THE PP GAME!

Cheers Jim - I could do without winning again, so hopefully it'll just set the bar - and someone'll go flying right over it. (y)

Opened with ACR
Adjusted clarity up +64 and left WB as it was, reduced highlights and whites a lot.
Upped contrast.
Opened in CS6 and cloned out the foreground
Used the shadows/highlights sliders to get the effect I wanted in the sky, then
Used the unsharp mask filter to sharpen a tadge,
Removed the goal-posts and tractor then
Cropped a bit of the bottom.
Converted to monochrome went back to shadows/highlights and pushed up the midtone contrast to +63
Reduced shadows to 3% and highlights up to 46%
Added slight vignette.
Wasn't going to remove the bloke on the shingle but he annoyed me and so he had to be eliminated :)
Resized for Flickr. Don't know how long it took 'cos I had to go and unload sheep when I was nearly done and forgot the initial things I'd done so did it again, D'oh!

pp work
by Farmejim, on Flickr

FB and critique welcome.

Last edited:
Christ photoshop is not very content aware when it comes to water, this is the best I could do annoyingly, removing the bush was pretty hard and I still don't know if it was worth doing based on the result.

49u5.jpg

Christ photoshop is not very content aware when it comes to water, this is the best I could do annoyingly,

I did it manually... polygon select a (fairly large) area up and left of the bush, transform to increase size (as its closer it'll be bigger), move into place, slight rotate ACW to line up the ripples. mask and soft brush to tidy the join edges, and repeat once more to get right into the corner.. (y)

Last edited:
Yeah Used clone stamp mainly, I tried taking portions and blending them in but the gradual lighting was different and for some reason the perspective too and I was too lazy haha

I'm avidly still reading every posting in this thread but may not take part for a while as I am being forcibly overdosed on PP'ing with 400 wedding photographs to get through for one of my family.

I'm avidly still reading every posting in this thread but may not take part for a while as I am being forcibly overdosed on PP'ing with 400 wedding photographs to get through for one of my family.

Take a break John and have some fun with this instead :) Go on, no-one will know, we won't tell:whistle:

Neil, Magnus do you want CC and feedback?

Rhodese.

Only four entries so far. :shrug:
Come let’s have a competition, ladies? (y)

Rhodese.

Sorry been busy as we are moving house soon so was packing up etc.
I will be offline maybe for a while in a couple of weeks so if I dissapear you will know why but
I will be back ;)

All done in photoshop.

Opened in raw adjust raw sliders to get my overall look and colour.

Straightened image
Copied foreground
Crop image and paste back foreground flatten.
Cloned bottom to suit/ not great but did not like bush or wee bird in the sky.
Vibrance layer
opened shadows and highlights and enhanced sky here.
Some more cloning around the stone edge to get rid of rubbish.
new sharpen layer and used high pass sharpen/reduced opacity
Add border.
Flatten.
Forgot to say I also copied the top of the sky and after a crop to reduce the sky I pasted it back.
Scottish.jpg

Last edited:
John that is a huge task! But I bet you will have fun with it and maybe post a few :)
Cathy

I take few shots, but enjoy PP, but this will send me off on yet another learning curve - perhaps like you have found - in recent months :clap:

I am new to PP and first time in this thread, here is my attempt.

Three exposures +2 0 -1 in Photomatix
upped clarity, cropped and straightened
Used burn tool for Sky and increased its saturation.
Cloned out grass on bottom right.

2iguXpg.jpg

Last edited:
I take few shots, but enjoy PP, but this will send me off on yet another learning curve - perhaps like you have found - in recent months :clap:

John I am so glad you sent me here honestly !
This forum has been a super place to learn and members always willing to help.
I can be slow to learn but always hope to improve each time.
Have fun with your edits it can be very relaxing :)
Cathy

View attachment 395

My effort.
Straightened, flipped, convert to mono, cropped, modify curve, localised brightness & contrast.
For me the interest is in the sky, flipped the image to give a lead-in line from the left, my eyes go straight to the house then follows the line to the lone person on the breakwater.

Last edited:
Those that entered thanks for making the effort, those that didn’t look at what you could have won. :jaffa: Ha Ha.

Down to the nitty gritty,

Graham.
Another fine entry, the moving of the bush balances things nicely. “Straightened”? Says I smirking. The far mountains have detail, as does the sky, though I do think the colour is a tad over the top. The space on the right is important.
Graham I have no idea what the first paragraph of your method is talking about, “microwhat”?

Don't want to win lol, as if.

Like I said a fine entry.

PS, The reason I cut the image off on the right was to avoid a load of rubbish.

Jim.
You know there’s something about your edits that’s very likable, the sky in this one is to be commended, but perhaps a little more red to darken the blue?
Removed the goalposts and tractor, I know they where there, but to me it seemed a funny thing to say.
The water looks great.
The only minus for me is the halo on the skyline.

Neil.
You have not asked for feedback.
I can only judge one, so the mono being the first up that’s the one I’ll consider.
For what it’s worth, I think the colour version is better although I have not considered it for the competition. Sorry.

Magnus.
You haven’t asked for feedback.
This should have been easy for you, an everyday scene.

Cathy.
Again a daily scene for one who lives “up north”.
The way you have reinforced the crop with the foreground gives a nice panoramic look.
There’s detail in the mountains and the house is well balanced.
There are minuses, there is a halo on the skyline and the top left is burnt out.
That said I do like the presentation.

Welcome to the thread of threads.
A fine first effort.
You haven’t asked for feedback so I will leave it at that.

Robert.
I nearly missed your effort, a good job I was late getting here.
Again Robbi you too have not asked for feedback.
Suffice it for me to say “very dramatic”.

In conclusion, the one I’m going for “Jim” halo and all. Well done Jim. Second is Graham and third that goes to Neil.

“You’ve all done very well” :clap:

Before I pass it over to Jim. Two questions, the halos on some of the entries are they a result of over sharpening?
Secondly if the boss is around, Phil the rule about feedback has been discussed before but personally I’m thinking that “Opting out” should be requested, it seems to me people forget to ask for it (me included) and consequently we all miss out on the possible creative thoughts of others.

People what are your opinions.

Jim it's over to you.

My edit, done in 2009, so bear with me, time is no friend to us old uns.

I remember not wanting the house to be so close to the edge so I cloned over the spaces, created by rotating. I split the image into two, top and bottom, applying different degrees of levels/curves and the likes to each. The trees were formed by cloning, using different types of brushes resizing them and picking up colours from all over. A lot of dodging and burning and I think a grey grad was used.

245-1383384790-2b5053bb74c90352bec673ef2b1a2145.jpg

Rhodese.

Neil, sorry I have just seen your reply.
My feedback would have been.
"The mountains have good detail and the house is well defined. The sky is weak compared to the rest of the image, maybe some dodging and burning would have been in order or a simple grey grad.
There is a slight halo on the skyline."
My apologies again, I should have been more observant.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
I think feedback would be great as it will help everyone improve their PP and find out if people actually like them. Rhodese, if you don't mind, any feedback on my entry would be much appreciated, thanks.

I think feedback would be great as it will help everyone improve their PP and find out if people actually like them. Rhodese, if you don't mind, any feedback on my entry would be much appreciated, thanks.

590, Hi.
The edit you have offered is competent in composition though to my eye lacking in appearance.
Personally, I think when using programs that manipulate the whole of an image care should be taken that the modification suit’s the complete picture and in this case, I think the sky has suffered and become too soft.
I’m not sure about the halo on the skyline maybe a wider feather may have helped.
The detail in the mountains is as good as any of the other entries, as is the ground in front of the house. Where the house overlaps with the sky it too has gone soft.
Your cloning skills on the water look OK but for me the foliage of the foreground holds the picture together.
As I have said, it is a nice composition. (y)

(I think the way Graham transposed the foliage from the right to the left made for a better balance.)

(When I split an image into two halves as in my edit, I feather by as much as 150 pixels.)

Until recently there was a contributor to this thread (Pookeyhead, David) whose opinions and edits I thought were of the highest standard. If you care to seek out his posts, I’m sure you would glean many useful tips.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Yeah hay!! :clap: Well done Jim!

Burnt out top left on my edit Argh!! so it is.

Gosh see what happens when you are not giving it your full attention.
I never even spotted that so another good lesson learned for me.
I must take my time and study my results lol!o

Thanks Rhodese, what an honour :)

The halos aren't from over-sharpening but from over-doing the sliders in the shadows/highlights part of PP. Something to watch.
Well done everybody else, especially the new boys/girls!(y)
Lastly I'd just like to thank my Aunt Nelly and my dog Simon de Monteford for making all this possible, sob,sob, sniff,sniff...................turns away to wipe tears.................................. Away from desk and PC so I'll post new test tomoz. Cheers guys:)

PS... I think that critique and F/B on this thread should be the norm. Opting out if you don't want it.

PS... I think that critique and F/B on this thread should be the norm. Opting out if you don't want it.

A very well done Jim :woot:

And I agree FB & CC should be the default position :plus1:

Well done Jim :clap:

I'm more than happy for feedback to be an "opt-out", as in state if you don't wan't to hear the "judge"'s opinion.

Rhodese... SNS-HDR is a "bit" like photomatix for blending exposures, but doesn't scream HDR, which is why I've tried pretty much every way to describe my processes without uttering those three letters! Blending details in the shadows and highlights can reduce overall contrast, and the microdetails and microcontrast are sliders that affect how much detail / midtone contrast is applied. Used it to get details in the clouds here, and also in the pavement in your last image.

SNS also allows a mask to be applied, to only affect certain areas.

PS. I also got a halo above the mountain and house... from overuse of the sliders... (don't think I did any sharpening on this last one, maybe just 2 in ViewNX2) but cloned over it with sky, with the tool set to "darken", (the sky is darker than the halo, but not darker than the mountains / house roof / trees, so the clone only affects the white line of the halo. ;))

I agree that FB and Opting out should be requested.
I need yo get into the habit of adding FB in my post
Cathy

I need to touch up on my post processing skills so I'll be taking part once Jim posts his challenge for a bit of practice and of course, for fun!

Unless I win, then it gets competitive ;)

I'll try my best with feedback too (y)

Magnus.
You haven’t asked for feedback.
Rhodese.

Apologies, I guess I'm just more used to the internet being less cautious, If I'm not being told somethings wrong with my image there's no point in me posting IMO, tell me it's a flippitybopping disaster and (providing you back it up with why) I'll be very appreciative and respect you a lot more. I wasn't aware of the feedback asked thing, I'll do that next time thanks.

This should have been easy for you, an everyday scene.
Rhodese.

Not too sure what you mean by this.

I must say I appreciate this thread so far, it's significantly more productive than any PP game I've seen before, a lot of interesting things I'm able to take from this, so thanks TP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too sure what you mean by this.

Good morning everyone.

Magnus, it was just an aside, a passing remark relating to the “Highlands of Scotland”.
It being your location you would perhaps know how the image should look, sky, lighting and the like.
If I have caused offence then I apologise.

My feedback would have been along the lines,
A good competent edit though the sky appears to lack oomph .
Your reference to “Content aware”. I think it’s one of the better "new toys" but it does have it’s weaknesses, or do we ask too much of it.

Rhodese.

It seems that like opt out of feedback maybe gaining ground. Phil where are you?

Rhodese.

Funnily enough I did see the first two messages on this topic but went back to my wedding editing and forgot about it!

Ok so I don't supoose it matters if it's opt out or opt in, if the general consensus is opt out then we'll just do that from now on...

I'll amend the OP.

Thanks Phil - no police smilie to be found so new one that fits you :boxer:

Jim, I don’t know about “not very exciting” I think it has loads of potential.

Opened in ACR upped exposure by ½ a stop. Opened in PS.
Cropped off the right, but added space to the left.
Copied layer.
Made a selection from the boat on the left, using the polygonal lasso, going through the centre of the bumper rope up to the cabin roof along the roof to the right and to the middle of the cut, down to beyond base of the boat, across to till inline with the start point , double click to join the dots.
Copy and paste into a new layer. Call this layer, COPIED BOAT.
Flip horizontal and move to line up with the bit of the boat that is showing to the rear of the man.
SAVE.
Add a mask to the copied boat layer and hide that that overlaps the man and the boat under him.
Select some tree copy and past in to a new layer move into the space to the upper left.
In transform, stretch it out to fit and again with a mask hide the bits you don’t want.
Repeat for the water and waters edge.
When all is OK, flatten the image.
SAVE.
Make a rough selection of the sky, feather by 100pixels and in levels bring out some detail, invert the selection and in levels adjust to suit.
Still with the selection, apply a slight “S” curve. Deselect.
Create a new layer, fill with 50% grey and set to soft light, using black and white with a soft brush at low values dodge and burn.
SAVE.
Flatten.
Select all and make a border with stroke.
SAVE.
Save for web.
601-1383569336-ffeb64d63341388d0a7cdc8c51c8d4f9.jpg

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone.

Magnus, it was just an aside, a passing remark relating to the “Highlands of Scotland”.
It being your location you would perhaps know how the image should look, sky, lighting and the like.
If I have caused offence then I apologise.

My feedback would have been along the lines,
A good competent edit though the sky appears to lack oomph .
Your reference to “Content aware”. I think it’s one of the better "new toys" but it does have it’s weaknesses, or do we ask too much of it.

Rhodese.
Haha nah no offense taken, no offense will ever be taken by me, actually I find it to be the opposite haha, because I'm used to it.

Back