The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

After much trading and a fair amount of cash I finally have my dream camera.
Hasselblad 503cw 3200 iso, 80mm CFE, and A12 plus A16 Backs (latest types).
All of this appears un-used.
Oddly I now have a spare 80mm CF lens, Acute matte D screen and brand new genuine Hasselblad neck strap.
Hasselblad owners, watch the for sale section!

Hassy jpeg1.JPG

Probably asking the wrong crowd this question.

Do I really need a nice new travel tri pod for 7 days in Scotland ? 2 in Edinburgh and 5 travelling about.
I will have a car and plenty of luggage allowance on the plane, so do I stick with my old full size or small Velbron for the odd occasion I may need it.
I have a funny feeling time will be limited at each stop, so will probably be a faff setting up the tri pod and will result in some moaning from SWMBO.
The Olympus with some of its functions will probably get used more than the tri pod.

Probably asking the wrong crowd this question.

Do I really need a nice new travel tri pod for 7 days in Scotland ? 2 in Edinburgh and 5 travelling about.
I will have a car and plenty of luggage allowance on the plane, so do I stick with my old full size or small Velbron for the odd occasion I may need it.
I have a funny feeling time will be limited at each stop, so will probably be a faff setting up the tri pod and will result in some moaning from SWMBO.
The Olympus with some of its functions will probably get used more than the tri pod.
If you're concerned that setting up a tripod will be a faff, then it almost certainly will be.... regardless of the size of the tripod... unfortunately, in this case no new tripod :(

Morning all,

Does anyone ever suffer from a serious bout of GAS, however, they know it's the wrong decision, and all the reviews etc. suggest to avoid?

I am looking for a mirrorless camera, specifically for portraits, I have a load of Canon and Nikon glass. The intelligent answer is the R6 (I want dual memory cards, that's non-negotiable). However, I handled a Panasonic S1R a while ago, and I love how it feels in the hand. However, AF (specifically eye af) is critical for me (I want to minimize AF inaccuracies of the faster primes) and it would mean another system! Plus, I believe the S1R does not have phase detect AF on the sensor either, and I am worried about adapted lens performance... but man, it's a lovely camera, AF, battery consumption and lens compatibility aside haha

If you're concerned that setting up a tripod will be a faff, then it almost certainly will be.... regardless of the size of the tripod... unfortunately, in this case no new tripod :(
GAS got the better of me, a to good to turn down 3LT came up on local to me on FB.

Morning all,

Does anyone ever suffer from a serious bout of GAS, however, they know it's the wrong decision, and all the reviews etc. suggest to avoid?

I am looking for a mirrorless camera, specifically for portraits, I have a load of Canon and Nikon glass. The intelligent answer is the R6 (I want dual memory cards, that's non-negotiable). However, I handled a Panasonic S1R a while ago, and I love how it feels in the hand. However, AF (specifically eye af) is critical for me (I want to minimize AF inaccuracies of the faster primes) and it would mean another system! Plus, I believe the S1R does not have phase detect AF on the sensor either, and I am worried about adapted lens performance... but man, it's a lovely camera, AF, battery consumption and lens compatibility aside haha
Probably a good thing it doesn't have phase detect on sensor, you will never get any banding :)

CD focus in generally more accurate, and any speed advantage would hardly be needed for portraits.
However, Panasonic G9 at one time had the fastest auto focus on any mirrorless, at .04 seconds, I guess that technology would be in the S1R as well.
Panasonic CD focus also includes a method of predicting which way to move the lens on moving subjects, nearly comparing with on sensor phase detect

It's a lovely camera, and they doo fell right in the hand :)

Probably a good thing it doesn't have phase detect on sensor, you will never get any banding :)

CD focus in generally more accurate, and any speed advantage would hardly be needed for portraits.
However, Panasonic G9 at one time had the fastest auto focus on any mirrorless, at .04 seconds, I guess that technology would be in the S1R as well.
Panasonic CD focus also includes a method of predicting which way to move the lens on moving subjects, nearly comparing with on sensor phase detect

Thanks @Sangoma - i am a big believer in buying what you want rather than what makes sense - I think I may give it a go hahah oh dear. I just love how it feels, it reminded me a lot of my old D3S, such a lovely piece of kit.

Have sinned again. Been thinking about adding a Nikon 80-400mmto my collection for a while but kept off pulling the trigger as my preference was getting the AF-S verion rather than the AF D one, but the was quite a difference in price.... Got a pleasant surprise yesterday when I checked my bank account to find I had been paid 3 months worth of productivity bonus for 2022-2023 from the company I worked for prior to retiring. I officially retired July 2022 but actually finished in March 2022 due to having banked 3 months worth of time off. So basically I got paid a bonus despite not actually going to work...

So what did I do with the bonus? Put it towards a mint Nikon AF-S 80-400mm f4.5-5.6G and I've also ordered a Haoge LMR-N84G tripod collar for it. :D:D:D

Started to use my old Fujifilm X-Pro1 again which I’ve always had a bit of a thing about…. Now I have GAS for an X-Pro2, but jeez, the used prices:(

I sinned recently (mentioned elsewhere on TP), buying the new Pentax K3iiiMonochrome. It's a lovely camera, and pretty intuitive to operate too. It's making me want Pentax glass, notwithstanding that I have a decent amount of old Pentax glass for K and M42 mounts that would work fine with it, and also I have a Pentax KAF to Mikon F mount adapter so I can use my Nikon/Sigma glass on the Pentax. You will all recall the pleasure of building a new outfit...

Started to use my old Fujifilm X-Pro1 again which I’ve always had a bit of a thing about…. Now I have GAS for an X-Pro2, but jeez, the used prices:(
When did those prices go up :) cashing in i suppose on the popularity of the x100 range which has had a huge hike in prices.

I'm afraid I've bought shame on you all. I did look at the Pentax K111, but at that price I think I'll stick with my old Fuji. Sorry, I'll get me coat. :(

Despite most everyone who has owned a Mamiya 6 barely using the 150mm… I couldn’t help myself from adding one to my kit.

Just missing the 50mm now

Reactions: zx9

Yes I like the S1r. Some good L mount lenses for them too.

Please help - I need therapy. I keep getting tempted to sell off some of my old film cameras so I can get a Hasselblad without spending any money.

I don't need one, I just want one . . .:runaway:

Please help - I need therapy. I keep getting tempted to sell off some of my old film cameras so I can get a Hasselblad without spending any money.
Allow me...

Big, heavy, noisy, slow to use and overpriced. They don't even take nice pictures... :wideyed: ;)

School building Swindon Old Town Hasselblad 0903010.jpg

I agree, they are overpriced. :rolleyes:

My Mamiya and Rollei both take nice 6x6 pics and are a PITA to use, but I still like them.

I just need to have a word with myself; 'You don't need one, so don't buy one. Just stop thinking about it' . . . :bat:

I tend to pay some heed to reviews, particularly those which offer samples from reasonably 'scientific' tests. If the consensus is that something is great/crap it will influence my purchasing decisions somewhat. Common sense really. I doubt I'd buy anything that had been universally panned in reviews. But the problem with all reviews is that they are subjective. So it matters what angle the reviewer is taking. IE if a sports photographer says that x camera is crap for sports, that doesn't necessarily mean it's no good for anything else. I only really pay attention to reviews where someone has actually used stuff and can show their results. A lot of the time, 'reviewers' handle equipment for a very short time, and then make various pronouncements based on very limited experience. A waste of everyone's time really.

I just need to have a word with myself; 'You don't need one, so don't buy one. Just stop thinking about it' . . .
Wisdom. I tend to find I really really want something, but am a great procrastinator, so by the time it comes round to actually buying something, I've often lost interest. Saves a lot of money.

Reactions: Sky

My Mamiya and Rollei both take nice 6x6 pics and are a PITA to use, but I still like them.

I just need to have a word with myself; 'You don't need one, so don't buy one. Just stop thinking about it' . . . :bat:
Resistance is futile.
Hasselblads are iconic (and take good pictures), just buy one. That's if you can actually find a good one.
Just souping films from my Scotland as I type.

I was quite restrained today even though I picked up :
a 400mm/6.3 in T2 mount
a 3.25"/4.5 enlarger lens (m39)
a 13-25mm/1.3 projector lens
a 2x teleconverter (petri bayonet)
and a table/shoulder pod.

All these appear to be in usable condition, though the enlarger lens is very tatty & the projector will be a pain to adapt.
They were £1 each at a boot sale - I know wish I'd picked up three of the bodies in the same box (2 SLRs & a box brownie).

No don't think about it just buy one, You know you will , I like my CM500 , Hope this helps. :film:

Well... after much turmoil. My Mamiya 6 MF collection is now complete. All 3 lenses are in my possession along with the overpriced hoods and even more overpriced panoramic kit. :)
I thought that would bring true happiness but the earlier comments have me now browsing Hassys. :eek:

Well I purchased; a PD clip from the forum, a bag from the forum and I ordered a new Panasonic LUMIX S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 Macro OIS Len from Wex as they had a deal on and instead of it being £1,259 it was £799. So, that's a bargain....right?
It would be rude not to buy it I say

Well, have been away for a month or so... May seems to have been a quiet month. I think I forgot to confess to my Leica Q2.... it was used and in perfect condition, only 6 months old. As Jake says, it would have been rude not to.... and you can't take it with you. Trying to decide whether to buy a used handgrip without a box at the moment. Any more confessions out there? It's a beautiful day here.

The last Nikkormat I owned was an FT2, which was a back up for my F2, built like a tank, so for no real reason, I've added this one to my collection, it's a Japanese market Nikormat.

Attachments

• NIKOMAT.jpg
    NIKOMAT.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 9
  • NikomatFT.jpg
    NikomatFT.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 8
  • NikomatFT_.jpg
    NikomatFT_.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Nikomat_top.jpg
    Nikomat_top.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Nikomat_base.jpg
    Nikomat_base.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Resistance is futile.
Hasselblads are iconic (and take good pictures), just buy one. That's if you can actually find a good one.

I know, that's the trouble isn't it. :facepalm:

Anyway, I just picked up a 500C/M in fantastic condition (in its original box) - to say I'm chuffed is an exaggeration. :cool:

If anyone wants a Bronica ETRSi, Mamiya C33 or Rolleiflex TLR (3.5), Nikon F, F2, F3, F4 or F5 - just shout. I really must stop buying old cameras . . . :whistle:

Anyway, I just picked up a 500C/M in fantastic condition (in its original box) - to say I'm chuffed is an exaggeration. :cool:

If anyone wants a Bronica ETRSi, Mamiya C33 or Rolleiflex TLR (3.5), Nikon F, F2, F3, F4 or F5 - just shout. I really must stop buying old cameras . . . :whistle:
My guess is you'll be impressed by the image quality.
Can I ask what lens you got with it?

Can I ask what lens you got with it?

I got the 80mm planar and intend getting the 150 at some point soon.

I've just stuck a roll of HP5 in so I can do a quick shoot and process turnaround today/tomorrow and I've ordered a roll of Kodak Gold for a try as I've not tried it yet in 120. If it's any good I'll get a few as the price is pretty good ATM.

Let me know when the Rolleiflex 3.5f is in the classifieds - very interested

I would be interested in the Nikon F

Back