The new, nationwide, travelling camera challenge

And the theme is....??

:)

Well, I just made a suggestion and no one has disagreed.

Let's make it official:

The theme is "Britain through the eyes of Loretta the Nettar."

So, just show us two of your favourite locations in your area, or something that defines your area.

I'll stick this into the first post.

As it's the same theme for all, everyone can have their shots worked out in advance.

So, let's aim for a two day turnaround.

Yes, "aim for" is good. We don't want any Helga-like time-warps, but I guess we do need to remember the weather this time of year. I've been struggling to find some light for my Vista challenge shots; when it was sunny at the weekend we were entertaining friends... :bang:

Theme No problem, Turnaround also no problem ... it is waterproof right?:p

Likewise Strappy, always up to meet up in Reading for a Coffee so we can hand over :)

Missed the postie yesterday, picked her up from the depot on the way to work today. Weather been a bit horizontal today but i may get a chance today otherwise ill be posting her off on Friday.
She's a belter too!
Can alun pm me his address also?

Last edited:
OK so first may i apologise for my dragging of heels with this. i thought i would have a window of opportunity to complete this task with ample time, how wrong was i! well, after a few greueling shifts and a near miss with the funny farm i have finally taken my two images and will be posting on as soon as i get the next address.
once again, sorry for the delay.

OK, having posted in one of the threads in this area, it may be time to put some money where my mouth may drop me! If there's to be another round/film, add me to the list. I'm slightly crippled by the lack of a driving license at the moment - had a brain op (craniotomy) so had to surrender the license for 4 months (2 left to go!) so may take me longer than 2 days to get the shots I'm hoping for. Absolutely no experience of loading 120, so would rather be in the middle of a roll but happy to sponsor a roll and contribute the change from the note closest to a film's cost toward D&P (as long as that doesn't constitute off classifieds trading, Mark!). If this challenge is all done and dusted, I completely understand and will not be heartbroken - should the lady set off on another round Britain jaunt, please keep me in mind! If she should drop in my lap in an early June, I may even take her overseas (if that's permitted?) - I'm sure she would love looking at a few areas in Crete!

I see no reason why, once it's got back to me and I've taken my 2 shots, it can't go off on another little jaunt.

I'm sure Loretta would love a trip to Crete.

I'll add you to the list and if anyone else wants to join in, we'll just extend the list.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
no worries on the film front - I'll donate even a roll of 120 if we're stuck (theres a catering pack sized ice-cream box full of fillum in the freezer, with little or no chance of me using it in this lifetime, so what's a roll here or there...)

I'm just happy that Helga's travels have inspired one or two subsequent "travelling camera" threads - after the prior travellers pretty much just vanishing into the ether, it NEEDED a camera to actually make it around the loop as intended (even if it was a little slower than originally intended - I thought it MAY run to 9-10 months for Helga's Odyssey, but 18 months on, and she's in the hands of the postal service now, for the final leg :woot:)

Ooh, a race between Helga and Loretta. My money's on the German :D

Thanks very much for the film offer (y)

Can someone tell me please what Loretta's effective focal length is (in 35mm terms)? I was scouting shots today, and there are some that either need a longish focal length or a 30 foot tripod! :shrug:

She's here, might get a chance to get this nailed tomorrow, weather permitting!

OK I must be being thick. I've wound on from Simon's shots, it's displaying 3 in the window, I've set my aperture, shutter speed and focus but I'm getting no response from the shutter release?

Last edited:
pull it to the other end of the slot, and it "winds up" the clockwork shutter :)

basically, the shutter being mounted in the lens is "decoupled" from the film winding mechanism so it's a 2 stage process... wind and cock...

Right that's my part done (hopefully!), ready to send on (y)

Camera looks lovely by the way, but I won't be trading in any of my Olympus gear for one yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
[slightly OT...]Hmmm... Travelling film camera? Lomo Fisheye sitting unused in its box...[/slightly OT...]

Right it's on it's way, sorry it's taken so long I've been busy this week!

Nice one Justin.

I was just beginning to wonder where she had got to.

Good luck, and have fun. (y)

Back