if they did the right thing?

Anyone had a doubt creep into their mind after receiving their x-t1. wondering if they did the right thing?

Yep. That's me. Wondered if I shoulda gone with Nikon Df.

Lots more money though....

depends where you buy from, panamoz its £1450 ive never had problems ordering from them or hdew. just saying :)

I did have a few doubts before hand, I considered the Df and also the D4.

Has anyone acutely tried the focus tracking at 8fps on motor sports ? I managed to capture a fast flying seagull which was very small in the screen and it didn't do a bad job.

I did consider a DF but it didn't balance well with my heavy prime lenses. The grip is too small.

I don't regret my x-t1, I love it.

I did consider a DF but it didn't balance well with my heavy prime lenses. The grip is too small.

I don't regret my x-t1, I love it.

did you consider the d600? its almost the same camera but a deeper grip?

indeed, a better compromise in many ways possibly?

Now I've had it for a few weeks I'm really happy with it and will keep it.

It's all about compromise. I'd rather the smaller system for everyday use. I'd like a Df for shooting the grandchildren, but it would also mean investing in some primes. I already have D3 and D700 with 2.8 zooms so I'll just use one of those. I only see the kids 4or5 times a year.

Doesn't stop me wanting a Df as well though..

the x-t1 will replace almost any camera...unless you are having certain requirements for said camera. fast action, large printing are the two that i would be wary about

Motorsport is far from my main subject. I will probably attwnd 2-3 events a year. One which will be a BTCC track event and maybe two rallies. Not essential that I photograph them but it's nice to push the boundaries from my normal style of shooting. I usually use af-c and take one picture with a shutter speed of around 1/125 so if the camera is capable of that then i think it would be fine? I like landscapes and portraits and I keep seeing amazing pictures on said facebook groups. I think I am still going to wait for them to come down in price a little as to get a decent length zoom I would have to wait until the piggy bank was full again where as atm I already have enough gear to get me by.

Will definately keep my eyes peeled though for any price drops.

Now I've had it for a few weeks I'm really happy with it and will keep it.

It's all about compromise. I'd rather the smaller system for everyday use. I'd like a Df for shooting the grandchildren, but it would also mean investing in some primes. I already have D3 and D700 with 2.8 zooms so I'll just use one of those. I only see the kids 4or5 times a year.

Doesn't stop me wanting a Df as well though..

Maybe hang on a bit,cant help wondering if a Dfs is due soon with the new D4s sensor :)

Back